Chronic Kidney Disease - My Good News

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Well! I couldn't find the thread where I was talking to someone about CKD when I was concerned about the LCHF diet and the effect that might have on my one remaining kidney.

Since I changed my diet, my kidney function (GFR) went up from 54 to 57. I had some more blood test results yesterday and it has now gone up to 63! Above 60 is deemed to be grade 2 kidney disease so I have now moved away from grade 3. This is wonderful news for me and proof that my diet is doing something miraculous to my kidney function. :)

Reactions: 20 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great news for you. Out of interest, how low carb is your diet?

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband has chronic Kidney disease and had begun on the road to dialysis. I did my homework and read of the benefits of a low protein diet [we're already low carb] and reduced our proteins. He's offthe dialysis track[review in 12 months time], kidney function up to where it was 3 years ago [sorry I don't remember the numbers]
Hana
PS we eat TONS of Veggies

Reactions: 4 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
My T1 husband has chronic Kidney disease and had begun on the road to dialysis. I did my homework and read of the benefits of a low protein diet [we're already low carb] and reduced our proteins. He's offthe dialysis track[review in 12 months time], kidney function up to where it was 3 years ago [sorry I don't remember the numbers]
Hana
PS we eat TONS of Veggies

That's great! I have been eating a low protein diet since I was diagnosed with grade 3 and it did go up from 46 - 54 in eighteen months. I thought I would be stuck there. The only difference in my diet now really is far less carbs and some saturated fat almost every day. I had been on low fat products for all of those 18 months. I have always eaten quite a lot of veg but even more so now.

Did you know that red bell peppers are very good for kidney function. I get through at least 2 every week. Black/red grapes are too but I can't tolerate those too well sugar wise.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great! I have been eating a low protein diet since I was diagnosed with grade 3 and it did go up from 46 - 54 in eighteen months. I thought I would be stuck there. The only difference in my diet now really is far less carbs and some saturated fat almost every day. I had been on low fat products for all of those 18 months. I have always eaten quite a lot of veg but even more so now.

Did you know that red bell peppers are very good for kidney function. I get through at least 2 every week. Black/red grapes are too but I can't tolerate those too well sugar wise.
I am so pleased for you. I am one of the ones who said that my own kidney function had improved with LCHF, but I hesitated on actually advising that you to do it yourself because of your CKD, and my knowledge didn't stretch that far. But 63% is brilliant. I am thrilled. I was stage 2 at one point and my last GFR test showed a function of >90. Thanks for sharing you have made my day.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I am so pleased for you. I am one of the ones who said that my own kidney function had improved with LCHF, but I hesitated on actually advising that you to do it yourself because of your CKD, and my knowledge didn't stretch that far. But 63% is brilliant. I am thrilled. I was stage 2 at one point and my last GFR test showed a function of >90. Thanks for sharing you have made my day.

Thanks so much Zand. Sorry I had forgotten who was in that original conversation. >90 is brilliant news for you too. It takes a little pressure off when you know that what you are doing isn't doing your kidney function any harm and in fact is doing it good. That was 75% of my worry when I was told I was prediabetic. I knew diabetes wasn't happening NOW but I did know my kidney disease was and had visions of it going further in decline if I couldn't get to grips with prediabetes. It's given me some hope. :)

I didn't get the BG result but she said it was normal too!! I will ask my doc for the figure the next time I go to surgery.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well! I couldn't find the thread where I was talking to someone about CKD when I was concerned about the LCHF diet and the effect that might have on my one remaining kidney.

Since I changed my diet, my kidney function (GFR) went up from 54 to 57. I had some more blood test results yesterday and it has now gone up to 63! Above 60 is deemed to be grade 2 kidney disease so I have now moved away from grade 3. This is wonderful news for me and proof that my diet is doing something miraculous to my kidney function. :)
:) Great news.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That all sounds incredibly positive SLC. It shows your hard work and angst has paid dividends. Well done.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent new and hopefully your fears about the dangers of LCHF have now been put to rest. Must be a huge relief to have achieved such a great improvement.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful news for you. I'm so pleased.

I had my results today. I don't have kidney disease, all functions normal. However, 2 months ago my eGFR was 68. Today it has gone up to 79. I have also been lowish carbing on about 70g a day with increased fats but not overdoing the fats.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful news for you. I'm so pleased.

I had my results today. I don't have kidney disease, all functions normal. However, 2 months ago my eGFR was 68. Today it has gone up to 79. I have also been lowish carbing on about 70g a day with increased fats but not overdoing the fats.
Interesting - I've never taken much notice of mine since it's always been above 59, but after reading this I did a check. When diagnosed mine was 60, then again 60 at my yearly review in 2013 - but this year it's gone up to 90! So I'm well chuffed now.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

That's wonderful news and I'm so happy for you, you're obviously doing the right things :)

Lilliepop

That's wonderful news and I'm so happy for you, you're obviously doing the right things :)
Hi that is great news. I understand so well how it has made you happy. I had kidney failure was on dialysis for a year and was so lucky to have a kidney transplant nine years ago. I'm still at stage three but think I always will be. I was very worried about going on a low carb diet but my blood test are fine. But now I can see how well your doing it's made me feel even better. Very pleased for you.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Interesting - I've never taken much notice of mine since it's always been above 59, but after reading this I did a check. When diagnosed mine was 60, then again 60 at my yearly review in 2013 - but this year it's gone up to 90! So I'm well chuffed now.

Wow! That's a huge leap. So pleased for you and it makes me even more hopeful :)

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hi that is great news. I understand so well how it has made you happy. I had kidney failure was on dialysis for a year and was so lucky to have a kidney transplant nine years ago. I'm still at stage three but think I always will be. I was very worried about going on a low carb diet but my blood test are fine. But now I can see how well your doing it's made me feel even better. Very pleased for you.

Thanks :) Stage 3 is a long way off from dialysis so I am pleased you have made it that far. Must have been a very scary time for you. We tend to take our organs for granted don't we?