I'm diabetic vs I have diabetes

oweri02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was just reading the thread about Diet Coke ordered at McDonald's and getting the regular Coke (great advise about using your meter to test it). So many comments about being diabetic rather than having diabetes. As a wise person advised, don't be controlled by your ailments I correct medics when they say "you're diabetic" with "no, I have diabetes", perhaps we can all adopt this and drive this? After all, this site is Diabetes UK, not Diabetic UK ;)

Thoughts?

Thanks

Richard

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really doesn't matter to me, they both amount to the same thing - I have to restrict the amount of carbs I eat because I have diabetes and am therefore diabetic. I am asthmatic also but that doesn't mean I let either condition control me, it's only words.

Reactions: 15 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dont mind being called diabetic at all. I have diabetes so I am diabetic. It doesn't bother me at all

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It's a descriptor only, I couldn't care less about terminology - life's too short to worry about stuff like this (IMHO;)).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I did once hate the term 'diabetic' but I'm more relaxed about it nowadays.

Just one small correction @oweri02, this site is Diabetes.co.uk not Diabetes UK ;)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer "Pancreatically Challenged"....but seriously.....I could care less and use the term "Diabetic" all the time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally say that I have diabetes just as I say I have an under-active Thyroid but I don't get concerned at being called a diabetic.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i was just reading the thread about Diet Coke ordered at McDonald's and getting the regular Coke (great advise about using your meter to test it). So many comments about being diabetic rather than having diabetes. As a wise person advised, don't be controlled by your ailments I correct medics when they say "you're diabetic" with "no, I have diabetes", perhaps we can all adopt this and drive this? After all, this site is Diabetes UK, not Diabetic UK ;)

Thoughts?

Thanks

Richard

I prefer not to put labels on things, so if that were a concern to me I would probably say something like, "drinking full sugar Coke would have health implications for me. I'll spare you the details....." (with the last sentence with a smile).

The other person might make their own mind up what sort of unpleasantness I might experience, but most think of vomiting or the other, which they would rather not witness, usually.

Why should I disclose personal health details just to receive what I ordered?

Reactions: 4 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't care less, I have far bigger things to worry about than what people want to call me! As long as I get what I ask for e.g. Sugar free, low carb etc they can call me all the names under the sun (and probably do under their breath sometimes when I'm asking what's in this or that :D;))

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Thoughts?

Thanks

Richard
My attitude to this? You have diabetes. You are therefore diabetic. Does it matter? No. Is it a label? No. If you are seeing medics enough and discussing whether you are or are not diabetic, then you have more to worry about than the simple use of words.

Reactions: 7 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have cancer are you cancerous? I have diabetes (or do I) but I am still ME! My hypothesis is we all (human race) have it but just to lesser or greater degrees. Discuss!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Strictly speaking - yes, I suppose. I had it last year and of course, that particular adjective wasn't applied. Too busy fighting for my life to care and quite frankly, I wouldn't have given a monkeys. There are negative connotations connected with that word anyway, evil and bad so it's understandable why it's not used. Anyway..
I have allergies - I'm allergic. I have asthma - I'm asthmatic. I had agoraphobia for thirty years - I was agoraphobic. I wear glasses for myopia - I'm myopic. Seriously..life is really, truthfully too short. At times I am absolutely defined by the illness, when I was bedridden having chemo and radiotherapy, or when I was in intensive care with asthma. Most of the time I'm not. I. Don't. Care.
If you don't like the terminology used, complain. Simples:)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well these days when people ask me what is wrong I explain I have a few body parts not working too well. The problem I find if I say I have interstitial cystitis for example they then ask me whether or not I know that cranberry is good for cystitis. I then have to explain to them why it isn't good for me. Then for my reflux laryngitis and muscle tension dysphonia I deal with it means every time I talk I sound hoarse and like i have the flu or something. So I get told to take some honey & lemon for my throat. I then have to explain that is of no use and I can't take it for other conditions anyhow. Well, in other words people always have a remedy to tell me about if I mention about my diagnoses by their correct terms. If I say the word 'diabetes' though they then tell me things like did I know there is a cure for it, etc. I can't be on insulin if I'm type 2, etc. I can't win. lol. I don't particularly care about whether I refer to the fact I'm diabetic or I have diabetes as it is the same thing to me really. When I need help I often just give the paramedics or docs my phone which has my medical information available and they can read it for themselves what the actual diagnoses are. I wear an alert silicon bracelet saying I have insulin dependant diabetes. But you know what I still think there is a chance if I said either word I still face the real risk of being in serious danger as not many people know how to treat a diabetic in trouble anyhow. Sorry I'm probably rambling a little as real tired. But good point though. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It doesn't really bother me, I have type 1 diabetes, so therefore I could be' a type 1 diabetic'. Diabetes is what it is, had it a long time too .............................. so:meh: .

As for the cancerous quote, a person affected would say, I have cancer, it could be the bowel, liver,breast, testicle, cervix or another organ and that is cancerous, but the person, I feel, isn't cancerous :wideyed:

Reactions: 3 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the OP. There is something I don't quite like about the phrase, "you're a diabetic" as if it tells me everything about a person. It makes me think of "you're a leper", as opposed to , "I'm terribly sorry, but you have leprosy, but we can cure it".
Yes, I know it doesn't matter, but there have been lots of words in common use (which I can't repeat here), which we just don't use any more, because they are regarded as insensitive and offensive.
Sally

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be much more concerned about this site being mistaken for Diabetes UK, considering the prehistoric dietary advice and misinformation they give out - but it is a very easy mistake to make, and one i have done myself.

I guess, i use D words as ways to communicate, rather than labels ( if that makes sense).

I'm actually more uncomfortable with D being called a disease (which is accurate), rather than a condition (which is also accurate, and which i prefer), but would never make an issue out of that, either.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's also the way that it is said, in what context and by whom. I will concentrate on keeping fit and well and also a future cure..................................:)