Type 2 and normal HbA1c with just diet/exercise

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Normally I wouldn't brag about my results as they seem not that unusual for people following a LCHF diet on this forum, so I won't - just the facts.

Three months ago I stopped taking metformin and my HbA1c was 6% - not too bad. I also changed my diet from low carb to very low carb; ketogenic, in fact.

Today I got my latest HbA1c results: 5.6% / 37.7 mmol/mol. Very chuffed.

I got the results from my pharmacist ("chemist" in the UK, I believe); they have access to patients' lab results where I live. She was very happy with my results. She had a colleague there as well who had done our local version of the diabetic educator training. I told them I hadn't been taking metformin for 3 months and they were a bit surprised. The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I was both shocked at this low number and yet not surprised as I knew what they recommend type 2 diabetics to eat. I suspect the percentage of type 2 diabetics on this forum who have had success with LCHF and no meds is much greater than 2%. Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest to control my blood glucose levels - thanks to all of you!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Now you've set ME a challenge :) Great work and worthy of applause :)

Reactions: 6 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Normally I wouldn't brag about my results as they seem not that unusual for people following a LCHF diet on this forum, so I won't - just the facts.

Three months ago I stopped taking metformin and my HbA1c was 6% - not too bad. I also changed my diet from low carb to very low carb; ketogenic, in fact.

Today I got my latest HbA1c results: 5.6% / 37.7 mmol/mol. Very chuffed.

I got the results from my pharmacist ("chemist" in the UK, I believe); they have access to patients' lab results where I live. She was very happy with my results. She had a colleague there as well who had done our local version of the diabetic educator training. I told them I hadn't been taking metformin for 3 months and they were a bit surprised. The second person then spouted off something he'd learned in his training: only 1 to 2% of type 2 diabetics manage to get and keep control of their diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I was both shocked at this low number and yet not surprised as I knew what they recommend type 2 diabetics to eat. I suspect the percentage of type 2 diabetics on this forum who have had success with LCHF and no meds is much greater than 2%. Anyway, I tried to tell them that the official recommended diet is why that number was so low, but they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili. At least I tried. I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse this week. It should be interesting.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest to control my blood glucose levels - thanks to all of you!
Nice one mate....just goes to show and you have shown them and another example of inspiration for others to follow.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't bragging, it's sharing your story to help inspire others.

Excellent control, and well done. You deserve it.

Reactions: 14 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Excellent, well done :)

Reactions: 3 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
6.6...went to bed early was up early at 4.30 tested at 7.00....didn't eat anything dodgy last night...didnt do ANY exercise yesterday...second test 6.7...weird man...

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! I always enjoy your posts and this one is particularly encouraging.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
6.6...went to bed early was up early at 4.30 tested at 7.00....didn't eat anything dodgy last night...didnt do ANY exercise yesterday...second test 6.7...weird man...
Is that high for you? Maybe a liver dump?

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Yes it is unusual recently has been 5's...clearly system not used to being up at 4.30...