Smoking & Diabetes

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
My question centers around T2 & smoking I smoked heavily (& drank a lot) for 35yrs I smoked on average 25 to 30 a day and when I was out up to 60 a day I gave up properly in March 2007 (after the usual attempts three weeks here two days their and a couple of hours regularly) I had three main reasons firstly I was making my arthritis worse secondly I wanted more money and thirdly the smoking ban in boozers particularly was due that June and I thought I'll make those people inclu family to eat their words it's one of the best things I ever did I was diagnosed T2 in 2009 I just wonder if other people have succeeded in giving up

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have been off them for 13 weeks maybe a little longer and have no wanting to go back on them, I was also a heavy smoker and smoked from the age of 11 :( and now have COPD hence the stopping and keeping off them

Reactions: 2 people

Shady Vapour

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been off the fags for over two years now and have replaced it with Vaping. Prior to Vaping, I went through countless quit and relapse cycles and am glad I have found a more permanent solution.

I am now in the process of reducing my Nicotine levels in the Vaping juices I use with a view to becoming Nicotine free soon.

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have been off the fags for over two years now and have replaced it with Vaping. Prior to Vaping, I went through countless quit and relapse cycles and am glad I have found a more permanent solution.

I am now in the process of reducing my Nicotine levels in the Vaping juices I use with a view to becoming Nicotine free soon.

yeah thats what I,m using on 12mg atm but moving down to 6mg next

Shady Vapour

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yeah thats what I,m using on 12mg atm but moving down to 6mg next

Good on you. I found my switch from 12mg to 6mg very easy. Just was Vaping a bit more for a short period but it settles after that.

I have started to move to 3mg now with no problems.

Vaping has been a life (and money) saver for me!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Good on you. I found my switch from 12mg to 6mg very easy. Just was Vaping a bit more for a short period but it settles after that.

I have started to move to 3mg now with no problems.

Vaping has been a life (and money) saver for me!

Really glad its helping you and you found the switching easy, I think its a mental thing and just having the option to have a drag on something that helps the craving, I get 5 20ml bottles for £20 so its a massive saving, I am using an EVOD Mega which has a strong battery and only cosy £18 ish from Amazon

Shady Vapour

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really glad its helping you and you found the switching easy, I think its a mental thing and just having the option to have a drag on something that helps the craving, I get 5 20ml bottles for £20 so its a massive saving, I am using an EVOD Mega which has a strong battery and only cosy £18 ish from Amazon

Thanks Gaz. 100 ml for £20 is good value.

I started making up my own mixes about a year ago after spending hundreds of pounds on different juices and it works out to be the cheapest.

100 ml of my DIY juices cost me around £4 to £6 a pop so am saving a pretty penny. It takes about 5 mins to make as well. You should give it a go if you want to save even more £££.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Thanks Gaz. 100 ml for £20 is good value.

I started making up my own mixes about a year ago after spending hundreds of pounds on different juices and it works out to be the cheapest.

100 ml of my DIY juices cost me around £4 to £6 a pop so am saving a pretty penny. It takes about 5 mins to make as well. You should give it a go if you want to save even more £££.

can you pm me what is needed please Shady :)

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I have been off them for 13 weeks maybe a little longer and have no wanting to go back on them, I was also a heavy smoker and smoked from the age of 11 :( and now have COPD hence the stopping and keeping off them
I too have copd I use a handihaler with tiotropium bromide 18microgram inhalation powder once daily qvar 100 inhaler twice daily & ventolin when needed & very recently montelulast 10mg one @ night & also glandasane to spray back of throat to keep throat from becoming sore I was told by my gp that if I smoked again they would remove this help

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I,m on the tiotropium bromide 18microgram once a day, budesonide twice a day, ventolin when needed and carbocisteine 375mg 1 tablet 3 times a day to loosen any gunk in my lungs, first thing in the morning I do cough up (and forgive me) a total blacvk lump of gunk, not spickled but pure black, I think I will take a sample into the Drs as its not right. Never smoke again @bebsy2 its really not worth it and my Dad and Aunt both died from it

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I too will never smoke again apart from the money (I dread to think how much) but my fitness has plummeted to nothing I'm 56 Xmas eve and actually had to retire from Nhs 20yrs ago with severe oestoarthritis & I carried on smoking for 11 more years I've got a fantastic medical team and the've always said one I'll never work again and two I'm at least five or six years worse by smoking those extra 11 yrs it's a real wake up call

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quit about 10yrs ago using patches, prior to that I gave it up with the cold turkey method for about 7yrs and when the practise nurse asked me why I had started again after all those years I replied honestly that I had been smoking weed and used to mix a little baccy in to help it burn. I`ll always remember her wonderful reply...."stick to cakes in future!" priceless.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit after smoking for over 40 years my wake up call was finding out I had high blood pressure and the nurse said the best thing I could do for myself was to stop smoking and I stopped that day. .I went cold turkey and could not believe how much easier it was than I thought it would be... I had never tried before...I never really had any bad cravings I did chew normal chewing gum for the first couple of weeks That was 11 years ago and I have never smoked another cigarette from that day