What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yoghurt with nuts, seeds and raw cacao
L: saag paneer made from canned mustard leaf puree, salad and some Palak's chilli pickle (1.4g carbs/100g), then a few squares of 90% chocolate
D: handful nuts and seeds, then slow-cooked apple cider chicken (slow cooked drumsticks with apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, onion and garlic), broccoli, olive oil and some tahini, few cherry tomatoes, few squares of 90% chocolate

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs n cream, scrambled

L: cheese, peri peri mayo, coffee n cream

D: 2 mince patties, 2 eggs, cauliflour with peri peri mayo, pepsi max

S: ham, peri peri mayo

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Fast day so no "food" until this evening - tea then a few coffees with cream until 6pm.
Dinner - Last nights savoury mince, with a few kidney beans (I can manage them), tom puree and fresh and raw chili added. Steamed green beans and broccoli. Couple squares of dark choc this evening, really full from dinner:)

Reactions: 4 people

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sitting here catching up on everybody & have come to a decision (I think!) - I'm going to have to say "goodbye" to you because, I note that so many of you are having hardly any carbs, & as for fasting for hours, well, I just can't do that. I'm Type 2 with insulin. But I'll keep watch for a while and get back to you!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sitting here catching up on everybody & have come to a decision (I think!) - I'm going to have to say "goodbye" to you because, I note that so many of you are having hardly any carbs, & as for fasting for hours, well, I just can't do that. I'm Type 2 with insulin. But I'll keep watch for a while and get back to you!!

Nah! stick around! This is the low carb, not the very low carb forum.
OK so some of us feel better on vlc, but there aren't any rules to say we HAVE to do it.

do you know how many carbs you have? if it less than 150g a day, on average, then you are a fully paid up member. :D

And as for the fasting thing... there is absolutely NOTHING in the 'rules' that say fasting has to go alongside LC. It is just a new tool in the T2 toolkit that has come along in the last couple of years, because of a guy called Jason Fung managing to get his T2 patients off insulin and other T2 meds by reducing their insuln resistance - but it AIN'T obligatory. Honest!

Go on, tell the truth, do you think it has been helping by posting on this thread? :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MARGAR dont you dare go anywhere, as Brunneria stated you dont need to do fasting, I dont. Plus we are all different so we in turn all eat different amounts of carbs. Please do stick around as it is great when newbies come.in to see all the different variations, when I first looked here I thought it wasnt for me either but I was wrong and I find it keeps me on track, somewhat at least.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eģgs n cream, scrambled

L: cheeseburger, no bun, chicken thigh

D: 2 x cheesecake slice, coffee n cream

S: ham, cheese, peri peri mayo(getting addicted), cream cheese mixture, coffee n cream

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Please don't give up on us. Its sad to lose people from this thread but we are all different and the way we deal with our diabetes is different, too. What suits one might not suit another but it is interesting to read how others cope. I used to inject huge amounts of both slow acting and fast acting insulin but with a combination of patience, vlc and (now) occasional fasting I've been able to completely come off the injections and I feel much better for it. No more brain fog!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today:

Breakfast: Tetley redbush tea with vanilla. I just can't face food this early.
Lunch: Yet more of that chicken and veg soup. Its more like a stew and very filling but I'm beginning to feel like I've jumped out of one rut in to another - anyway, today's bowl full will be drizzled with garlic oil and some parmesan.
Dinner: I eat this meal at work and it has to be easily portable. As the kitchen at work is in full use it has to be eaten cold - so today its romaine lettuce, 3 cherry tomatoes, a few slices of red onion, two boiled eggs, 50g grated mature cheddar and three thick slices of ham (and a tablespoon of Hellmans original).

I'm sleeping better without having supper and my fbg is much lower in the mornings so it might be a thing of the past.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, mushrooms, smoked salmon
L: disappointing choice for school lunch. Rather grey looking cold roast chicken (I think) slices, rocket which had enormous salt crystals in it. I had to check that it wasn't glass!! A bit of coleslaw.
D: curried meatballs, kale and cauliflower rice fried in butter
S: Malteser mini reindeer. Had intended to take into school to go in our class advent calendar...:oops:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to low carb but certainly don't always succeed! And the only time I fast is when I'm asleep. Maybe I should just sleep more...:happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: mozzarella, olives, steak tomato, olive oil
S: good choc
D: turkey burgers, broccoli cheese and courgetti. Very disappointing meal. Didn't put enough ooomph in the burgers, but not sure what. Umami? Chilli? Dried unsweetened cranberries. Any of them would have been an improvement!

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a busy week with visitors staying and working on a conference so have been fudging my LCHF diet. Back on it today though!

B: water, turkey breast slice, piece of cheese
L: sardines in olive oil, mackerel pate, crudités, roast veg (buffet at training day)
D: chicken breast in aubergine pesto, steamed cauliflower and broccoli
S: almonds, dark chocolate square

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Yoghurt with fruit and nuts. Was a rebel today and added a few grapes tsk tsk
L: Hospital canteen belly pork with some mixed veg
D: Salad with mozzarella, salami and cheese with 2 crackers
S: few pieces dark choc. Unfortunately it wasn't Lindt (which is my favourite) cos everyone else in the house likes it too. In fact this evening I pulled the pack out of the cupboard and found it empty. Grrrrrrrr

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday:
B. White coffee with sweetener.
L. Green tea with liquorice and spice infusion, one slice toasted Burgen bread with Ardennes pate.
S. Slow cooker beef with roast sweet potato and celeriac, cauliflower and broccoli. 2 squares of 73% cocoa raspberry dark chocolate.
S. Sula humbugs, walnuts and hazelnuts during the day. I know hazelnuts aren't good but I like them and they are only available at this time of year.

I had three 187ml bottles of Merlot, which was too much, and two babybels and two peperamis later. I think I'm getting complacent now and eating and drinking more alcohol now after the initial shock of diagnosis has receded. My weight loss is slowing down. I need to be more disciplined.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An outing at work means not much in the way of a healthy meal there, so:

Breakfast: Tetley Redbush with vanilla tea (very yummy!)

Lunch: More chicken, cannellini bean and veg mega stew/soup - topped with some toasted sesame oil and possibly some parmesan.

Work tea (while others are eating McDonalds on the vehicle): Lidl Protein Roll filled with cream cheese, ham, lettuce and cucumber.

I've noticed that now I've stopped having supper that I'm waking up after only 4-5 hour sleep. I'm not hungry.... just awake. Not sure what thats all about!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B: coffeencream
L: mozzarella, olives, steak tomato, olive oil
S: good choc
D: turkey burgers, broccoli cheese and courgetti. Very disappointing meal. Didn't put enough ooomph in the burgers, but not sure what. Umami? Chilli? Dried unsweetened cranberries. Any of them would have been an improvement!

I've heard of umami but didn't realise it was a thing you could actually buy?

Love the idea of the cranberries - you could use fresh ones at this time of year. Things I've put in turkey burgers: previously roasted garlic (roast lots of bulbs then keep in fridge to go in almost everything - lovely smokey flavour), garlic powder, marmite, vegemite, finely chopped salad onion, cumin, chinese five spice, chunk of stilton/gorgonzola buried in the middle, chopped smoked bacon, finely grated lemon or lime zest, dried apricot.... (not all at the same time though) the list is endless.... I feel hungry now :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook
Those are great suggestions!

The umami comes in different ways, depending on where you shop.
Both Tescos and Sainsury's do their own little jars, and then there is the posh original Flavour No 5, if that is still on sale, but Tescos have stopped selling it. If there is MSG included, then don't get it, cos it is a cheap knock off.

If you look at the ingredients, it is mainly just a paste made up of parmesan, anchovy and sun dried tomato, all of which contain the magic umami-ness, so you could do a DIY version by just using small amounts of those ingredients.

But for heaven's sake, be sparing with the stuff! I find a 1/4 teasp in a dish that serves 4 ppl is plenty. don't be tempted to taste it unblended. It will knock your sense of taste out for hours.