I know -A day in the life of a parent of a Type1 child.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's amazing! So good to hear she is coping so well. I can't believe how well she coped in hospital, Zara was absolutely traumatised by the cannula and the whole experience shuck her confidence for a little while.

Reactions: 2 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , sorry to hear you've had to join us here too.
We're just over a week in from diagnosis and it really is such a whirlwind of emotions.
I've not been able to put a plug on the waterworks when anyone stops and innocently asks how we all are yet!
The best advice I've had so far is just to take one day at a time, don't compare things with others, or how things were in the past.
Seek out support, whether it be from the hospital, family and friends or forums like this, it can feel like such a lonely experience.

Hopefully there'll be a time when all this doesn't feel all-encompassing and life can start being lived again.
Very true @vicki.milne I hope your and little one are doing ok

Stacey_c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A day in the life of a parent of a type 1 child.

"I know"

I continuously read articles about mothers and having twins and having more than one child, all written with good intentions that show how well parents do on a daily basis and we do.

Since the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in my 2.5 year old beautiful daughter 4 months ago, I wonder where are the support articles telling all the amazing parents the ups and downs of dealing with this disease 24/7 and how well they are all doing.
I see nothing so I am writing this as "I know" so many can relate and find this as a support knowing they are not alone.

First of all I want to say how highly underestimated diabetes is to live with even for an adult let alone a toddler. It's not just "have a chocolate bar and you will be alright"

Don't get me wrong of course I find some comfort that my daughters disease can be controlled and there is medication for it and she is not terminally ill and can still live her normal life. Yes this I am very grateful for.

We live each day as it comes right now and try not to put high expectations on ourselves. control still has to be good, you see there are consequences if they are not controlled and not just from Low sugars (hypos) but also something I never knew was that there are long term harsh consequences from having high blood sugars (hypers) and these hypers bring pure spouts of guilt when you see it on your glucose monitor.
"What have I done wrong, was her meal to big, was it the pasta, was it not enough insulin, do I need to change my carb to insulin ratios?????"
This can cross your mind in a matter of seconds which will then lead to a mathematical process in your mind where you can get lost for a good 20mins or longer if you were to let yourself.
Truth is we all do our best we can only learn from our mistakes and be better the next day.

To begin with I would dread waking every morning to the new routine where I would have to wake my baby up and upset her as she was due her first of 4 injections at 8am and sugar test which she found all so unbearable and so did I.
We have turned that corner now and she hands me her finger sometimes while watching the TV! Something I never thought I would see! never thought I'd be so happy that my daughter is ignoring me!

The sleepless nights are difficult and something that most people are unaware you have to deal with, checking blood sugars at 10pm and at 3/4am and then finding she has soaked her nappy through to the bed clothes as she has been going to bed high sugars.
On the flip side you are worried that there is not enough sugar in little ones body and that she will have a hypo that you are oblivious to in the night.
Least we have the finger pricking now down to a quick in and out now while she stays sleeping most of the time, again another step taken in the right direction.

Starting school is a big one that weighs heavy on my mind. So after taken a lot of time calculating how much insulin to give for every meal to the carbohydrate and assessing my child for any symptoms of hypos can I really trust some one else to calculate this dose correctly, administer it and to treat and spot my daughter low blood sugars.
My saving grace is my daughters strength will get me through this more than anything, to see her just get on with it and live her life as she knows as normal is inspirational.

I want to give all the parents dealing with this a huge hug and want to say "I know"
I know this is not everything and there is even more to it.
I know your coping so well, simply because you have to.
I know how you think and grieve at night time,
I know this is normal.
I know you just want your child to fit in and not feel deprived.
I know you feel you have been given a crash course in diabetes, child psychology, nutrition, food glycemic index and carb counting.
I know as a parent you will do anything for your child.
I know this will get easier.

Keep strong
made me cry u are such a loving mother this is excatly has i feel xxxx

Reactions: 6 people

Stacey_c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

"I know"

I continuously read articles about mothers and having twins and having more than one child, all written with good intentions that show how well parents do on a daily basis and we do.

Since the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in my 2.5 year old beautiful daughter 4 months ago, I wonder where are the support articles telling all the amazing parents the ups and downs of dealing with this disease 24/7 and how well they are all doing.
I see nothing so I am writing this as "I know" so many can relate and find this as a support knowing they are not alone.

First of all I want to say how highly underestimated diabetes is to live with even for an adult let alone a toddler. It's not just "have a chocolate bar and you will be alright"

Don't get me wrong of course I find some comfort that my daughters disease can be controlled and there is medication for it and she is not terminally ill and can still live her normal life. Yes this I am very grateful for.

We live each day as it comes right now and try not to put high expectations on ourselves. control still has to be good, you see there are consequences if they are not controlled and not just from Low sugars (hypos) but also something I never knew was that there are long term harsh consequences from having high blood sugars (hypers) and these hypers bring pure spouts of guilt when you see it on your glucose monitor.
"What have I done wrong, was her meal to big, was it the pasta, was it not enough insulin, do I need to change my carb to insulin ratios?????"
This can cross your mind in a matter of seconds which will then lead to a mathematical process in your mind where you can get lost for a good 20mins or longer if you were to let yourself.
Truth is we all do our best we can only learn from our mistakes and be better the next day.

To begin with I would dread waking every morning to the new routine where I would have to wake my baby up and upset her as she was due her first of 4 injections at 8am and sugar test which she found all so unbearable and so did I.
We have turned that corner now and she hands me her finger sometimes while watching the TV! Something I never thought I would see! never thought I'd be so happy that my daughter is ignoring me!

The sleepless nights are difficult and something that most people are unaware you have to deal with, checking blood sugars at 10pm and at 3/4am and then finding she has soaked her nappy through to the bed clothes as she has been going to bed high sugars.
On the flip side you are worried that there is not enough sugar in little ones body and that she will have a hypo that you are oblivious to in the night.
Least we have the finger pricking now down to a quick in and out now while she stays sleeping most of the time, again another step taken in the right direction.

Starting school is a big one that weighs heavy on my mind. So after taken a lot of time calculating how much insulin to give for every meal to the carbohydrate and assessing my child for any symptoms of hypos can I really trust some one else to calculate this dose correctly, administer it and to treat and spot my daughter low blood sugars.
My saving grace is my daughters strength will get me through this more than anything, to see her just get on with it and live her life as she knows as normal is inspirational.

I want to give all the parents dealing with this a huge hug and want to say "I know"
I know this is normal.
I know you feel you have been given a crash course in diabetes, child psychology, nutrition, food glycemic index and carb counting.

Keep strong
im thinking of setting up a facebook help page for type 1 parents has when the health professionals switch there phones off, were are u supposed to turn too xxx can u email this of urs so i can share it to cause awareness xxx

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stacey my email is xxxxx sounds like a good idea xxx

Email address removed. This can be exchanged via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
made me cry u are such a loving mother this is excatly has i feel xxxx
Thank you Stacey that means a lot x i hope it helped you know you were not alone and i hope your little one is ok, boy or girl? And how old. Have you recently been diagnosed? Xxx

jolee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

"I know"

I know this is normal.

Keep strong
Hi must admit I had a tear in my eye reading this. My son was diagnosed 2 years ago just before he turned 12. It felt like the bottom had fallen out of my world and I just kept thinking why him why not me. Two years on and he's been away on a French trip with school and today left for an adventure holiday in Wales, I've had to stop myself texting him at times when I know he should be taking levermir etc and am scared to death that he will cope with his carb counting but have to put my trust in the school who have been marvellous upto now with his care plan etc. honeymoon period with him was text book but puberty, and growing 3 cm since Dec have put ratios and levels all to ****, but kids are so resilient and matter of fact that I'm sure he will be fine. I wish you all the best and as you say we all learn by our mistakes and must learn not to beat ourselves up over them but get stronger because of them. Love from another 'who knows' x

Reactions: 6 people

shazzny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
What kind words, my wee boy was diagnosed in 2013 2 1/2 years old he is now 4 and everything you say is true, we still have ups and downs due to catching everything that is going about and just when his bloods settle bang it all goes belly up .

Reactions: 4 people

sarah.u

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi, just joined the forum after our 2 1/2 yr old daughter was diagnosed on Friday. We are early in the journey but keen to understand whatever I can
Hi just wondering how long your daughter had symptoms for as i am worried about my little girl. She is 2 1/2 she is drinking upto 6 litres a day soaking through every nappie eating more i wouldnt say she is losing weight but woukd say she isnt really putting on for what she eats. Had urine tested but no sugars in it ..... just wondered if this could still be diabetes i have been fobbed off by doctors x

redding43

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah

Our situation has evolved to a point where they have changed their mind and now don't think it is type 1 diabetes! We are waiting for more test results but are now off of insulin and her bloods are staying normal. When she was originally diagnosed she had been unwell for 3 or 4 days but her drinking has always been to a normal level.

Cath10

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My 9 year old was diagnosed with T1 diabetes 3 weeks ago and I find Gemma's post really inspiring and so true not only do we both work full time we manage our daughters diabetes it's such a lot to take in as well as dealing with the shock and grief of the diagnosis - she truly is the bravest girl I know and is my inspiration every minute of every day x
Does anyone have any advice on travelling abroad (Spain) with all the meds etc ? Greatly appreciated thank you x

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cath
It really is so much to take in and I know all that you are going through. We are 7months in now and I can give you some light. Your baby will always be your motivation and strength my little girl is 3 years old next week and checks her own sugars now and shows her nursery staff who's boss! and understands a lot more about healthy foods than any other 3year old I have met.
Me, I have dealt with the brunt of grief by talking about it with others and seeing how adaptable and strong my little girl is. She inspires me everyday. There are still times I think why her or have a bad day but then I pull myself together and know we are strong than this and still take each day as it comes and learn from the last. without overwhelming myself.
We have not been abroad only holidays in the uk. I would ask your consultant for a letter so you can carry the meds and just take double or triple of everything if you can fit it in spare pens/ and meters included and get a Frio insulin cool bag to keep insulin cool in the heat and to carry your spare insulin cartridges on the plane. Hopefully some others will post here if not then post a seperate one and I'm sure you will get some answers.
Love to you and baby xxx

Cath10

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Gemma your little girl sounds amazing what a little courageous girlie!
We're learning about carb counting next week which sounds complicated but hopefully is easier than it sounds! She is dealing with it so well although has her ups and downs as do we, her diabetic nurse has come into school and trained the staff on how to inject etc and hypos hypers too, she has been excellent really put my mind at ease about her being at school,
It doesn't stop me worrying but the school have also been great they have phoned me most lunchtimes to give me her readings to put my mind at rest!
It's lovely to hear from another parent as it can be quite lonely for us, can't it?
I will get one of these cool bags and yes will ask the consultant for a letter explaining the meds etc.
Love to you both and thank you for the advise xxx

TanyaEmily

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Cath 10. We travelled abroad to Alicante this spring. My advice is to keep medications in two bags, in case something happens to one, you will have a back up. We kept insulinin frio cooling pouches for travelling. Just mention to the staf at the airport security that your daughter is diabetic and you are carrying medications. If you are using pump DO NOT go through the magnetic check, request hand search. Ask your nurse for a letterand print out tables of BG conversions, they are using mg % in Spain and in case you need medical advise they knewwhat you are talking about. Any more questions, please let me know.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter was diagnosed at the end of June - reading this post - bought tears to my eyes as it still feels as raw as the day we found out! I hate that she has it, but like many of the other children on here has taken it on the chin. She is now in year 1 and the school have been fantastic - although they are human do not live with this day in and day out and do make mistakes. I didn't realise how much of an emotional rollercoaster I would be on... does anyone else feel like they are constantly up or down?

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @Mum of a Diabetic totally see where you are coming from. The grief hit me hard particularly around the time of writing this post.
It's been just 9months and I still have spells and waves of it now but not as "intense" is the only way I can describe it.
Up and down is normal here x
I hope you and little one are doing ok how old is she? Xxx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My daughter was diagnosed at the end of June - reading this post - bought tears to my eyes as it still feels as raw as the day we found out! I hate that she has it, but like many of the other children on here has taken it on the chin. She is now in year 1 and the school have been fantastic - although they are human do not live with this day in and day out and do make mistakes. I didn't realise how much of an emotional rollercoaster I would be on... does anyone else feel like they are constantly up or down?
I'm sure many people feel that way, either as a parent of a T1 or as a T1 themselves. It's early days for you in terms of getting used to it, so please try to be gentle with yourself. You don't have to be perfect at everything. You are doing your best and things are going ok.

Hopefully sharing with others on here will help. Perhaps there is a local support group for parents? You may find that parents of children with special health or disability needs can relate to you about this better than people with no experience of such issues. You could also ask your GP about free counselling for a while, to help you deal with this major adjustment.

Marykly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I want to cry after i read your message thank you so so much
Its so hard
It changes ur life ,
When i told people /friends about my son all i got was why u given him cards...
Lol .....

No one know whats involved.... In our day to day lives ...
It's different every day or night....

Thank you for my hug
Right back at u
And a .
Mary

jo78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , sorry to hear you've had to join us here too.
We're just over a week in from diagnosis and it really is such a whirlwind of emotions.
I've not been able to put a plug on the waterworks when anyone stops and innocently asks how we all are yet!
The best advice I've had so far is just to take one day at a time, don't compare things with others, or how things were in the past.
Seek out support, whether it be from the hospital, family and friends or forums like this, it can feel like such a lonely experience.

Hopefully there'll be a time when all this doesn't feel all-encompassing and life can start being lived again.
I promise you, the stress and emotions become less fearful. Its perfectly natural to feel the way you do. I felt the same 11yrs ago when my daughter was 3.