Accu Chek Insight - another warning :(

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone received this email too? I think Im starting to regret that I chose this pump. Handset that you can throw out of the window (it froze three times today), steel cannula being withdrawn and now this. Do we really need quick bolus function if it can be accidentally unlocked in the pocket? I'm not sure if this pump is safe to use at all!

Here the email I received:

We have recently received feedback from people with diabetes using the Accu-Chek Insight system, that they experienced an accidental unlocking of the pump keys and an unintentional operation of the system. We immediately investigated this feedback and identified the handling instructions and user manual of the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump to be not detailed detailed enough regarding the description of the Key Lock function. This could potentially be misinterpreted or lead to unintentional, accidental operation of the pump. Such unintentional operation could potentially result in an under- or overdose of insulin and lead to severe health consequences, e.g. hyper- or hypoglycaemia.

As patient safety is our top priority, Roche Diabetes Care has enhanced the handling instructions for the Accu-Chek Insight system with immediate effect. In doing so, we aim to ensure that every user of the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump knows how to operate and wear the system appropriately. These measures will help reduce the risk of an unintentional activation of the pump or accidental insulin delivery.

Important Information

1. UviRW51gHbFV4H6cXlR3McfloW1Rrq3ICd-GCcOlIHxdgsUuE7kaU_HlYWE2iPWNMLR-drApU1nLqJIpdTmC1g3zCa4_Q0SAmcKCFqjGX3rGqYt6CEFEVuk9EEdR5HPXfw=s0-d-e1-ft
    Ensure the pump does not come into contact with other objects in the pocket such as keys, coins or phones. Such objects could damage the pump or accidentally press the Quick Bolus keys or the keys on the front of the pump. This could potentially result in an unintentional bolus delivery or unlocking of the pump. Such an accidental operation of the system can be detected by the vibration or acoustic alarm of the pump.
  2. Please be aware that the Key Lock function of the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump locks only the buttons on the front of the insulin pump.
  3. The Quick Bolus keys on the top of the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump are not locked by the Key Lock function. To activate the Quick Bolus function, one of the keys needs to be pressed for more than 3 seconds. The Quick Bolus keys are designed to enable an immediate bolus delivery. These keys can also be used to cancel a bolus in any situation.
  4. Please be aware that the automatic Key Lock function of the pump is set to lock 30 seconds after the last key was pressed. This timeframe can be changed based on your individual needs from 4 to 60 seconds.
Recommendations for appropriate wearing and operation of the pump:

1. Please wear the pump in such a way that the Quick Bolus keys on the top of the pump cannot be pressed accidentally, in particular when carrying the pump in a pocket or wearing it under clothing (e.g. do not wear it in a pocket together with a car key, coins or other objects).
  2. Please ensure that the pump keys on the front of the pump cannot be pressed accidentally. During the night while you are asleep, you may want to wear your pump in a protective case.
  3. Please make sure to adjust the timeout interval for the Key Lock function to your individual needs. For children, it is recommended to use the minimum timeout interval of 4 seconds. This means that the pump will automatically lock itself 4 seconds after an accidental unlocking, if no other key has been pressed in the meantime.
  4. Parents and caregivers should advise children not to press any pump keys, unless a pump operation is required, to avoid any unintentional operation of the pump.
  5. For children and adolescents using the the Accu-Chek Insight system or users who are concerned that they may activate the Quick Bolus function unintentionally, we recommend setting the Quick Bolus increment to the minimum, i.e. 0.10 units.

Smurfs1010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I am going to get an insulin pump next year and the hospital gave me a choice between the omnipod,accu chek insight and one of the Medtronic pumps but I'm not sure which to choose but I don't want the omnipod so what is better the accu chek or the Medtronic

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all I am going to get an insulin pump next year and the hospital gave me a choice between the omnipod,accu chek insight and one of the Medtronic pumps but I'm not sure which to choose but I don't want the omnipod so what is better the accu chek or the Medtronic
I dont have experience with medtronic so cant advice. I just met someone with omnipod and really like it. Very descret and I would go for it if I coild chsnge now

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
My first pump a Medtronic 640g and I can't fault it and I have been using it for 6 months,good luck with whatever you choose.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This warning been out quite a while now.... With current state of play with Accuchek.. I wouldn't opt for the Insight.

steveo4

I wish I could get the omnipod but it is not available at my hospital I was on the insight but hated it and now back on injections

ono

"Please wear the pump in such a way that the Quick Bolus keys on the top of the pump cannot be pressed accidentally"
You gotta be kidding...
Sounds like when Apple said of their antenna problems that "users are holding the phone wrong"

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Am I glad my DSN talked me out of the Insight and I went for the Medtronic 640g which I am totally happy with.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a pump user but just reading that I'm like - WOW! so you have a button that can't be disabled that can suddenly give you a shot of insulin with just 1 touch? Someones for the chop surely?!