The 3Rs - a straightforward way to live with your diabetes

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I originally put this in blood glucose management, but I'm not sure how many saw it so I'm posting here as well, as I'd like some feedback.

I attended the Diabetes Stream Health Innovation Network - South East London Diabetes stream last night and discussed Diabetes Management with a number of people, which convinced me that putting this model on the web for discussion was worthwhile. It's been retweeted by a number of the diabetologists on Twitter so I think it's hitting a nerve. I don't think it's anything new, but I'd like to know your thoughts:

http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-3rs-record-review-react.html

I subscribe to the KISS approach to these things and I think this adheres to that, and I also understand that for T2Ds it goes against the grain of how many test strips that are recommended, although not against the NICE guidelines suggesting in early diagnosis, enough should be prescribed to allow an understanding of how the condition affects you.

Feel free to tell me what you think!

Reactions: 5 people

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still a total novice at all this, only having been diagnosed on 16th November. I live in France and had a BS level of 22 and my GP prescribed metformin 750mg once a day for 2 weeks then twice a day (I'm still on one a day) and just told me to stop eating sugar and come back in 3 months for another blood test. The lack of information bothered me so I searched the internet and I found this site and another member from Paris advised me to be proactive and take total control of my diabetes management myself. I've been reading and reading and am still at the totally confused state of what to do, with emotional highs and lows and panics of whether I will choose the right way. However, I have been following the LCHF diet as much as possible and I have lost 3kgs in 12 days (I have around 50 to lose) and my BS this morning was 12.5, so I think I'm doing OK. Bottom line, after two weeks of reading, thinking, crying etc I have decided that the only way to go is exactly as stated in this article and manage myself. It's scarey to take responsibility for yourself, rather than relying on the medical profession but with a condition like diabetes, unless you've got someone there 24/7 to hold your hand and advise, I think it's the only way to go. I just couldn't wait 3 months to see if I'm still at very high risk of cardiac illness, only to discover that the medication isn't doing it's job, cutting out sugar hasn't brought my weight down enough and my BS is still so dangerously high.

michelle lilly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
religion, politics, DIABETES....
Hi I also live in France am a t1 now for twenty years so know a little, but with all the the new treatments I to am confused, sadly I have to say here France they are not very pro active in giving information or support, well thats been my experience, I feel totally alone I have very brittle diabetes and use a insulin pump, and in the near future I my be having a transplant.

Any way if I can help in any way please ask I will do my best
Where are you in France I hope you have better support and the medical assistance you need, please let me know

Best wishes and lots of luck

Michelle

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still a total novice at all this, only having been diagnosed on 16th November. I live in France and had a BS level of 22 and my GP prescribed metformin 750mg once a day for 2 weeks then twice a day (I'm still on one a day) and just told me to stop eating sugar and come back in 3 months for another blood test. The lack of information bothered me so I searched the internet and I found this site and another member from Paris advised me to be proactive and take total control of my diabetes management myself. I've been reading and reading and am still at the totally confused state of what to do, with emotional highs and lows and panics of whether I will choose the right way. However, I have been following the LCHF diet as much as possible and I have lost 3kgs in 12 days (I have around 50 to lose) and my BS this morning was 12.5, so I think I'm doing OK. Bottom line, after two weeks of reading, thinking, crying etc I have decided that the only way to go is exactly as stated in this article and manage myself. It's scarey to take responsibility for yourself, rather than relying on the medical profession but with a condition like diabetes, unless you've got someone there 24/7 to hold your hand and advise, I think it's the only way to go. I just couldn't wait 3 months to see if I'm still at very high risk of cardiac illness, only to discover that the medication isn't doing it's job, cutting out sugar hasn't brought my weight down enough and my BS is still so dangerously high.

Hi Chinta,
Although it's difficult, it's a good idea to take responsibility for your diabetes in this way, and LCHF is a really helpful diet for many T2s and T1s. Let us know how you get on. There' s good advice on diet and diabetes management on here.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given some of the communications that I've had regarding the 3Rs post, I've added in an additional one to pick up some of the patterns that are regularly seen by T1s, and what people generally do to deal with them (obviously not offering medical advice!). Most of it is taken from many of the conversations that regularly occur within the forum!

http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-3rs-technique-what-to-do-when.html

It would be good to see what people think.

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Given some of the communications that I've had regarding the 3Rs post, I've added in an additional one to pick up some of the patterns that are regularly seen by T1s, and what people generally do to deal with them (obviously not offering medical advice!). Most of it is taken from many of the conversations that regularly occur within the forum!

http://crick-tech-munch.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-3rs-technique-what-to-do-when.html

It would be good to see what people think.
Hi Tim

I suffer from the dreaded DP, on MDI regime. Just been reading your link on this and within that one way of dealing with it is suggested ''Essentially, the only way to handle it is to give a correction dose of basal on waking''
Is this a typo? I always use novorapid upon waking to stop the DP, just wondered if I used my Basal instead would it have different results? or should it be Bolus we use?

Many thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Tim

I suffer from the dreaded DP, on MDI regime. Just been reading your link on this and within that one way of dealing with it is suggested ''Essentially, the only way to handle it is to give a correction dose of basal on waking''
Is this a typo? I always use novorapid upon waking to stop the DP, just wondered if I used my Basal instead would it have different results? or should it be Bolus we use?

Many thanks
Thanks Bri, indeed it is a Typo, and it has now been corrected.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Thanks Bri, indeed it is a Typo, and it has now been corrected.
Thanks Tim, thought it was but wanted to check
Great document in general tho and some good advice to be had from it

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Michelle

I'm in Normandy, near Saint Lo. As I said, my doctor did no more than tell me to stop eating sugar, He then listed table sugar, jam, marmalade, pastries, chocolate. Didn't mention any carbs whatsoever. Thankfully I've found this forum and now I have a plentiful supply of test strips I am working my way through foods to see what I can eat. Today I bought a tub of fruit du bois flavoured fromage frais from our local Carrefour. It's made at a local farm, so no processing. I just had a small bowl this afternoon and it did absolutely nothing to my BS reading, so hopefully that will help with any sweetness craving. I've come down from 3.95grams to 2.1grams in two weeks (22 to 11.8 in English!) and I'm still only on half my prescribed dose of metformin. Start the full dose today.

I see that you are in NOrmandy too Michelle! Whereabouts? Are you French or English? It was Fredericmarcel in Paris who suggested I take full responsibility myself and it seems in France it's the only way forward. However, with the help of this forum I don't feel so alone. So thank you everyone.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, on the subject of recording data, I've stumbled across a brilliant app for the iPhone (unsure if it's available on android) called mySugr Diabetes Diary. You can record your blood tests, what you eat, exercise, insulin dosages and so on. It plots the data into a line graph each day and also works with Apple Health. I can't recommend this enough it's made recording and reviewing data so easy. Here's the link to check it out:
https://appsto.re/gb/B4uYE.i

Thanks, Adam

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for this, Tim. Of course, I "know" that the 3Rs are the only way, but after mastering my pump I have got really slack about the recording part lately. And I've also started weights and running in the last few weeks, so I needed a kick up the behind to make me record so I can deal with exercise-induced lows, spikes, etc. So I recorded everything today, and better results already. That recording bit stops me just shrugging off 'unexpected' results, and gives my self-control a bit of a tweak.