Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you get your paneer? Asda used to stock it but obviously I was the only one buying it so it vanished.

Actually, we were out at a restaurant - aren't you impressed I managed not to eat one grain of rice?
:couchpotato:

I vaguely remember reading about a cheese that will sub for paneer. If I can remember what it is, I will let you know...

Edited to add:

It was queso blanco.
And I imagine that halloumi might work too, so long as it didn't have too much mint (?) in it.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could do with a meal out....I'm missing the odd night off from cooking and washing up.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curry really is ok on a LCHF diet - I don't even miss the bread and rice any more. Well, only a bit.

I just pick not-sweet, not-creamy curries and order one or two not-potato veg dishes.

This evening, my BG was 6.8 after 2 hours. That is lower than I usually achieve with home cooking!

Reactions: 5 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I could do with a meal out....I'm missing the odd night off from cooking and washing up.
Whatever you do,don't go for a chinese - the community theatre where I do voluntary work did a chinese buffet last week to say thank you for our hard work. I tend to go for vegetarian dishes because I'm allergic to fish. There was only a couple of vegetarian choices (spring rolls and boiled rice groan) and by the time I got back home it was too late to do the 2 hr test. My FBG the next morning? 8.6 :oops:

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do,don't go for a chinese - the community theatre where I do voluntary work did a chinese buffet last week to say thank you for our hard work. I tend to go for vegetarian dishes because I'm allergic to fish. There was only a couple of vegetarian choices (spring rolls and boiled rice groan) and by the time I got back home it was too late to do the 2 hr test. My FBG the next morning? 8.6 :oops:

Not a massive Chinese fan as the MSG sets my heart racing and gives me the headache from hell. I'll just have to go to for an Indians and pretend naans and mushroom pilau don't exist.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curry really is ok on a LCHF diet - I don't even miss the bread and rice any more. Well, only a bit.

I just pick not-sweet, not-creamy curries and order one or two not-potato veg dishes.

This evening, my BG was 6.8 after 2 hours. That is lower than I usually achieve with home cooking!

Yes I figure a curry should be ok - I don't like the sweet and creamy ones so I won't miss them, and I'd get some cauli side dish an sit and watch mr ethyl munch his way through a naan and rice.....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Where do you get your paneer? Asda used to stock it but obviously I was the only one buying it so it vanished.
I have bought paneer from Sainsburys and Tesco. The Sainsburys one is nicer. Lots of cook books tell me it is very easy to make. Not sure I believe them!

Yesterday's food will be the same as today's...

Breakfast: cheesy omelette
Lunch: Greek yogurt, strawberries, creamy decaf.
Dinner: roast veg mountain with feta and quorn sausages
Snacks: nuts and 85% chocolate

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought paneer from Sainsburys and Tesco. The Sainsburys one is nicer. Lots of cook books tell me it is very easy to make. Not sure I believe them!

Yesterday's food will be the same as today's...

Breakfast: cheesy omelette
Lunch: Greek yogurt, strawberries, creamy decaf.
Dinner: roast veg mountain with feta and quorn sausages
Snacks: nuts and 85% chocolate

I think Sainsburys in Lancaster stock it so when I next go down to see junior ill stock up. I did once try to make it but just ended up with a load of sour milk all over bench.
Roast veg and feta... Mmmm. I wish there was only me to feed as I like all these things but Mr E feels bereft if his plate isn't 50% carbs and 50% more carbs. I've taken to buying ready made Yorkshire puddings and just sticking three of them on his plate to stave off complaint. To be fair he's cutting down too and has lost loads of weight in last 6 weeks ( more than me!!!) too but he isn't ready to ditch the carbs yet even though I tank it would help his allergies.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
God I wish they'd stop advertising pizza everywhere :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My SIL must feel the same way as she always buys one of us a Pizza Express voucher for birthdays or Xmas. Neither of us really like pizza that much and their pasta dishes are a bit pants. At least the diagnosis might mean a slightly better present.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss pizza the most x

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't say I'd ever miss it. I miss a baked spud the most. 2 st off and I'm having a small one.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast: an emergency low carb fry up. Completely forgot brekkie! Trundled into tescos to use vouchers to get a sexy new microwave, then felt the BG plummeting on the way home! Crisis! Had to commando roll into a garden centre, walk very slowly into the cafe and sit down carefully before inhaling 2 sausages, an egg, 2 rashers, half tom, several mushrooms and a coffee with cream. Phew! Caught it just in time, otherwise I would have felt dire all day.
This is what I have been missing from my hypo treatment repertoire - the commando roll! This site is an endless source of learning. :)

Reactions: 4 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss currrys the most :confused: with all the side dishes! :bigtears:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF pizza (not on my strict meny at the moment) http://lowcarbhealthyfat.com/2013/07/14/1963/
Is that base solid enough to pick up and eat with fingers, like a normal pizza?

I ask because I made a cauli flour pizza base at the weekend, and was bitterly disappointed in the texture - no different from mashed cauli. Had to spoon it up with a fork... I wanted that droopy-dough-catch-the-sliding-cheese experience.

So I'm still looking...

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoghurt muesli mix with seeds and coffee. Was supposed to have eggs but couldn't face it!

Chicken and bacon roast with garlic and green beans

Romaine lettuce and dip (really enjoyed this! Still not Doritos but nice!)

Cheeseburger in lettuce.

Cheesecake for later if I feel like it. Been v hungry today for some reason!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you run a food diary? Is it worth reviewing it to ensure you are eating enough, cumulatively over the past few days?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I keep track of everything! I do eat lots so nothing to worry about there! Could be thirst maybe as I've not been clinging to the bottle so much last couple of days...

Status
Not open for further replies.