I suppose it'a a step in the right direction

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
This is why I don't read newspapers. What a load of nothingness, like a politician speaking. Who banned competitive sports in schools, because it wasn't "fair" on the ones that weren't going to win? Who allowed fast food outlets to set up shop on our High Streets? Why have we changed from manual work in industry to customer service sat in offices? etc, etc.

Obesity was a problem that was always going to hit our way of life here, just the 3 examples above prove it was inevitable, and Governments were fully aware of this fact.

What I take great offence at, is not all people are overweight because they eat too much. I am one of them. So there are several more factors to look at when talking about getting people to loose weight. Do they think any of us choose to be overweight? But, the onus has been put squarely in our laps, it's Our fault. What about the 3 changes to our society I mentioned above?, and there will be plenty more, these 3 are just an example.

Who is responsible for making those decisions?

That article did not address the issue of obesity at all, pathetic.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose what annoyed me was the fact that when you see a dietitian on TV talking about what makes us fat they often have a table full of fizzy drinks, bowls of sugar and some pastries. In fact, I think I have seen several similar demo's. They seem to know what's bad for us

Now when NICE tells us to get thin we get,
  • Plan to reduce calorie intake, but not ban specific foods or food groups
I was trying to think of a suitable, non food based, comment. Mealy mouthed didn't do it. Having your cake and eating it seemed inappropriate. Hypocritical ............that's the one.

migraine

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Obesity is a gigantic problem... there is no short term process or medicine for obesity.. it take lots of time to reduce... so keep dieting on..

=========================
Stress headaches

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I suppose what annoyed me was the fact that when you see a dietitian on TV talking about what makes us fat they often have a table full of fizzy drinks, bowls of sugar and some pastries. In fact, I think I have seen several similar demo's. They seem to know what's bad for us

Now when NICE tells us to get thin we get,
  • Plan to reduce calorie intake, but not ban specific foods or food groups
I was trying to think of a suitable, non food based, comment. Mealy mouthed didn't do it. Having your cake and eating it seemed inappropriate. Hypocritical ............that's the one.
If nice want us to lose weight then they need to stop giving **** advice and tell people to get rid of sugar and starchy carbs. People really would lose stones in weight then. Oh but then that's only worked for us low carb radicals on this forum!
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just don't see the point to newspaper articles, tv discussions, anything to do with diet, health and fitness. Non diagnosis of medical conditions, over prescribed drugs, miss information on what our diets should consist of, the list goes on as to what can cause obesity in reality.

I believe a lot of our problems today living in this country are Government (successive) caused. If "they" were really concerned as to how unfit and unwell our society would get, which was inevitable, we follow America, they wouldn't have banned sports and games in schools. I did 4 hours of games / P E a week. They would have limited the amount of fast food outlets everywhere, they would have subsidised fresh fruit and vegetables, there would be gym type equipment in parks, there are hundreds of things this country could have done to offset the onslaught of obesity. they didn't, and it's only now that there are piecemeal projects dotted about that have addressed the issue.

I have a Business Management Degree, but I learned the majority of my life skills as a housewife for 40 years. It didn't need a risk assessment team, forward planning team, future project team to work out, if you stop the physical movement of children in schools; allow fast food outlets to be so prevalent everywhere, sell the most unhealthy carb ridden food types cheaply, allow children to sit in front of the t.v, games unit, whatever instead of making them play out, that we would have an obesity epidemic just around the corner. So, as a housewife, I knew, don't buy those unhealthy foods for the kids to eat, don't allow hours of time sat in front of the t.v, gaming, etc, get the kids involved in sports activities, were all things I knew I had to do to stop my kids being part of the obese statistics. I was successful, not one of my 3 children, (now adults) is overweight or unhealthy. So if as a little housewife I knew how to prevent it happening to my kids, all governments needed to do was the same, just on a larger scale. Also, invest money into park schemes, reduce costs of gyms, swimming pools, subsidise fresh fruit and vegetables, the list could go on as to how the Governments could have staived off the epidemic arriving, they didn't. WHY?

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I can hear the food industry lobbying machine from here ...

C

catherinecherub

If nice want us to lose weight then they need to stop giving **** advice and tell people to get rid of sugar and starchy carbs. People really would lose stones in weight then. Oh but then that's only worked for us low carb radicals on this forum!
View attachment 4997

Do you really think that only people who follow a LC/HF diet are able to lose weight?
Have you ever thought that there are people on the forum who do not follow you and yet have lost the weight that they needed to? Carb and fat intake varies on the forum. There are people who follow Slimming World and Weight Watchers who get to their ideal weight and never put the weight on again.

I was given plenty of advice from my excellent G.P. as to how to adapt a low G.I. diet for a diabetic. It worked fine for me, lost 4 stone in 4 months and never looked back.
I became unwell due to an overactive thyroid a few years ago, now under control, and during that time I had difficulty keeping the weight on but am now back to my ideal weight give or take a pound or two.
I was never overweight until I had some very personal problems and for 4 months I ate for comfort, resulting in gaining 4 stone, yes 4 stone in as many months.

11 years on and I still follow my eating plan, blood sugars are stable, HBA1c has little variation, all other markers under control.

My whole family, maternal and paternal side do not have a weight problem and I am sure there are several sub groups within the umbrella of Type 2 or we would not have 20% of people having a normal weight at diagnosis and some being able to tolerate more carbs than others. There is no one size fits all.

We have to find an eating plan that works for us and our meter rather than follow someone else's strategy as we are individual in our genetics as we are in our likes and dislikes of food.

I read the thread about being intolerant of carbs and yet time and time again people who are eating very few carbs are constantly moaning about falling off the wagon with a carb fest. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would anyone who thinks they are carb intolerant make a conscious choice to eat carbs or am I missing something?

Reactions: 6 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Catherinecherub, well said. I'm struggling with the LCHF diet, but as you said, we're all different genetically and respond differently to different things. I tried Weight Watchers and lost half a pound in 4 weeks, she said I wasn't eating enough, I didn't go back.

I struggle with food in that I have no interest in it, eat very little, yet am over 3 stones overweight. So, overeating didn't make me fat in the first place so I'm not sure any diet is going to reduce my weight significantly. That is why I dispair when medical person after another tells me I should eat a well balanced diet, low fat low calorie. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I DO EAT! But, I'm overweight, therefore I Must overeat all the bad stuff.

I would struggle with all diets / eating plans, but I do know a lot of people swear by and are loosing the weight on the LCHF plan, so good on you to those who it is working for. BUT, the subject does dominate the threads, so perhaps we all have to be careful that the LCHF plan is not the Only one suggested as the ideal one for diabetics. xx

I have also started smoking again as it helps me over this depression and dispair about what I eat versus my weight / diabetes, so no worries, I'll die of lung cancer, sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you really think that only people who follow a LC/HF diet are able to lose weight?
Have you ever thought that there are people on the forum who do not follow you and yet have lost the weight that they needed to? Carb and fat intake varies on the forum. There are people who follow Slimming World and Weight Watchers who get to their ideal weight and never put the weight on again.

I was given plenty of advice from my excellent G.P. as to how to adapt a low G.I. diet for a diabetic. It worked fine for me, lost 4 stone in 4 months and never looked back.
I became unwell due to an overactive thyroid a few years ago, now under control, and during that time I had difficulty keeping the weight on but am now back to my ideal weight give or take a pound or two.
I was never overweight until I had some very personal problems and for 4 months I ate for comfort, resulting in gaining 4 stone, yes 4 stone in as many months.

11 years on and I still follow my eating plan, blood sugars are stable, HBA1c has little variation, all other markers under control.

My whole family, maternal and paternal side do not have a weight problem and I am sure there are several sub groups within the umbrella of Type 2 or we would not have 20% of people having a normal weight at diagnosis and some being able to tolerate more carbs than others. There is no one size fits all.

We have to find an eating plan that works for us and our meter rather than follow someone else's strategy as we are individual in our genetics as we are in our likes and dislikes of food.

I read the thread about being intolerant of carbs and yet time and time again people who are eating very few carbs are constantly moaning about falling off the wagon with a carb fest. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would anyone who thinks they are carb intolerant make a conscious choice to eat carbs or am I missing something?
hi Catherine,
Of corse I don't think LCHF or low carb moderate fat is the only way to lose weight, as I indeed have been careful to state in several threads to which I have responded. However, what is the point in taking metformin or whatever medicine you have prescribed to lower bs, then eating carbs with every meal (as per the dn at our hospital) which then negate the effect for some of us. My bs, for example, goes from between 5.5-6.5 into double figures if I eat rice, pasta or bread. Please don't tell me that I have to eat carbs as a source of energy, as per the NHS advice, as there is plenty of research which has been verified, to show that fat can be used as an alternative source of energy. I believe that @Totto has a list of research, I can ask her for it, if you want to read it. If I had a pound for every member who has followed the appalling medical advice which they have been given and found that they couldn't have an operation because their blood sugar is too high, I'd be a rich woman. I have tried eating a low fat diet, lost 2 stone and then put it back on and some more. LCHF reduces weight, bs and for some members even cholestrol. When I have my own cholestrol results back, then I will be able to say what the impact is on that as well as my halved bs in less than 3 months and my current 2 stone 4lb weight loss. There is a lot of variety on a LCHF diet and I have no intention of going back to low fat. Besides, the fat has to be substituted with something to make it more palatable and that is usually sugar. I picked up a variety of full fat and low fat yoghurt. All of them had over 10% added sugar.
It is interesting that every time I have asked why I should eat something which causes my bs to rise, when as a diabetic I am trying to lower my bs using medication that I have been treated to frosty silence. Why not provide an answer? In my profession, if I am asked a question by either a student or a parent where I don't know the answer, then I always say " that's a good question. I don't know but I'll find out and get back to you." And I do. I do realise that not everyone had the confidence to do this but if you are going to give advice to people then it's not unreasonable to expect them to answer questions or go away and find the answers. To date, neither the dn at the surgery or the hospital or 2 of the docs at my surgery has responded to my question. The uk diabetes website which is used for advice by many health care professionals advocates that people make cakes with half the sugar. Why? Strikes me that they've given up on people and are just going for damage limitation.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Catherinecherub, well said. I'm struggling with the LCHF diet, but as you said, we're all different genetically and respond differently to different things. I tried Weight Watchers and lost half a pound in 4 weeks, she said I wasn't eating enough, I didn't go back.

I struggle with food in that I have no interest in it, eat very little, yet am over 3 stones overweight. So, overeating didn't make me fat in the first place so I'm not sure any diet is going to reduce my weight significantly. That is why I dispair when medical person after another tells me I should eat a well balanced diet, low fat low calorie. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I DO EAT! But, I'm overweight, therefore I Must overeat all the bad stuff.

I would struggle with all diets / eating plans, but I do know a lot of people swear by and are loosing the weight on the LCHF plan, so good on you to those who it is working for. BUT, the subject does dominate the threads, so perhaps we all have to be careful that the LCHF plan is not the Only one suggested as the ideal one for diabetics. xx

I have also started smoking again as it helps me over this depression and dispair about what I eat versus my weight / diabetes, so no worries, I'll die of lung cancer, sorted.
Hi Lunarlinda,
Have you had your thyroid checked out? What about vitamin D deficiency if neither LCHF or low fat work?

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Funnily, my Dad and his sister had an under active thyroid, and again, they were rotund in shape but eating very little, so it's always been a test I was eager to have. I have had Lots of blood tests done over the past years, and have Stressed I wanted my thyroid done as I thought it could possibly an answer, but Every time, results back, thyroid's "fine". I think it got popular in the 90's to try get on thyroxine as it reduces weight. So, I was probably just looked on as another one of those groupies wanting to get it prescribed for weight loss. I've never been checked for vit D ?

I've a blood results appointment this afternoon and I've no idea how I'm going to react to what she says. I'll either be upset, just agree and get out as soon as I can, or I'll rip her head off!! :playful: xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Funnily, my Dad and his sister had an under active thyroid, and again, they were rotund in shape but eating very little, so it's always been a test I was eager to have. I have had Lots of blood tests done over the past years, and have Stressed I wanted my thyroid done as I thought it could possibly an answer, but Every time, results back, thyroid's "fine". I think it got popular in the 90's to try get on thyroxine as it reduces weight. So, I was probably just looked on as another one of those groupies wanting to get it prescribed for weight loss.

I've a blood results appointment this afternoon and I've no idea how I'm going to react to what she says. I'll either be upset, just agree and get out as soon as I can, or I'll rip her head off!! :playful: xx
What about vitamin D?

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Soz, just edited my other post. I've never been tested specifically for Vit D. xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a great post Catherine :)

It is a step in the right direction, 3% is doable for most people and it's only a starting point in which to begin, I'm a firm believer that the slower you lose weight the less likely you are to put it back on, any weight loss is beneficial to all-round health.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are farmers. If you want your pigs fat, feed them carbs. Our metabolism as humans are similar to pigs. If we eat a lot of carbs we get fat. This is basic nutrition knowledge and why health authorities fail to grasp it I don't know.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can hear the food industry lobbying machine from here ...
I re-quote this comment to which I replied, yeah Big Nosher. Funny but serious at the same time.

If a Government body said, "Nobody eat sugar as of tomorrow". There would be a lot of people in North London who would be out of work tomorrow.

Similarly if the law said, "Low fat products are banned". Lots of prepared food factories would shut. It would be economic suicide.

To make a change it would be necessary to make the population vote with its feet. If people gave up sugar (for example) since they thought it was bad for them then they would be exercising freedom of choice and the factories would only close down slowly.

I can quite understand Big Nosher wanting the Government to cool it after all they were trying to feed us not medicate us.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We are farmers. If you want your pigs fat, feed them carbs. Our metabolism as humans are similar to pigs. If we eat a lot of carbs we get fat. This is basic nutrition knowledge and why health authorities fail to grasp it I don't know.
My point exactly! :)

K

Kat100

hi Catherine,
Of corse I don't think LCHF or low carb moderate fat is the only way to lose weight, as I indeed have been careful to state in several threads to which I have responded. However, what is the point in taking metformin or whatever medicine you have prescribed to lower bs, then eating carbs with every meal (as per the dn at our hospital) which then negate the effect for some of us. My bs, for example, goes from between 5.5-6.5 into double figures if I eat rice, pasta or bread. Please don't tell me that I have to eat carbs as a source of energy, as per the NHS advice, as there is plenty of research which has been verified, to show that fat can be used as an alternative source of energy. I believe that @Totto has a list of research, I can ask her for it, if you want to read it. If I had a pound for every member who has followed the appalling medical advice which they have been given and found that they couldn't have an operation because their blood sugar is too high, I'd be a rich woman. I have tried eating a low fat diet, lost 2 stone and then put it back on and some more. LCHF reduces weight, bs and for some members even cholestrol. When I have my own cholestrol results back, then I will be able to say what the impact is on that as well as my halved bs in less than 3 months and my current 2 stone 4lb weight loss. There is a lot of variety on a LCHF diet and I have no intention of going back to low fat. Besides, the fat has to be substituted with something to make it more palatable and that is usually sugar. I picked up a variety of full fat and low fat yoghurt. All of them had over 10% added sugar.
It is interesting that every time I have asked why I should eat something which causes my bs to rise, when as a diabetic I am trying to lower my bs using medication that I have been treated to frosty silence. Why not provide an answer? In my profession, if I am asked a question by either a student or a parent where I don't know the answer, then I always say " that's a good question. I don't know but I'll find out and get back to you." And I do. I do realise that not everyone had the confidence to do this but if you are going to give advice to people then it's not unreasonable to expect them to answer questions or go away and find the answers. To date, neither the dn at the surgery or the hospital or 2 of the docs at my surgery has responded to my question. The uk diabetes website which is used for advice by many health care professionals advocates that people make cakes with half the sugar. Why? Strikes me that they've given up on people and are just going for damage limitation.
Hi scandichic , you have always been fair to advocate everyone's individual diet choices....... :)