Treadmills and exercise bikes

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking towards winter and the prospect that there will be evenings when I can't complete my walk.

I thought it might be an idea to invest in a treadmill and/ or exercise bike. However, I can't afford to pay hundreds of pounds. I wondered about checking eBay and the like but I don't know which models are value for money. They don't have to be all singing and dancing, but sturdy. I'm 14st 9lb now so I think I'm within the weight limit of most models.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my exercise bike from eBay. Nothing flash . Shows speed, distance, cals and heart rate. £13 absolute bargain. Just have a browse if it looks flimsy in the pics it probably is.

t1
Diagnosed 14/02/2013
44 years old
basal/bolus

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also check on gumtree they often have bargains.

t1
Diagnosed 14/02/2013
44 years old
basal/bolus

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my exercise bike from eBay. Nothing flash . Shows speed, distance, cals and heart rate. £13 absolute bargain. Just have a browse if it looks flimsy in the pics it probably is.

t1
Diagnosed 14/02/2013
44 years old
basal/bolus

What brand is it? Thanks for the info. :)

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry can't remember off hand and not at home right now. I do know that it wasn't one of the big names if you know what I mean. Like I said its basic but does the job and for the price its a winner.

t1
Diagnosed 14/02/2013
44 years old
basal/bolus

Egerton

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Peacetrain,
There are lots of sites where you can get economical workout equipment so browse internet and you might get affordable treadmill or exercise bike in your budget. Besides cardio exercises, watch what you eat and have balance diet meal plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would try a gym first to make sure you actually enjoy one and are capable of using it. Very good quality, comfy , informative and stable ones are hundreds of pounds most of the time, just depends on what you would like. I have tried cheap ones and difference really is extreme.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worth looking at freecycle if you have one in your area
CAROL

Reactions: OrsonKartt

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I've been to gyms in the past and I really can't justify the expense. I walk every evening but want something else for when the weather is very bad, especially when winter arrives.
I used to be a regular on free cycle so I may give it a try.
Thanks again.

dhano

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would try a gym first to make sure you actually enjoy one and are capable of using it.
i am quite agree with this.. i think you should join any gym or boot camp center (link deactivated) before getting your own equipment.. There you could learn how to do exercises in proper way and how much to do and all that

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My daughter is doing a marathon in London at the end of this year.
I paid £40 for a powered treadmill off ebay for her to have a work out on.
It's not a brand I know, but it's decent, solid enough for me to use,
I figured even if it was rubbish, it wasn't a lot, and could always be sold on.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you thought about a turbo trainer? Mount your road bike or MTB on it in the winter, train in the warm and dry and then you can take your bike out in the summer.

Reactions: Serena51

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with ElyDave on this. If you have a bike, a turbotrainer is a much cheaper option of getting the same feel as a quality exercise bike, and of course, you can use it on the road.

I got one and used my son's old bike. I built a trekking bike later which I use on the cycleways and now I got a mountain bike as well. I still use the turbo trainer though and have upgraded to a fancy one which links into a computer.

The basic ones are still better than a cheap exercise bike, much smoother and offering many levels of resistance if your bike has gears.

tacx-sirus-soft-gel-t1435-turbo-trainer.jpg

You can always find them on ebay at decent prices too. I got an entry level model by an italian company by the name of elite, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite-Vol...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2a41f9f030

There's loads on ebay as well as cheap bikes if you don't have one.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DOn't forget you need the special tyre though. Harder compound to cope with the heat from the roller.

MiguelReel98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One reason why I bought my own treadmill is that I can use it anytime I want. I can also have my exercise while watching news or my favorite TV show. To find the model selection guide you can see from www.bestsellingreviews.com

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Be aware of the big difference between a treadmill and a stationary bike. With the former you must support your body weight whilst walking, not so with the latter. This is a very important difference.I have tried both and found that the stationary bicycle is a good clothes hanger and the treadmill a very good exercise apparatus.

LorrOliv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I bought a used Exercise Bike with a good price. I think the best thing to do is to find a used one but still in good condition, that's if you are really on a budget.