Type 1 High blood sugar (for 10 day) with no obvious reason

dafeeah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My twin sons, 14 year old, diagnosed in February 2015 with type 1 diabetes. In the last 10 days the blood sugar level of one of them elevated to 200+ without no obvious reasons that we can think of while his twin brother's blood sugar remains stable (85 to 110). The blood sugar level remains fluctuating, but still above 200. I tried to adjust their long acting after consulting their physician with no change. Any advice what to do or what could be the reason? Thanks

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
No solution but a couple of things to eliminate.....Any chance its a little infection...can certainly raise levels? Is he on any different meds from his brother...particularly new or temporary...like antibiotics? Do they eat the same things at the same times, or is one more strict with diet than the other?

dafeeah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No solution but a couple of things to eliminate.....Any chance its a little infection...can certainly raise levels? Is he on any different meds from his brother...particularly new or temporary...like antibiotics? Do they eat the same things at the same times, or is one more strict with diet than the other?
Yes. He had an infection. He hurt his lower lip in the same period. Also, regarding the diet, although both eat the same food, but he missed more meals compared to his twin brother. He is not using any medication at the moment.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Speak to the doctor again. Infection can increase levels as can antibiotics, but usually temporarily..and it can take a wee while to settle..but I am no expert, yeah? I am Type 2 but had a lot of issues related to a kidney problem and transplant... small infection etc...If he's missed meals his system could be just a wee bit weaker...depends what he's eating/not eating. ask the doctor about seeing a diabetic consultant, diabetologist and certainly get advice on diet. No meds at all? What is the doctor saying about that? hope that helps a wee bit...do explore the site on diets. Hope he's back to his brother's levels soon.

Reactions: 2 people

dafeeah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much Pleinster. I very much appreciate your insight and input into this issue. Of course I will follow up with my son's physician and consult a dietitian. Thanks again

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that it could be some underlying infection or something. Also another consideration, is he well hydrated? Dehydration can raise sugar levels (it definitely does it to me). It maybe that one twin is drinking well and the other isn't. If there is absolutely no differences at all... being twins you'd think that they'd respond the same, but then every diabetic is different so maybe not. But continuous high sugar certainly indicates a problem. If it isn't food, it may be hydration as I mentioned, sickness, stress, activity level, temperature (eg. he may respond to cold weather with high sugar... whereas I respond with low sugar in this climate and high sugar in warm weather). Have you checked whether he has ketones? It's probably worth getting the doc to check him and see what is going on. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: 3 people

dafeeah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that it could be some underlying infection or something. Also another consideration, is he well hydrated? Dehydration can raise sugar levels (it definitely does it to me). It maybe that one twin is drinking well and the other isn't. If there is absolutely no differences at all... being twins you'd think that they'd respond the same, but then every diabetic is different so maybe not. But continuous high sugar certainly indicates a problem. If it isn't food, it may be hydration as I mentioned, sickness, stress, activity level, temperature (eg. he may respond to cold weather with high sugar... whereas I respond with low sugar in this climate and high sugar in warm weather). Have you checked whether he has ketones? It's probably worth getting the doc to check him and see what is going on. I wish you the best. :)
I will consider all these suggestions. Than you very much..

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Let us know how he gets on, yeah? My money is on improvement well before Christmas. The doctor should take on board any views you have and consider the best course of action if required. Don't hesitate to raise whatever with your doctor...sometimes they need a wee bit of... a dunt to remember they are not dealing with a case..but a person. To be fair most are fantastic at their jobs and many are very good personal communicators too, but..it's our bodies...it's your son...so be pushy if you have to.

LivabetesGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a type 1 diabetic and during puberty there were some weeks that my numbers made very little sense. My doctor suggested that it could be the changing hormones because the body changes so much and so frequently at that age.
Other than that, times of stress make my blood sugar run high. If he is close to final exams before the christmas holiday and tends to be a little more anxious than his brother that could be the issue. If he is on an insulin pump, it could be beneficial to run a temporary basal rate (110% or something similar) until the stress subsides.
Hope this helps! The teenage years were definitely rough.