Beetroot juice or tablets?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Has anybody tried beetroot juice or tablets?

A colleague of my hubby reckons that he had fatty liver from alchohol and now constantly drinks beetroot juice and his liver has returned to normal...the colleague did say it also added as a constipation reliever!!

I looked in Tesco and Waitrose as there's meant to be an organic brand sold by them but couldn't find pure organic.

Couple weeks ago I did try a veg/beetroot juice and it did really bably upset my stomach and gave enormous relief from sliw colonic transit!!

Just wondered whether anybody else has or is taking homemade juiced beetroots or beetroot juice (where do you purchase it from?) or tablets?

Heard on radio 4 it was meant to be good for hypertension but studies on it seem to be very small and limited to be of any good quality.

Does would appreciate any feedback...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thought I'd give some capsules a try!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We eat beetroot, buy it in the vacuum packs in the likes of Aldi & Lidl for around 50p, it's said to have many health benefits but I just enjoy the taste.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats another "hate" food on my list to try and knock off then. Think I must have been vinegar ones as a child-and disliked ever since.
Amazed at hubbys colleague how his liver probs resolved from drinking beetroot juice-daily. Too lazy to juice my own and can't find any bottles in shops anywhere! So looks like trying capsules instead. Can't face 2 whole beetroot a day!!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
When I was a kiddie, I was always told that I should eat my beetroot (we had loads of salads) as it was "good for the blood". I loathe the stuff with a passion:yuck:. It leaks that horrible pink juice, stains everything it comes into contact with, including fingers, and sits there looking slimy and horrible:wideyed:.
I thought I would give it another try and year or so ago, have it in one of those mixed salad bags. Nope - it's still as yuck as I remember! I shall have to endure watching my OH eating the pickled stuff over Christmas - he's welcome to it. I'll stick with leafy veg for the iron:D

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Su
Thats another "hate" food on my list to try and knock off then. Think I must have been vinegar ones as a child-and disliked ever since.
Amazed at hubbys colleague how his liver probs resolved from drinking beetroot juice-daily. Too lazy to juice my own and can't find any bottles in shops anywhere! So looks like trying capsules instead. Can't face 2 whole beetroot a day!!
permarkets sell 'Beet it' juice produced by a company called James White. There has been much research into its properties. I found it helped with reducing my high blood pressure, and improved my lung capacity, (I have asthma). Only need a small glassful. Too much can increase nitrate levels in blood. It had no adverse effect on my blood glucose levels, though for some it could be a problem. So would recommend as always, to be guided by BG meter.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Searched everywhere in Tesco and Waitrose for the brand you mentioned.. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope this is of use to you @donnellysdogs
The first time I bought it, I ordered it online from the company. It is now available in my local Tesco, and Asda.

Disclaimer: I am not advertising, nor do I have any connection, or financial advantage by informing OP, (or indeed anyone else) of this product.
From Tesco website:
Organic beetroot and apple juice

For more information about current research and interest from the sporting world, visit www.beet it.com

Please do visit www.jameswhite.co.uk to learn about our full range of wonderful pressed juices and see some pictures of our new beetroot pressing plant the first and only one of its kind in the U.K Help us turn East Anglia purple

Why organic?
Organic farming uses traditional methods like crop rotation and natural pest control rather than pesticides and chemical fertilisers which can end up in the final produce. Artificial preservatives and additives are also a no-no. And we end up with simply the best tasting juice on the market - why compromise?

Beetroot juice for those who do not like beetroots!

We add a small amount of pressed apple juice to smooth the natural earthy taste of beetroot, whilst retaining its distinctive taste and smell.

James White Drinks started more than 25 years ago, pressing fantastic single variety apple juice - Bramley, Cox and Russet. We are based at Whites Fruit Farm just north of Ipswich in Suffolk. In 1996, we launched Big Tom, our fabulous spicy tomato juice, which was granted a Royal Warrant by HM The Queen in 2002. Soon after, we started bottling beetroot juice, which we now increasingly supply worldwide.

In 2007, we were approached by a group of scientists who were carrying out both medical and sports performance scientific research with beetroot juice. We are very privileged now to be supplying research projects at many universities all over the world. It has been a very exciting experience and their published research findings have attracted much media interest.

Try our new Beet It blends:
We know that some people love the taste of Beet It beetroot juice, but not everyone!
We have developed two blends with 80% beetroot juice content, so packed full of beetroot goodness, that taste very different.
Passionfruit - a radically different taste
The soft warm tingle of crushed ginger

Pack Size: 1Litre

• Organic
  • Not from concentrate
  • 5 a day - just eat more (fruit & veg)
  • 150ml of Beet It organic beetroot juice provides one of your daily portions of fruit and vegetables
  • This juice has been pasteurised and there are no preservatives in it
  • Suitable for vegetarians
Information
Ingredients:
Organic Beetroot Juice (90%), Organic Apple Juice (10%)

Storage:
  • Once opened, keep refrigerated and use within five days.
Country of Origin:
United Kingdom

Origin Free Text:
Product of UK

Number Of Uses:
4 Serving size: 250ml

Preparation and Usage:
Beet It organic beetroot juice is best kept and served chilled.

Additives:
  • Free From Artificial Preservatives
  • No preservatives
Name and Address:
James White Drinks Ltd,
White's Fruit Farm,
Ashbocking,
Ipswich,
Suffolk,
IP6 9JS,
UK.

Return To:
James White Drinks Ltd,
White's Fruit Farm,
Ashbocking,
Ipswich,
Suffolk,
IP6 9JS,
UK.
Tel: +44(0)1473 890111
Web: www.jameswhite.co.uk / www.beet-it.com

Safety Warning:
Be aware: Drinking beetroot juice may turn your urine pink - this is quite normal!

Net Contents:
1 Litres ℮

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Pipp

Do they have reasonable shelf life? Its the only thing that bothers me ordering online.. I always go for the longest shelf life.. But believe customers get the shortest if ordering online??

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure I used to buy it in bottles in Sainsburys, but it was a while ago

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I love it on hot pots and casseroles.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp

Do they have reasonable shelf life? Its the only thing that bothers me ordering online.. I always go for the longest shelf life.. But believe customers get the shortest if ordering online??
Yes they do. You have to keep them in the fridge once opened.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Brilliant thank you !! Onward with search... None in Morrisons. May have to contact manufacturer to find out best source to get drink through. We live in a city now, so not as if we're in the back of beyond!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great, may have to get hold of manufacturer as been to every supermarket now and nothing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great, may have to get hold of manufacturer as been to every supermarket now and nothing.

Why don't you just buy it whole and liquidise it yourself if you want it as a drink?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why don't you just buy it whole and liquidise it yourself if you want it as a drink?

Too lazy to be honest. And too worried about making a purple mess everywhere! I wouldn't do it everyday or even every other day.

For me its hard to just cook a dinner!! No appetite etc. just wouldn't be bothered to juice to honest!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@donnellysdogs
The first time I bought it I ordered it from the company, as I couldn't find it in stores. This was about 5 years ago. They delivered promptly, I think it was a dozen bottles. I had been impressed with the research, particularly the claim that it could reduce hypertension. It did appear to. You have just reminded me, and I am off to buy some more. I don't know where you are from, but it is stocked in all of the supermarkets in my area. Tesco, Asda, Co-op, Sainsbury and Morrison. Perhaps if you contacted the company they would let you know which stores in your area they supply. You might not like it, so one bottle or carton might be enough, otherwise you will have an awful lot of donations to bottle stalls at fetes.

If you want to try the whole beetroot, I love them roasted. Messy things to prepare though.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Pipp I've now been to Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrisons!! Still nothing on the shelves. Seen apple and beetroot today. Have now purchased 500 beetroot capsules online...

Have written down for hubby to buy a pack and to try them.. Non vinegar ones. Bet I will start to like these too!! Friend reckons he eats them like apples!