Hi, please help..I'm worried :( about 3 months ago I had a fasting blood glucose test at the doctors

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And it was 4.7 ..the doctor said my blood levels were good etc, no problems

I have an inactive lifestyle , eat lots of sugar / processed carbs etc .

And decided to get myself a boots home fasting blood glucose test kit. About 3 weeks ago, done it and it was about 6 ...it was using one of those colour wheel things ..so not exactly accurate but..

And today . 6 or even over 6 a bit ! ..:(

At the doctors , I got a taxi there as I know exercise lowers blood glucose right ? ..second time home test ..didn't get dressed ...today .did..that wouldn't make too much of a difference would it?

Dies it sound like I might have prediabetes ? Is my blood glucose level changing from 4.7 to 6 over a few months normal , or am I closer to getting ( even if I havnt got it yet) prediabetes ??

Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are hundreds of posters and lurkers that visit this forum and would do anything to get them figures. They are normal, no matter what time you tested!

Normal blood glucose levels range from around 3.6 to 6.2 depending on how your body metabolises your food.

Speak to your GP, about why you are worried over your health.
It is not prediabetic or diabetic levels you have posted.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When did you take your tests and see levels of about 6? Morning fasting levels vary from day to day, whether diabetic or not. There is nothing wrong with a 6. You could try testing immediately before you eat, and then again 2 hours after your first bite. This will give you a better idea of what your levels are.

Current guidelines:

Non diabetics
before meals 4 - 5.9mmol/l
90 minutes or more after meal under 7.8mmol/l

Type 2 diabetes
before meals: 4–7mmol/l
two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l.

Reactions: 4 people

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi : ) thanks for replying

So..it's completely normal for it to be 4.7 then 6 ? I'm not closer to getting prediabetes ?

I took them before breakfast ..first time ..before getting ready and dressed . Today after . Infact it looked slightly over 6 .

It's annoying as I feel ty doctors don't really take me seriously . Ok I had a fasting blood test few months ago ..but I am inactive and worried . Why wouldn't I be .

I'm so unmotivated to do any exercise ...know I should ..but

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Your levels are fine, but can I ask why, if you know you are increasing your risk by lifestyle, you don't try and do something to change it? It seems a bit daft continuing to eat really badly, and not exercise at all, then start checking your blood to see if you have prediabetes..not having a go, I'm just genuinely curious:)

Reactions: 9 people

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I just find it so..so hard to motivate myself . I don't get up till 1:30-2;00

I know walkimg is good for you..but again...can't get myself to do it!

I've seen that a normal fasting level should be lower than that ..so..have I got closer to developing prediabetes ..sigh..confusing !

I know ..I'm a bit of a confusing person haha !..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I see it, at the moment you are worrying about nothing, but unless you do motivate yourself to eat properly and sensibly, and do some walking, you most likely may have something to really worry about in the future. I'm afraid we can't help you with this. Maybe you are depressed and need to see the GP?

Reactions: 2 people

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone

Bluetit : ) so..am I closer to getting prediabetes ? I don't mean to be annoying ..

I ordered a fit bit . I know I should move more. I guess I just have bad lazy habits ..I do have down phases quit a lot yes . I am on Prozac .

I just find blood glucose and health interesting ..I want to be healthy ..and it just sounds ..the fact it was 4.7 and now above 6 . I said that to the pharmacist today and she said ..hmm..well..it should be lower sort of thing

Very nice supportive forum : )

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I hope Bluetit doesn't mind if I chime back in?
Walkingmoose - nobody here can tell you if you are closer or not. You're looking to the figures to give an explanation and they don't mean anything when done randomly like this. Bottom line is you do not have diabetes, nor prediabetes at present. I honestly think that you have had answers in that we haven't got a crystal ball lol. You need to address what you're eating and a level of exercise - if you're saying it's bad habits, it's up to you to make changes.

Lots of luck:)

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone so far has told you there is nothing wrong with your fasting levels (at the moment). These figures do mean nothing taken on their own. Have you done as I suggested earlier and done some testing before and 2 hours after meals, and compared your readings to those I mentioned? Until you do this, several times, and write down EXACTLY what you ate and drank, nobody here can advise you further.

You say you are inactive, lazy, and eat lots of sugar and carbs. My advise is to change all this before your levels do increase, but this is entirely your choice. It's your life.

Reactions: 4 people

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haven't dome that test no...I was going to buy a blood glucose meter but the pharmacist said they are so unreliable, no point buying it ..

I am aware of what I eat and know I should be more active ..I also will get the proper diabetes ht2 ..forgot ..test in less then a month so shall see!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No meters are not 100% accurate they can only give an idea of your BG level at that moment in time but if you use it to test when you eat to see which foods spike you it is a help

Reideen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi my go told me I have pre diabetes, it scared the hell out of me, I have lost two stone in weight, walk for 30min most days, my level was around the six mark but yesterday and today it was eight, I did eat carbs did this cause the rise, what should a normal test be?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi my go told me I have pre diabetes, it scared the hell out of me, I have lost two stone in weight, walk for 30min most days, my level was around the six mark but yesterday and today it was eight, I did eat carbs did this cause the rise, what should a normal test be?

Probably!
Yes carbs are the type of food as well as sugars that turn to glucose in your blood.

Reduce your carbs even more and keep checking!
Even up your walking if you can!

Well done on your weight loss and getting your blood glucose levels down.