Diet Coke - in relation to Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes please

Jaisiddh

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it okay to drink diet coke specifically in relation to diabetes and pre-diabetes. (All the other health issues aside, please, as I want to know the answer in relation to blood sugar, glucose and carbs.) Thank you!

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is it okay to drink diet coke specifically in relation to diabetes and pre-diabetes. (All the other health issues aside, please, as I want to know the answer in relation to blood sugar, glucose and carbs.) Thank you!
As I understand the literature it is totally safe to drink diet coke in relation to diabetes.

The only controversy is this. Some people belive that drinking diet coke make you eat more at meals, and thus increases the chance of obesity. As a diabetic one should lose weight, so this might be an issue( myself i would probably eat more chips when eaten with a diet coke than with water for instance). Me personally I find it nice to do dietsoda when losing weight, it is free sweetness with no calories. So as long as it does not make you crave junkfood and sweets you should be good to go!

Jaisiddh

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much! I find that diet coke actually satisfies my desire for sweetness so that I actually have less hunger. I am so glad that it's okay for diabetics and pre-diabetics! Thanks again.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I personally wouldn't go mad on it though!
You should drink it as a treat rather than an everyday replacement for water, tea, coffee!

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have about 4 diet drinks a week and do not notice any increase in what I eat. If I go out for a meal or drinks with friends I generally have lime and soda which is quite refreshing.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first diagnosed and started low carbing I asked on this forum about alternatives to tea, coffee and water and some well meaning person said "no, that's it - just try flavouring water with lemon etc. so I went through Summer denying myself anything other than water on hot days. I was so green in those days I thought sugar-free drinks still had carbs in.

My (not so well controlled) diabetic s-i-l mentioned Tesco No Added Sugar Cloudy Lemonade recently saying how nice it was so I started looking closely at diet drinks and realised I could have had a lot them for a change. I know a lot of "lchf purists" will jump on me about the added sweeteners but it's nice to have something that tastes good for a sweet treat now and again.

I also find that they are more a filler than making me crave more sweet stuff too.

Reactions: 5 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coming from a family of coeliacs, diabetics and allergy sufferers (fish, milk, eggs, peanuts etc) i realise that some people are allergic to an ingredient in a food or drink so cannof have it however I subscribe to the theory that if it is low carb, low sugar and it doesn't affect me I see no harm in having it.