Disapointed!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attended Saturday , Diabetic seminar, at the University, not one of the lecturers addressed low carb high fat diet.
one even recommended a diabetic cookbook with high carb content .my question is are the professionals really
interested in a cure ?

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Clued-up professionals are the exception, so we shouldn't be surprised at this outdated approach. It's very disappointing but we're in a privileged position here with knowledge and experience that can change the world! I would expect a university seminar to be too far removed from our reality to offer much help.
From what people say on the forum, we just put in a word here and there at our surgeries and hospitals, at work and among friends, and one day the dam will burst and enlightenment will flood our lives.
Oops, too much coffee o_O
Srsly, you could write to the university and tell them what you thought.

Reactions: 7 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended Saturday , Diabetic seminar, at the University, not one of the lecturers addressed low carb high fat diet.
one even recommended a diabetic cookbook with high carb content .my question is are the professionals really
interested in a cure ?

I heard of a diabetic course on the forum were they served sandwiches for lunch. Even though it was wholemeal bread, a lunch like that would send my blood sugars very high. Many in medical profession are unwilling or unable to accept that there are benefits to many (I would suggest most) diabetics in a low carb approach to diet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clued-up professionals are the exception, so we shouldn't be surprised at this outdated approach. It's very disappointing but we're in a privileged position here with knowledge and experience that can change the world! I would expect a university seminar to be too far removed from our reality to offer much help.
From what people say on the forum, we just put in a word here and there at our surgeries and hospitals, at work and among friends, and one day the dam will burst and enlightenment will flood our lives.
Oops, too much coffee o_O
Srsly, you could write to the university and tell them what you thought.
I was a User Representative on our local DAPHNE comittee where we were discussing the latest (?) techniques. Boy, how old fashioned the so called experts were. Thet had not even considered the Insulin Pump (my best friend was fitted with one in London) or bolus for meals. They were teaching fixed dosage, the eatwell plate etc. Then we came to coffee break, and only sugarlumps, and sticky buns and cream cakes. Not a sweetner in sight or in the restaurant next door.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard of a diabetic course on the forum were they served sandwiches for lunch. Even though it was wholemeal bread, a lunch like that would send my blood sugars very high. Many in medical profession are unwilling or unable to accept that there are benefits to many (I would suggest most) diabetics in a low carb approach to diet.
Eatwell reigns supreme..... The scientific reports on hydrolysed fats vs saturated but natural fats has only recently reversed the Dietician guidelines to allow us to consider a High Fat diet to compensate a Low Carb diet. We are, i believe, only a few months away from that breaking news. Low carb diets have been around for years now, but were difficult to maintain longterm. Hopefully LCHF will provide the answer to a maiden's prayer (so to speak)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive learnt to take anything a 'professional' says with a grain of salt. I will listen, do research and thenake up my own mind.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately these professionals tend to be the ones that control the purse strings, and through that, our destinies. I have for 8 years had a running battle over self monitoring. Eventually in May this year my doctor threatened me with insulin, so I struck up a bet with him. I bet him I would drop my HBa1c substantially if he would support my test strip habit, My Feb Hba1c was 99, and my August one was 79. My doctor doubled my test strip allocation immediately no quibble, and my Hba1c in November was 53. I see my doctpr in Jan, so hopefully we will not be talking insulin,

Reactions: 8 people