Australia

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I have just been accepted into a program which means I will be going to Australia for a few months. This means I will have to apply for a visa (special program or working holiday) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experience i.e as you are only there for a short amount of time, did you get asked to undergo a medical examination or once you declared it did Immigration just grant you the visa? I will be taking all of my own medicine and will only need to incur medical costs if for some reason I needed to get more medicine (which I would pay for myself)

I look forward to hearing some of your experiences. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Hi! I went to Australia for a year on a working holiday visa. Didn't have to have a medical think I just put it on my visa application. I took as much medication as I could and the only thing I ran out of was insulin. They have a medicare system over there which you can sign up for when you get there and it slightly discounts the cost of a prescription. I saw a doctor for some insulin and think I had to pay about $100. Make sure you have got insurance, shop around for the best deal and you can claim the cost back. Have a great time I loved Aus! Very easy country to go to if you have diabetes xx

Reactions: 6 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
You will need to get a prescription from a local doctor to get any medicines. UK has sharing rights so getting local Medicare card which gets you subsidised medicines should be easy, go to or call the Aust embassy to check it out before you leave.
David, Melbourne Australia.

Reactions: 4 people

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just clarifying, the NDSS isn't actually for meds, it is for all the related supplies, needles, pump gear, test strips etc, as an Australian who spends large chunks of the year in the US, I would not want to be caught short paying exorbitant prices there at all.
Not sure about the UK.

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest, has anyone been requested to undergo a medical just for a 1 year Working Holiday Visa? When you declared your diabetes on the visa application, what exactly did you say?

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
I had a working holiday 1 year visa and just put well managed diabetes on the forms and i didn't have to have a medical!

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they request a Doctors letter to confirm this/request anything which delayed you receiving the visa?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.

I have just been accepted into a program which means I will be going to Australia for a few months. This means I will have to apply for a visa (special program or working holiday) and I was wondering if anyone could share their experience i.e as you are only there for a short amount of time, did you get asked to undergo a medical examination or once you declared it did Immigration just grant you the visa? I will be taking all of my own medicine and will only need to incur medical costs if for some reason I needed to get more medicine (which I would pay for myself)

I look forward to hearing some of your experiences. Thank you.
Hi,
About 10 years ago I did a working holiday visa, just put well controlled type 1 down didn't need medical. No questions asked. More recently, I applied for permanent residency and like all applicants had to undergo a medical. I just brought a copy of my HBA1c to the medical to somewhat prove I was under control. No one said to do this, I just did. Never heard anything again, no more medicals and I was granted residency.
Medicare good but I was on holiday there / validating pr visa during the Icelandic ash cloud a few years ago which meant I couldn't get a flight home for another 13 days!!! I'm on a pump and had to pay an absolute fortune to get an infusion set as I ran out of spares. I think you need to pay for private health insurance first to get pump supplies out there. Good luck

Reactions: type1derluster

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Hi Smile

Just wanted to say that you have at least 4 people now saying that they have applied for the working holiday visa and everything was absolutely fine and easy. My advice, stop panicking, apply and see what happens! All will be okay. Australia's is a westernised country and thousands of diabetics probably apply everyday!

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry. I was just trying to get a pool of experiences, that's all.

Shoutout to anyone who has done their Australia visa online - when you declared diabetes (as in, ticked you might incur medical costs) were you required to complete a few questions on their e-medical form? Were you informed by your case officer if you needed to have a medical done or did they okay the diabetes and you were you granted the visa?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No experience in this field myself. But I can tag in a respected Austailian national that might help with information?
Don't let the avatar fool you.. Lol ;) @Mike D