Exercise to lower postprandial bg levels

John309

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, post meals my bg levels get quite high. So I've taken to going for a walk/run about an hour after a meal to manage the spike. The only issue with this is when (due to work) it's very late at night or the weather is awful. My flat is far too small for some exercise equipment (and as it's a flat things like skipping/running on spot are an instant no no), so was wondering what types of exercise others do to manage their post meal bg levels when in a similar situation?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Walking up and down the stairs is a good way to get some exercise at home and get the heart racing.

I do nothing more than walk the dog with the occasional bike ride.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, post meals my bg levels get quite high. So I've taken to going for a walk/run about an hour after a meal to manage the spike. The only issue with this is when (due to work) it's very late at night or the weather is awful. My flat is far too small for some exercise equipment (and as it's a flat things like skipping/running on spot are an instant no no), so was wondering what types of exercise others do to manage their post meal bg levels when in a similar situation?

Lunges, squats, press ups, superman?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rowing machine - the concept 2 ones can fold in two and/or be stood up against a wall when not in use.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would look into bodyweight exercises like squats/mountain climbers.

Won't drop your BG like running, but they do get the HR up, and have some strength benefit.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To lower post prandial BGs, best keep the exercise low/moderate intensity - even though exercise that gets your heart rate up has greater health benefits overall.

Higher intensity exercise is likely to cause a stress response, which will end up with your liver kicking out even more glucose (not great if the whole purpose is to minimise BG rise).

Up and down stairs as @noblehead suggests would work - just take it easy.
There are other great alternatives suggested above too - just be mindful how intensively you do the activity.
Well worth including some activity that will get your heart rate up as part of your weekly regime though. (Unfortunately playing the lottery doesn't count) ;)

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Important thing to do is to ensure you also do good breathing whilst you do any exercise. Whatever exercise you do. I always makesure I do 10 flights if stairs each day on my fitbit even if I don't reach my other targets.

John309

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the suggestions. I've tried a couple of things over the last month and a bit and thought it useful to report back. Firstly I tried yoga and pilates, but found after half an hour no change is BG levels. Perhaps being a beginner and watching YouTube wasn't the best. I then bought a small cycle machine for under the couch (20 quid amazon) that actually worked quite well but it broke quickly. I then found a small step machine with resistance bands, haven't bought that as a bit pricy but went for simple aerobic step - it is working well but got to spend a good 30min. I'm thinking of adding some light dumbbells.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yoga and Pilate's will not be likely to reduce BG as they are anaerobic exercises, you need as suggested,something g that will elevate heart rate, but not too much. Even a brisk walk can be sufficient