Pump approved

lely

I got the call off gp today the hospital has officially informed them. Yay. A bit of advice from the professional pump users out there. I watch diabetic Danica on YouTube to get thee process in my head of how to change the inset. And she used little plasters for the old site and alcohol wipes for new site, is this good practice to avoid infection or not really worth worrying about.

iHs

@lely

I use the Vibe and use 6mm Inset IIs most of the time and opted for the 90cm tube so that I would have tubing long enough to insert the set in my tummy or backside and also be able to put pump in a zipped pocket on the back of my handbag when out in Summer and just drape the bag over my shoulder so that pocket is next to my body. The pump is fairly invisable and the tubing is thin and very lightweght so can be tucked inside my jeans if need be. In the Winter I put pump in a skin (ask Animas for one) and insert the waistband clip in the back and just hang the pump over my neck so that if I need to do a bolus if outside, I just undo a few buttons on my coat or undo the zip on my jacket (saves getting half undressed to get to pump).

The Inset IIs dont really need any alcohol wipe or plaster put over them in the tummy but probably need a plaster if inserted in the backside.

The Inset II is easy to insert ............http://infusion-set.com/products/inset.aspx
Scroll down to the bottom of the website page and click on the blue visual guide which shows step by step instructions

There a few Vibers and Vibettes on the forum so dont worry if you have questions or not sure what to do :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I got the call off gp today the hospital has officially informed them. Yay. A bit of advice from the professional pump users out there. I watch diabetic Danica on YouTube to get thee process in my head of how to change the inset. And she used little plasters for the old site and alcohol wipes for new site, is this good practice to avoid infection or not really worth worrying about.
Don't worry about it.
I've never used wipes before insertion unless it's a hot sticky day then one used to make sure skin dry for cannula to stick ok.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't use the alcohol wipes (Sterets) before insertion but do clean the site after the cannula has been removed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
cheers noblehead, I will take your advise and take abit of time for me over the next couple of days and I knowthere is always here if I get stuck :)
I don't think you'll find it too hard Gaz. Once you've got some numbers in place, it's really about spotting the patterns in your readings and managing it from there.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
is this good practice to avoid infection or not really worth worrying about.
Everyone has their own rules of thumb about site prep based on their own personal experience. I've only had one infected site and that was back in 1997 not too long after I started on the pump. It was annoying enough and took long enough to get rid of that I still tend to try to be careful.

The thought of just inserting without any type of prep boggles my mind, but to each their own. You don't need to be obsessive, just wash with soap & water and possibly/probably also use alcohol or some other antiseptic.

I try to do my insertions after I've showered so that I've had a chance to soap down not just the new site but the rest of me as well. I also swab with alcohol before inserting. If it's overkill and not needed, that's no big deal to me. If I'm going to err I'd rather it be on the side of caution, at least when it comes to preventing site infections. A little extra time to clean the site seems a small price to pay to avoid the big annoyance (or worse) dealing with a site infection can entail. :nailbiting:

I really am not sure what "little plasters" might refer to so can't say anything about that. To me, "plaster" is something you put on the walls inside a house, or possibly the ceiling. o_O

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Everyone has their own rules of thumb about site prep based on their own personal experience. I've only had one infected site and that was back in 1997 not too long after I started on the pump. It was annoying enough and took long enough to get rid of that I still tend to try to be careful.

The thought of just inserting without any type of prep boggles my mind, but to each their own. You don't need to be obsessive, just wash with soap & water and possibly/probably also use alcohol or some other antiseptic.

I try to do my insertions after I've showered so that I've had a chance to soap down not just the new site but the rest of me as well. I also swab with alcohol before inserting. If it's overkill and not needed, that's no big deal to me. If I'm going to err I'd rather it be on the side of caution, at least when it comes to preventing site infections. A little extra time to clean the site seems a small price to pay to avoid the big annoyance (or worse) dealing with a site infection can entail. :nailbiting:

I really am not sure what "little plasters" might refer to so can't say anything about that. To me, "plaster" is something you put on the walls inside a house, or possibly the ceiling. o_O

a bandaid I think theey are called across the pond

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to say @irrationalJohn that your prep seems massively overkill to me, as I've never had an injection site infection in 27 years, with either cannulas or needles. If the set was contaminated, I can imagine trouble but my skin has always been clean enough!

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've never had an injection site infection in 27 years
And as long as you never have one, you no doubt will continue to feel the way you do. But if you ever do have an infected site, it may modify your opinion.

As for overkill ... showering every 3 days is overkill? o_O ;)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Well got a call from my DSN this afternoon and all the new meds are on my prescription now.Nopvorapid flex pens, Novorapid pump cartridges but also FreeStle Optiumbeta-ketone testing strips (confused are these used with a meter or a sample of urine?) also do you order testing strips from the pump supplier?

Blood testing strips that is sorry and reason for the edit

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well got a call from my DSN this afternoon and all the new meds are on my prescription now.Nopvorapid flex pens, Novorapid pump cartridges but also FreeStle Optiumbeta-ketone testing strips (confused are these used with a meter or a sample of urine?) also do you order testing strips from the pump supplier?

Blood testing strips that is sorry and reason for the edit

Hi Gaz, the ketone testing strips are for use with a meter, and are provided on your repeat prescription as are blood glucose strips.
Pump company only provides pump consumables.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
agh well the blood test strips have been missed off but I,m sure the rep will have some with her, thankyou CarbsRok

iHs

The keytone meter is supplied as a safeguard to detect keytones if bg goes really high due to illness or pump malfunction. I've never used a keytone meter myself even though I've got one as tend to use pen to deliver insulin if bg goes into double figures. The keytone strips are expensive to prescribe and tend to go out of date quickly so might be better to get keytone urine strips which are a lot cheaper.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have the urine strips already iHs and this is what I found confusing also, I,ll ask the DSN next week about it and thankyou

iHs

Actually, the Aviva strips might not be supplied by the rep so try to sort out the prescription with GP or buy some as then you will be prepared ok

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thankyou will buy them and have them ready