Signs that the end is nigh... of the Honeymoon Phase

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am just curious to hear from anyone who have been through the honeymoon phase as to whether they noticed any pre-diagnosis symptons such as dry skin, polyuria and so on re-occuring before their blood sugar readings started to go up.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still in honeymoon as yet, but can definitely state that if I get a spike in BG of over 7.5, the skin on my hands and extremities will dry up, split and crack within hours, and it takes a full fortnight before they are fully healed again. Regular moisturising and tight control has been the key. Lchf has made this so much easier.

Cauliflower_rice

Wow, Im still in the honeymoon period and never knew I would get any physical symptoms when things start to change! has the amount of basal insulin changed since coming out of the honeymoon period? and fast acting insulin... Also have your bgs changed a lot even when eating your regular food?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, Im still in the honeymoon period and never knew I would get any physical symptoms when things start to change! has the amount of basal insulin changed since coming out of the honeymoon period? and fast acting insulin... Also have your bgs changed a lot even when eating your regular food?
Experiencing the symptoms Nidge described at that low of a level would be uncommon

To answer your questions, yes your basal and bolus requirement should increase.

The nature of the "honeymoon period" is that you're getting some of your insulin from your pancreas. Over time, your pancreas would produce less and you'd need more basal/bolus until (in theory) the point when your pancreas no longer produces any insulin at all. That would be the point (or very close to it) when you would no longer be in the honeymoon period.

The idea behind the "honeymoon" nickname is that things are very easy at first (like being newly wed) when your pancreas still produces insulin. When the newness wears off the marriage can become more difficult just like managing your diabetes when you no longer produce any natural insulin.

Cauliflower_rice

Experiencing the symptoms Nidge described at that low of a level would be uncommon

To answer your questions, yes your basal and bolus requirement should increase.

The nature of the "honeymoon period" is that you're getting some of your insulin from your pancreas. Over time, your pancreas would produce less and you'd need more basal/bolus until (in theory) the point when your pancreas no longer produces any insulin at all. That would be the point (or very close to it) when you would no longer be in the honeymoon period.

The idea behind the "honeymoon" nickname is that things are very easy at first (like being newly wed) when your pancreas still produces insulin. When the newness wears off the marriage can become more difficult just like managing your diabetes when you no longer produce any natural insulin.
Ok, good analogy there! My marriage is going will at the moment... (luckily) I know insulin usage is individual - but - at the moment I use more bolus insulin than basal on a low carb diet... will that continue or do you think it may flip round when things start to change?
Do you ever have the feeling, you grasp one part of the condition to realise that theres a load more to learn?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like you, I need more bolus than basal at the moment too and yes I expect that to change for me.

Yep, there's always something new to learn. Honestly, I think that's why I take my management so seriously. I find all of this fascinating and love learning about it.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too - bolus is more important. I'm df still in my honeymoon - tho I'm hoping I can extend it for ever! (I'm a late-onset Type1, i.e. a T 1.5/LADA).