Do you want to live to 120!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Apparently Metformin has been thought to increase life. They are doing trials on some elderly folk to see if this is the case. I'm sure some clever folk on here can find the link. Its been shown that diabetics on Metformin lived on average 8 yrs longer. However I don't want to live till I'm 120!.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately no one knows how long each individual is going to live for anyway so Im always sceptical when researchers make comments like this. It was the experts who once told mothers to sleep their babies on their stomachs then ten years later they told them not to do it as it caused SIDS. For it to be accurate they would have to look into the future to see the exact date of death of a person to know whether or not their life has been extended by the trial.

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its just that its all over the news. And as for babies sleeping on their tummies I did that with all 4 of mine - its the only way they or I got any sleep. Its a mad mad world.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
@4ratbags
"Unfortunately no one knows how long each individual is going to live"
That's why I don't buy Green Bananas
;)

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My point exactly @Randburg. It makes me mad when they claim to extend someones life expectancy when they dont know how someone is going to live for. Its all guessing and estimations based on their current heakth status ect.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I wouldn't.. that means a good 30 years or so in a nursing home doesn't it? lol. Plus I haven't heard mention that whilst they think it may prolong life it is good at upsetting your bowel and stomach so you may not want to be living to 120 stuck on the toilet all day (I had a rough time on metformin)..... hardly what I call living.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I loved metformin, I only had an upset tummy when I ate carbs (twice) and yes I would love to live to 120, as long as my family and friends did too. :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I wouldn't.. that means a good 30 years or so in a nursing home doesn't it? lol. Plus I haven't heard mention that whilst they think it may prolong life it is good at upsetting your bowel and stomach so you may not want to be living to 120 stuck on the toilet all day (I had a rough time on metformin)..... hardly what I call living.

My futures not as bleak as your's I guess.
Not based on my response to metformin anyway.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My futures not as bleak as your's I guess.
Not based on my response to metformin anyway.
that's good you can tolerate it :) The results of this study won't be known for another 5 years though. I also heard recently they claim it may prevent breast and uterine cancers and they're considering using it as a preventative. I don't mind it when drugs do a good job, but I have to be able to tolerate them.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How will the metformin that I take prevent me from being run over by the proverbial No 7 bus ? !
CAROL

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds like another pitch now that statins are unpopular since the admission that they were never tested for adverse side effects.

We appear to have a new wonder drug with "down the line" benefits which by their very nature cannot be properly tested until we are down the line.

In my work office we had a rumour monger. It took a while to develop a method of sniffing him out but the technique was to ask someone spreading the rumour, "Who told you this?". Then you went to that person with the same question. In about four moves or less you always arrived at the same persons desk who would burst out laughing and tell you it was only a joke.

In the wider world these people seem to wear white coats in order to improve their credibility. Few of them actually have deserved the right to wear that white coat before someone starts to believe them.

As you can probably tell I'm a skeptic. A comedian once said that we are not going to live until we are 150, it will just feel like it. Living until I am 80 taking a prescribed drug and finding it was all a sales pitch sounds more believable somehow.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Two conditions, only if I stayed healthy and the other is I wouldn't want my family going before me so they'd have to be included.

Did anyone see Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy last week, she was visiting the island of Sardinia and they have over 411 centenarians living there when the programme was recorded out of a population of 1.6 million.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, I think maybe ninety is enough if I'm honest!

Just think of the great great great grandkids pressies you'd have to buy!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What on earth for?? :wideyed: I've seen my own mother live to her mid 90s and MIL live to well over 100, and they had no quality of life, didn't know who or where they were - what on earth could possibly make me wish for that?

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quality, not quantity is what I want.

This could be another ploy of either the pharmaceutical companies to get us to boost their profits, or (possibly as well as) the government needing another reason to justify pushing the state pension age even higher.

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they are all prescribed Metformin in Sardinia, could be a possibility or not?

Reactions: 4 people