GPs reporting unfit to drive

C

catherinecherub

I guess these posts will be axed as off topic. Maybe they really should be addressed elsewhere but certain things just cannot be ignored.

I am not going to remove them @ladybird64 as I think that although they do not relate directly to the thread topic, they do show how people can be judgemental. You have to walk in other people's shoes to know the true story.
Stress and depression play a big part in diabetes and we cannot ignore the fact that not everybody can afford to move, change jobs and the like.
There, but for the grace of God go all of us.
Now could we please get back on track and discuss about G.P.s reporting people who they consider should not be driving.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This post has been deleted as it is not relevant to the topic.

If you wish to discuss please do so via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get adaptations to your car if you have no feeling in your feet.
I do not know of any adaptations yet that can compensate for advanced retinopathy, or for effects of drowsiness due to effects of medications or high or low BG.

Yeah, they have been working on that sort of stuff for years!

Sweet-Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The rain.
I voluntary surrendered my drivers licence 4 years ago after having an accident (drove into the back of another vehicle) due to lack of concentration whilst being on other prescribed medication. What really scared me was that I had my daughter and 2 week old grandson in the car at the time! That was the wake-up call needed... I have been issued with a free concessionary travel pass, which really helps me get about.

Reactions: 11 people

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
Sweet-Blood i have total respect for you giving up driving. Worked as a mechanic for ten years, had several cars in which had hit people ( no one killed) seeing a mark on a bonnet where the head of a child has impacted is a wake up call. When it comes to driving our vehicle are dangerous if not treated with respect. Good idea that GPS can report to dvla if needed, its easier to get a licence back than getting a life back. If a vehicle can be modified to meet the needs of the driver then thats fine( had some cars with hand controls for throttle and brake). If someone wonders if they should inform dvla and insurance about any illness or medication then common sense should say to just tell them.

Reactions: 14 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Scotland we've had at least two cases that come to mind...
last christmas bin lorry in Glasgow, where the driver fell asleep and the lorry ploughed into a number of people...
On the A9 in the far North a driver fell asleep and flatten two people standing off the road...
They both had previous, due to their medical conditions, and yet were still allowed to drive...
but then the number of drivers who drive without insurance and or license....
It's not a good system.....

Reactions: 2 people

rhidianh

Hi

Just thought I would let you know the following from GMC advice to GPs regarding being "fit to drive"

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-pr...-gmc/20030530.fullarticle#.VlWT4LMyjp8.mailto

Hope the link works ok.

Hi All,

My own view on this is based on experience and you can’t beat experience. Around two years ago I was feeling ill and drinking a lot, not really being aware of diabetic symptoms, I left it quite late to see a doctor. On the second diabetic appointment with the nurse, they found that my ketones were very high and I was sent into hospital. Whilst there, I was treated by the doctors/consultants, they started me on metformin, two 500mg tablets a day, by the end of the first week I was told that I needed to go on to insulin injections. Of course being a patient you trust the doctors/consultant to get your treatment right, unfortunately they got it wrong. When leaving the hospital, I was informed by the doctors that it was the law that I had to inform DVLA and being naive, I thought of course, I need to do this because of the chance of a hypo, the DVLA will be helpful and fair when dealing with drivers with this condition, was I wrong! I informed the DVLA and at first they where helpful, giving me a date when my licence would go to a three year licence, which would mean I would lose my grandfather rights to drive to drive a 7.5 ton vehicle until my renewal date at age 70. At first I accepted this, as it could not be helped, after all it an illness. When I went back to see the main consultant at the hospital a few week later, he told me to come off the insulin and see how it goes, as he did not think I should be on insulin. He increases my metformin to 6 x 500mg tablets a day, in the later months he decreased them to two a day and I been fine for the last two years. So I called the DVLA and they did not want to know, they refused to cancel the move to a three year licence, even if the consultant wrote a letter clearly stating this. In the end it cost me near £400 in solicitor charges to sort this out with DVLA, after which they backed down and cancelled the three year licence renewal date, I kept my grandfather rights. It all well and right having safe guards in place to stop people driving when they are unsafe to do so and I back that fully. By the same token the process they use have to be fair and any lose of driving rights like my grandfather rights should be re-instated if the situation changes with the illness and confirmed by the doctors. If the government is changing the law to ensure doctors will tell DVLA then they also need to change the DVLA way of handling the case to be fair to all!

lindisfel

Expert
It needs to be a level playing, all the poor eyesight and crazy driving should result in immediate loss of licence.

Some medical conditions result in losing a bus/lorry licence but not a private car.

This rule has implications for G.P.s they need to spend more time analyzing their patient drivers health conditions with a fine toothcomb. How do they know if patients sleep apnea is serious enough to stop them driving?

With Afib one can only drive a private car.

How the guy who blacked out in the bin lorry could self certify himself as fit to drive, beggars belief .

Young drivers have a very high proportion of serious accidents, perhaps they should not be insured without a auto monitor on the vehicle.

A lot of youngsters have killed themselves and friends driving on these country roads.
I remember being young and male and it had serious 'health' issues driving a 650cc motorbike.

Its a pity the police have been cut back so much.
D.

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Heard last week about an old man blown down out of his gardening shoes .
Fatally wounded - by a driver at wheel collapsed with an diabetic hypo .

He had been out in his front garden collecting the last of the late autumns leaves .
Driver left road at speed unconscious drove straight into him .
His shoes were found yards away from his body .

This actually happened to my very own hairdresser .
She was the old man's neighbour .

The driver was jailed and disqualified from driving .

So yes I agree doctors or DSN;s should report any one who wont take their
diabetes seriously whilst using insulin .

123sheila

It is not only diabetics that require testing. Lots of medical problems could cause drivers to have accidents. They should test everyone not just diabetics.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not only diabetics that require testing. Lots of medical problems could cause drivers to have accidents. They should test everyone not just diabetics.

What would they be testing "everyone" for, and when?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There is a very long list of medical conditions that the DVLA have on the notification list. DVLA are not just picking on people with diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where i work, people are actively discouraged from making judgements like this.

Work stress is massively relieved by holidays, hobbies and getting out of the house.
Pressuring people who are already stressed into hiding in their homes, as if they are doing something wrong, is not helpful to them.

If that kind of comment were made at my work, the speaker would be investigated for workplace bullying.

Hi . Liked your comment. I was of with depression and was told to go out for walks an visit friends but always felt guilty going out thinking that if I was seen people would think I was just skiving of work
Clive

Reactions: 2 people