Battery life in code free ?

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm a grumpy bear this morning

Only had my code free monitor since the 30th October and I woke up this morning to a flat battery, and guess what ...no spares.

I wasn't planning a trip to town this morning. Hey ho my routine is thrown off kilter before I even get up maybe I should just take it as a warning and stay in bed lol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never taken notes on the battery life of the code free but I think mine is still running on its original battery. I have had it a couple of years.

Perhaps you should have a word with the seller since you are still inside the DSR time limit.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Squire,

I shall drop them an email, but not hang about waiting, I shall just go buy a new battery and get on with it. I did assume it would last me a while, less than a week is disappointing.

Have a great day

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my first battery lasted a month

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
had mine a year ..still on the same battery .. are you storing the meter in a very cold place .. we have no central heating here, so anything with a battery has to stay in the living room with the open fire, that room stays warm.. If we leave things with battery in another room in the Autumn /winter they are drained over night with the cold.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried taking the battery out, then putting it back in again? Sometimes this works. The problem is, batteries wear out even when not being used, and you have no idea how old that battery is. However, it is reason for complaint after such a short time. Buy two when you are out, then you always have a spare.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The SD Codefree was delivered to me with the Battery separate. Was this the same for you? If so, probably a dud battery, been in a cold place or maybe switched on inside the storage pouch accidentally - causing it to drain.

If a new battery also drains quickly, there may be a fault on your meter.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a battery error on mine after about a month, I took the battery out messed about with it and it's all ok now.

Bought 10 batteries on ebay for it though, they are tucked away in the drawer now.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hubbies code free battery went after three weeks, put in a new one that lasted two weeks, put another new one in am hoping this one lasts longer or will be complaining to homehealth, so I brought 12 Panasonic 2032 batteries for £2.80p from amazon best before date 2024, mind I think something in the case was pressing on the button, so will see how it goes as the batteries you get with the meter are a brand I've not heard of and could possibly be naff before fitting. looked good on my tester then suddenly dropped down the power range.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that few people believe this and even fewer actually practice it but those batteries have so little charge that touching them wrongly discharges them. You should only pick them up in such a way that you never touch both sides with the bare fingers at the same time. Some people use a dry hanky. Posh people use a leather. A pair of dry gloves should do it though.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had this problem a couple of times the last time it happened I took the battery out then put it back and it has worked for longer than the other ones did!
CAROL

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Just had the same problem and only had meter since 23 October. After replacing the battery 4 times in 10 days I gave Home Health some feed back and they have kindly sent me a new meter. New meter has same manufacturer date of 2014.06.20 as my original sd meter, so I shall keep my fingers crossed that the problem will now go away with the new meter.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, panic over, I went and bought a replacement , not before taking the battery out and replacing it, it still wouldn't work tho.

I have emailed the company, and let's see what they say. It was a new battery and was packed separately in the case, it had 4 days use before dying on me, so I'm just assuming it was a dud.

I tested when I replaced the battery , which was about 4 hours post breakky at 5.9 and just again before tea at 5.3....happy days :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have 3 Codefres. two of them are on their original battery. the third is on its third battery (its the bedside table one) and i only use it once a day.

will try removing and replacing the dead battery. :D

Edited to add: it didn't work. dead as a doornail. hey ho.

Last edited by a moderator:

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Homehealth sent me a new battery first class post....good service :)

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Interesting! I have gone through three batteries since mid_ Jan when I bought my Codefree. Perhaps I should contact them because I get really strange readings a few days before the battery dies. But as I have only had a couple of weeks use, I don't realise it's the battery causing the results.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely would contact them. I believe the Codefree batteries should last for 5000 odd readings so if your unit is draining batteries quickly, it may have a fault. From what I've heard on this forum, SD Codefree has a very good customer service policy and will exchange your unit quickly and without much fuss.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Thank you, I might do that if Bluetit's suggestion doesn't last: as per her suggestion I removed and put back the battery and it seems to have put some life back in, although the date and time are wrong again!