Overeating

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a 41 year old man with type 2. I take 4 Metformin a day (500mg).

Every night from about 7 (I have my main meal about 5) i can't stop eating and as you can imagine i'm eating lots of stuff i shouldn't. I'm wondering if anyone has had and overcome this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drink more. Chew sugar-free strawberry gum. Eat yummy, fatty foods (try pork scratchings) that are low carb.

I have to eat last thing at night, as I take allopurinol (for gout) before bed and that can't be taken on an empty stomach.

I generally eat half a Lidl protein roll, toasted with either peanut butter, or marmite and butter. Looking forward to that late night snack sometimes keeps me in check, you just have to hold off the urge to eat rather than denying it altogether.

Just remember, although total calories and therefore weight are important in controlling T2 - carb intake is your real control mechanism.

Reactions: 6 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Kev. First things first - reason for overeating. Is it boredom, hunger, anxiety, something else? If you are having your main meal at 5, that is quite early so you would naturally be hungry later in the evening. There is also the matter of what you are actually eating.
In one of your earlier posts, you mention that you do not monitor your blood glucose level as your surgery doesn't approve. Unfortunately, this is an extremely common occurrence but one that makes it very difficult to manage our diabetes, many of us - if not the majority here - purchase our own meter and test strips ourselves. You can't tell what effect a food has on your bg levels unless you test, and higher carb foods just increase the appetite.

Does that make sense?:)

Reactions: 10 people

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, have a decent dessert. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but about 30 mins to an hour after your dinner, have your dessert (best options are either berries and yoghurt or cream, or stewed rhubarb with sweetener (I like Truvia) and yoghurt or cream).

That way you have a structured programme of eating through the evening. Dinner. Dessert. Nightime snack. Then just drink plenty of non-caffeinated drinks (my poison is rooibos tea taken black) to keep your stomach full and your mouth busy (and because most of us don't drink nearly enough anyway).

Reactions: 4 people

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replies. I definitely don't drink enough, and the structured eating sounds like a good idea will try that, having something to look forward to may help. I have just started having greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast so don't want to risk becoming bored with it by having it at night as well. I really need suggestions for an evening snack/meal? I love peanut butter but when i buy it i always end up putting it on bread :(

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Couple of boiled eggs, slices of ham and some cheese? If you have a Lidl near you (one with a bakery), they do something called a high protein roll, quite a few of us have found we can eat them without it affecting our levels too much. They are filling so a half a one should be enough. I'm sure others will have some suggestions!

Reactions: 2 people

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of boiled eggs, slices of ham and some cheese? If you have a Lidl near you (one with a bakery), they do something called a high protein roll, quite a few of us have found we can eat them without it affecting our levels too much. They are filling so a half a one should be enough. I'm sure others will have some suggestions!
I live 2 mins away from lidl. Will go tomorrow and get a high protein roll and try it. Thank you for your answer.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No probs Kev. It's a triangular shape with a load of seeds - you can't miss it, think it's about 29p. They freeze well too:D.
A bit of advice though - try and think outside the box and don't rely on bread to fill you, think about the other suggestions.

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No probs Kev. It's a triangular shape with a load of seeds - you can't miss it, think it's about 29p. They freeze well too:D.
A bit of advice though - try and think outside the box and don't rely on bread to fill you, think about the other suggestions.
I will. Before diagnosis about 3 years ago i ate at least 12 slices of white bread a day with various fillings. In the 3 years since i have managed to get down to roughly 4-6 wholemeal slices a day but would love to cut it out all together but just can't seem to find a replacement and always end up back on it.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's the problem, wholemeal is just as bad in it's way - they both turn to glucose in the blood. There are loads of ideas here, we can give you a bit of support when things get tough! Once you get a handle on the bread situation (and I'm sure you will, you sound like a determined guy), you will be able to see that, far from filling you up, it has the opposite effect - and you're starving hungry again a couple hours later. If that. Happy shopping (and don't forget the eggs and ham, not too expensive either!):D

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the problem, wholemeal is just as bad in it's way - they both turn to glucose in the blood. There are loads of ideas here, we can give you a bit of support when things get tough! Once you get a handle on the bread situation (and I'm sure you will, you sound like a determined guy), you will be able to see that, far from filling you up, it has the opposite effect - and you're starving hungry again a couple hours later. If that. Happy shopping (and don't forget the eggs and ham, not too expensive either!):D
Thanks again got some great ideas to put into action tomorrow, will let you's know if i succeed in my aim. A lot of stuff you and others have said makes sense (obvious when you hear it said). I have thought about joining a forum like this since diagnosis but never did, wish i'd joined years ago now. Thanks again.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I get hungry in the evening if I haven't eaten enough during the day. I forget breakfast as I'm not hungry in the morning. If I don't eat a decent lunch and a hearty dinner I often get hungry again later. If I also forget lunch it means I need to eat a lot in the evening.

So my suggestion is that you look into your general food intake and maybe eat more. I find hunger a useful signal.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi kev.
I am 45 and been diagnosed for two years now. I have the same problem as you. I am on metaformin 1x500mg with meals, 3x daily.
I am constantly hungry all the time. When you eat you create insulin, which makes you feel hungry. Try munching on all types of nuts, full fat yoghurts and low carb foods.
Carbs create insulin.
Stay away from artificial sweetners, as they will trigger cravings for sugary items.
Generally I eat dessert or small sweet food before main meals, as this will dispate the sugar.
You can load up on carbs if you are gonna do exercise, as you need the energy for stamina. You will burn it off. As long have a good balance diet and excercise, monitor spikes by checking your levels you'll get there.
Its taken me two years to get my levels in range. Try a low carb high fat diet. It works. Good luck your doing well.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you drinking enough fluids? Sometimes what we think of as hunger pangs are actually your body telling you to get some liquids - try some no added sugar cordial or simply a large glass of water

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be exactly the same, and I never realised that high blood sugar levels could make me feel hungry. Switching to an LCHF diet (low carb, high fat) with the help of this forum has made a HUGE difference, like over 6 stones of difference since April. Now I eat 3 small meals plus one or two snacks a day and once I've had my 1250 calories for the day I'm done.

I bought my own meter and test strips (SD Codefree is cheapest for strips) and that helps loads too. Keep asking questions and good luck ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will. Before diagnosis about 3 years ago i ate at least 12 slices of white bread a day with various fillings. In the 3 years since i have managed to get down to roughly 4-6 wholemeal slices a day but would love to cut it out all together but just can't seem to find a replacement and always end up back on it.
You could also try Burgen Linseed & Sunflower bread which is low carb, or LivLife bread. If I'm still hungry after supper I sometimes have a slice or two toasted, and spread with marmite, pate or terrine.
As snacks I also eat babybel cheeses or peperamis - both low carb. Or olives, or slices of chorizo .
Walnuts in shell are also good as they are a bit fiddly to extract so I don't eat too many.

If you want something sweet I recommend @ewelina 's peanut butter cookies which are quite easy to make.

Reactions: 8 people

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to be exactly the same, and I never realised that high blood sugar levels could make me feel hungry. Switching to an LCHF diet (low carb, high fat) with the help of this forum has made a HUGE difference, like over 6 stones of difference since April. Now I eat 3 small meals plus one or two snacks a day and once I've had my 1250 calories for the day I'm done.

I bought my own meter and test strips (SD Codefree is cheapest for strips) and that helps loads too. Keep asking questions and good luck ;)
Thank you. This Forum is helping me loads already

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wa
You could also try Burgen Linseed & Sunflower bread which is low carb, or LivLife bread. If I'm still hungry after supper I sometimes have a slice or two toasted, and spread with marmite, pate or terrine.
As snacks I also eat babybel cheeses or peperamis - both low carb. Or olives, or slices of chorizo .
Walnuts in shell are also good as they are a bit fiddly to extract so I don't eat too many.

If you want something sweet I recommend @ewelina 's peanut butter cookies which are quite easy to make.
I used to eat walnuts but started having dizzy spells after eating. Tried burgen but didn't like. Babybels are a good idea though. Thank you

DaveNN

I am a 41 year old man with type 2. I take 4 Metformin a day (500mg).

Every night from about 7 (I have my main meal about 5) i can't stop eating and as you can imagine i'm eating lots of stuff i shouldn't. I'm wondering if anyone has had and overcome this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I, too, was doing exactly the same.
I just decided to go to bed very early.. TV or IPad ( even the other half, sometimes) for company.
That way, it was too much of an effort to toddle off downstairs to the fridge or chocolate drawer.
As noted earlier, your evening meal is a little early ( for some).
That said, providing you don't slope off for a midnight feast, your morning figures should be good.
One thing that I do is not eat ( difficult when away on business)'outside of a 10 HR window. So, breakfast at 9am and nothing after 7pm- for example.

I wish you well.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Hi Kevkevkev I know what you are going through I suffered the same my doctor put me on Byette injections a Diabetus medication it stops me looking for food in fact I can go from breakfast at 8 till 3 in the afternoon if I let it. But I don't but it helps the food to leave stomach slowly I was very over weight but I have lost a lot of weight in the last two years.