35 weeks and possible steroids

nmb264

Hello

I posted last week about the OC I have been diagnosed with. I got an abdominal scan which was clear on Thursday but today mu blood pressure was high and my blood results where abnormal for some of them. The obstetrician has told me to bring my bag when I go back on Thursday just in case.

Feeling very anxious and frustrated that baby is doing ok and the issue is me. I never knew either that diabetic babies lungs mature 2 weeks behind. I hope I can hold out for another week or so.

She also spoke about steroids go help his lungs mature.

Any advice greatly appreciated x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I had pre eclampsia with my first pregnancy and twins with my second pregnancy. Both delivered at 35w and had steroids both times for their lungs. The injections are painful but worth it. They will be worried about your high bp.
Hope everything ok x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
{{hugs}} The issue isn't you. You and baby are a team. It's so easy to blame yourself for everything when you're pregnant, whether you have diabetes or not. I'm sure you've done nothing but your very best the whole time. It's just bad luck you're having these problems.

It's so easy for me to say, but do try to keep as calm as possible. Check your bag, rest and get as much sleep as you can.

And just to add that every baby is different. One of my children was born at 35weeks yet was fine, but my last baby was born at 37 weeks and needed help breathing to start with. I didn't have steroids for either of them, but the steroids will definitely help :)

Sending you lots of love and best wishes XX You and baby are being looked after - that's the most important thing :)

Reactions: 2 people

nmb264

Thank you.

I think it didn't help me BP that I was too fast and it took 45 minutes for them to take me and my blood was going low!x

Hayley9487

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, all in the past 3 weeks I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (diet controlled) and OC, my OC diagnosis was hectic and stressful, I began to itch and my urine was dark so decided to call the 24hour midwife team, the asked me to come in to have a blod test just to make sure. My ALT was over 1000 and they admitted me, i peaked at 1298 ALT when it shouldn't be anywhere near that aswell as my bile acids were 50 something (i felt fine).
However they talked about possible induction at 34 weeks (I was only just 31 weeks) and discussed a plan which I had to have steroids to make my babies lungs stronger just incase. With the steroids (this may be different for you) I had to have 2 injections of steroids 12 hours appart and from the point of the first injection I was on an insulin infusion because the steroids I had can make sugar levels go all over the show, also I had to have my blood sugar levels tested every hour for the 48 hours I was on the infusion, aswell as having a CTG monitor strapped to me for 22 hours to monitor the baby.
After all this I had a liver scan which showed my liver as normal but I have 1-2 small gallstones but these had not caused my ALT levels to rise (they still don't know why and are very confusd by me). I was in hospital for 5 days (2 days were waiting to see a gastro doctor who was too busy to see me) and I now go back twice a week for blood tests to monitor my OC and to have a CTG my levels have come right down now to nearly 300 ALT and my Bile Acids are at 18 (on urso and vit K), i struggle with my GD but getting there, but try not to panic they will really look after you, I can't fault the care I was gived and still receive, I am really glad I trusted my gut rather than listen to people who told me It was normal, the steroids I had hurt but after the injection and its in the bottom. My BP has been fine all the way through, but at points I had shown ketones and once showed protein but I had to do a 24 hour urine sample to cross out preeclampsia. I am 33 weeks on wednesday and they have now told me if my ALT levels continue to come down I will be looking at 37-38 weeks induction but if anything changes It could be sooner. All through baby has been fine thankfully, It was really stressful and watching everyone gorge themselves over christmas but I am alot calmer now, Hope everything goes well for you. x

Reactions: 2 people