just diagnosed and confused

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Just worked out a normal days food intake before joining this forum average 300g + of carbs and that is conservative My surgery has a lot to answer for as it would seem a lot of surgeries do

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
oh and also when I went to see the dietican and told her of my eating on atypical day she said that what I was eating meant the odd double bounty bar would not do me any harm if I only treated myself once or twice a week

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just worked out a normal days food intake before joining this forum average 300g + of carbs and that is conservative My surgery has a lot to answer for as it would seem a lot of surgeries do

With respect, your surgery can't be held accountable for your carb intake leading to diagnosis, or is that not what you're saying?

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
this is since my diagnosis NOT before

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
oh and also when I went to see the dietican and told her of my eating on atypical day she said that what I was eating meant the odd double bounty bar would not do me any harm if I only treated myself once or twice a week
My dietician, who I actually think is very good and very research-based and a modern thinker also said the same. An odd chocolate bar is NOT going to be a problem, so long as it's not a frequent thing. The problem is when one choccy bar turns into two...and into 3 etc.

Reactions: 3 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
My dietician, who I actually think is very good and very research-based and a modern thinker also said the same. An odd chocolate bar is NOT going to be a problem, so long as it's not a frequent thing. The problem is when one choccy bar turns into two...and into 3 etc.
i agree entirely, but when your hba1c is 111 you cut out all chocolate and sweets and increase carbs to compensate only to find 4 weeks later that it is higher, no explanation except "your Pancreas is probably packing up you made need insulin, but for now just double your meds from 2 to 4 Gliclazide a day, Had I started a low carb regime when tested at 111 I might not be having this conversation now, this forum was the 1st time I was ever aware of the impotence of carbs, enough moaning for now there are a lot worse situations around I will just have to get on with it now that I know

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
They told me mine was 45 and in the waiting room. today when they phoned because of all my new symptoms and loosing 3Kg in 2 montshand me thinking the diabetes had got worse, he said you never had it in june just a bit raised so next week got have extra blood test for all sorts one is thyroid and chest xray so god knows what he thinks it is now.

Starting to think none of them actually know what they are doing.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They told me mine was 45 and in the waiting room. today when they phoned because of all my new symptoms and loosing 3Kg in 2 montshand me thinking the diabetes had got worse, he said you never had it in june just a bit raised so next week got have extra blood test for all sorts one is thyroid and chest xray so god knows what he thinks it is now.

Starting to think none of them actually know what they are doing.

An HbA1c of 45 is not diabetic. It is pre-diabetic. Diabetes is diagnosed from 48 upwards.

andy40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
An HbA1c of 45 is not diabetic. It is pre-diabetic. Diabetes is diagnosed from 48 upwards.

I must have something else wrong then because i have lost 3Kg in 2 months starving hungry nearly all the time have thrush most weeks and eye site has gone downhill.

Doris date

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, not much of that makes any sense to me. If I understand the nature of the Hba1c test then taking them two weeks apart is not going to give a significantly different result. Also, you say you are 69 and you are not diabetic. It does mean that in my opinion unless your doctor needs two readings before he makes it official.

Perhaps you had better come back after the next test when the situation might be clearer.