Reintroduce myself

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I feel I need to reintroduce myself as I haven't been on here for quite a long time. Before my bg levels were through the roof to the point my meter couldn't read any higher than 33.3. My GP was trying me on tabs which clearly weren't working at all. I had people on here crying out for me to speak to my GP that my levels were dangerously high, a lot of people thought I was late onset type 1. I ended up in hospital and only then my doc decided to stop the tabs and put me onto insulin. People on here were right I am late onset type 1. I would like to thank everyone who helped and gave me advice without your help and support I'm not sure if I could have got through it alone. Just one thing I have gained so much weight since being on insulin. Is it normal to gain weight? My diet hasn't changed (only for the better) and I'm not a big eater.

Reactions: 8 people

tambourineman

Hey, that's great to hear the forum was able to offer such good help. I have just joined after my mum got diagnosed with diabetes but it inspires confidence in the quality of the feedback. Glad to here you finally got the correct diagnosis!

Reactions: 2 people

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did and I have ever confidence in this forum and the people on here.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and glad all is under control now :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one thing I have gained so much weight since being on insulin. Is it normal to gain weight? My diet hasn't changed (only for the better) and I'm not a big eater.
Welcome back and congrats. I'll give this question a bump in case it gets missed. Sure someone will respond. Sorry, I'm thin.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome back. Glad things have settled down for you since the appropriate diagnosis. It sounds like it might be early days to start worrying too much about your weight at the moment, but, as you imply, being overweight can make diabetes more difficult to control. Once on insulin for my Type 1, (I was diagnosed at age 29) I did put on weight, but very gradually, and I kind of put it down to getting older. Then I realised I was 3 stones heavier than my teenage weight and decided this was too much! I'm back down to half a stone heavier than my teenage weight and it has taken me about 20 months. I eat very well, but have radically reduced my carb intake, following advice on the low-carb thread of this forum which you might like to look at. I agree with the article cited above that we can't blame insulin for weight-gain. From my own experience, though, I would say that diet is critical.

Reactions: 2 people

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi lizdeluz, so sorry for the late reply for some reason I don't always get notifications. Thank you for your reponse it's much appreciated. I don't know anyone who has diabetes so don't really have anyone one to talk to that really understands. So I really am great full.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also like to thank everyone who has commented or just popped up to welcome me back. I really am very great full to you all.