Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.
Wish I could vote, but I can't get hold of a Libre :(

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Already voted, but thought I'd bump this back up.

Smidge

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No reaction yet, onto sensor number 4... Although my previous 2 have stopped working after 7 days!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd have thought that there would be more votes. Perhaps the thread title should include the word "Poll"?
Also it might get more response if it was "pinned" near the "Freestyle Libre on Sale!!" thread?

I don't have a Libre but I am a very interested observer.

Reactions: Gemoelle

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd have thought that there would be more votes. Perhaps the thread title should include the word "Poll"?
Also it might get more response if it was "pinned" near the "Freestyle Libre on Sale!!" thread?

I don't have a Libre but I am a very interested observer.
Changed the title to include Poll. Anyone know how to pin it please?

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - being using the Libre since the end of last year. Amazing - but since March I have only been able to keep the sensor on for a few days each, due to manic itching !

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think - touch wood - that firing the sensor over a Compeed is working for me. Not 100% sure yet as the sensor is still stuck on, but the tell tale signs of some redness at the edge are not showing yet. Fingers crossed.

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried that, but the sensor didn't want to link to reader - i wondered if the compeed was too thick and the needle wasn't deep enough ? Which type of compeed are you using ?

Reactions: Banacheque

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The "medium" plasters. I understand that some people have had problems firing through the Compeed due to the thickness - I think, unfortunately, it is hit and miss. Not ideal when the sensors are £50 a time, I know.

Have you reported your itching to Abbot? The more of us who report skin irritation problems the quicker they will (hopefully) work to find a better adhesive.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The "medium" plasters. I understand that some people have had problems firing through the Compeed due to the thickness - I think, unfortunately, it is hit and miss. Not ideal when the sensors are £50 a time, I know.

Have you reported your itching to Abbot? The more of us who report skin irritation problems the quicker they will (hopefully) work to find a better adhesive.
Firing through plasters is definitely a gamble. I have tried various different sorts including Compeed and had more failures than success.

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - I have. Managed to get a free sensor out of it. I am hoping that as they really take off, a competitor will come into the market with a more sensitive glue ! Thank you.

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Everyone, So glad that I found this blog. I have used the Freestyle Libre 5 times each time alternating the arm. No issues with the first three. When removing the fourth, 5 days ago I noticed the rawness of the site ( exactly the same as a photo which someone posted on here. Applied new sensor on Monday and had to remove it yesterday ( fifth day ) as the itching was unbearable, same redness and raised raw skin. Reported to Abbott on Tuesday so will get one free sensor. Wondered if anyone has tried Cavilon which is a barrier cream? I know that this is used for patients who have had a colostomy when The skin is sore around the stoma. It protects the skin from the irritation of the adhesive on the colostomy bag. Obviously these patients are using the same site each time, so if it works for that purpose it is worth a try. Pharmacist advised using a small amount and leaving it for a half hour before applying sensor.I am going to try it when I apply my next sensor and will report results. I DO think the adhesive has been changed by Abbott.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone, So glad that I found this blog. I have used the Freestyle Libre 5 times each time alternating the arm. No issues with the first three. When removing the fourth, 5 days ago I noticed the rawness of the site ( exactly the same as a photo which someone posted on here. Applied new sensor on Monday and had to remove it yesterday ( fifth day ) as the itching was unbearable, same redness and raised raw skin. Reported to Abbott on Tuesday so will get one free sensor. Wondered if anyone has tried Cavilon which is a barrier cream? I know that this is used for patients who have had a colostomy when The skin is sore around the stoma. It protects the skin from the irritation of the adhesive on the colostomy bag. Obviously these patients are using the same site each time, so if it works for that purpose it is worth a try. Pharmacist advised using a small amount and leaving it for a half hour before applying sensor.I am going to try it when I apply my next sensor and will report results. I DO think the adhesive has been changed by Abbott.
I think it's more that our skin could deal with the first few but then built up a response to the adhesive over time rather than the adhesive having been changed. I've been told explicitly that there has been no change to the adhesive since launch. I haven't used cavillon but I think others have. Compeed is working for me at the moment.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't have the extreme redness and rawness that others have had, but a couple of days after removing a sensor, the area where it was dries out massively and I have to bio-oil it. I may Ben try compeed. All very odd.

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I tried the Cavilon spray and worked for one sensor, but not the next. I found the Compeed was too thick and it prevented the needle from going deep enough to register with the scanner. I am currently trying Boots own thin plasters and that is working. I think it might be called Boots barrier tape ? Thin and good, but does appear to be fraying at the edges over time.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started getting skin reactions at around sensor 6-8. Now use compeed underneath and for three sensors this as worked really well

Reactions: 2 people

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.

I have voted yes as I am still getting a skin reaction each time I use a sensor, but just tolerating it as the product is good. The first reaction is still visible (since end of May), but no longer sore. I see that not many people have voted but a 40% result proves that there is a big problem with the adhesive.

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never used to but I have noticed on the last three that I have red circles marking the previous sites. And they are now sooooo itchy it makes my skin crawl.