Sleep deprivation

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was very pleased to find out last week that I was pregnant after several months of trying :) However I was getting bad lower abdomen pain at night, so the doctor sent me for an emergency scan as she was worried the pregnancy might be ectopic.

The sonographer found what she thinks is the tiny egg sac in the right place, but also said I had a large functional cyst which may be causing pressure and subsequent pain.

Having done some reading myself I've also found out that trapped wind is a common early pregnancy symptom, and sometimes the pain feels more like that.

So basically I'm being tag teamed by the cyst and trapped wind every night. I go to sleep ok, but wake up in incredible pain at around 2am. I don't seem to be able to do anything to stop it. I've taken paracetamol, peppermint tea (bleurgh), hot water bottles, exercising, not exercising....

This has been 2 weeks of sleepless nights now. I was expecting these once the baby arrives, but not 6 weeks in! Has anyone else has similar trouble and any further suggestions for relief?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sorry to hear your in so much pain. I didn't have the same pain but had incredible leg pain and all down my right side especially. Suffered from bad pelvic pain with first pregnancy. The only thing was to take paracetamol to try ease it.

Have you got a pregnancy pillow? Or try hot water bottle (not too warm though). Have you tried having a bath? What happens if you get up does it ease? I had a yoga ball too.

Unfortunately these babies cause all sorts of changes in your body and can be painful.

Can you ask for a referral to women's physio see if they can do anything?
x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never had any abdominal pain like that, but I did have a general bloated/heavy feeling early on.

But your mention of "incredible pain" doesn't sound like that. Could it be heartburn? Does eating something plain help?

Or could it be the position you're falling asleep in? I second the recommendation of a pregnancy pillow (not necessarily for this, just in general) I slept on my back for the first few weeks of pregnancy, then swapped to my side. I used a pregnancy pillow from around 16 weeks very roughly.

I hope it eases for you soon.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Post it on mumsnet. You'll get a much larger pool of pregnant women to ask the question to.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the advice - I will look into pregnancy pillows. It's definitely worse when I sleep in certain positions, so that might help.

Reactions: 2 people

nmb264

I suffered severe abdominal.crampung in the early stages like period cramps. It was awful. Then week 14 it just disappeared!

Hopefully yours will too x