does sugar cause / greatly increase risk of developing diabetes? lots of people say it doesnt??

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Even if you are a healthy weight, doesn't it put a great strain on your body / pancreas

Sugar / carbs etc

I used to eat a whole pack of biscuits, and mini cakes all in one evening . the next day, would be looking for more sugary stuff and so on. So a non diabetic persons blood sugar levels..after eating that, would their results be normal ? Yet if ate like that everyday ..( even if they done lots of exercise etc and were a healthy weight) would they eventually get diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A healthy person can cope with quite a lot of sugary/carby intake, but,

Depends who you listen to. It's not the sugar but the fructose in it (and alcohol) that cause fat to be created in the liver. You can only stand so much of that so after a certain point the action of the beta cells is impaired and you start to show signs of diabetes. If this is not attended to then the high level of blood sugar causes damage to the organs. The extremities and eyes suffer first. Controlling your blood sugar at this point might not result in healing (the jury is still out). Continue with poor control and risk amputations and blindness.

This is the third thread you have started with what is essentially the same question. Your readings do not indicate diabetes but you seem to be wishing it upon yourself. If you are worried and want to do something about it then see your doctor but in the meantime don't drink fizzy drinks and eat fewer carbs. I hope that helps.

Reactions: 7 people

walkingmoose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't mean to ask the same question. I'm just interested ..

It's confusing as I've seen a lot saying 6.1 is prediabetes !

Good answer..thanks