Do you want to live to 120!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
In a word -no:)

S

Shar67

It's swings and roundabouts
Not smoking + 4
Boozer - 7
Aspirin + 3
Obese - 10
Tee total + 10
Diabetes - 6
Daily work outs + 5
One glass of red wine + 3
Married man - 4
Married woman + 4
No children + 6
Children (depending how many times you were really worried) + 6
Genetics+/- 10 years
Etc etc etc
I think I died 2 years ago giving the number of minuses I have

Reactions: 13 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What on earth for?? :wideyed: I've seen my own mother live to her mid 90s and MIL live to well over 100, and they had no quality of life, didn't know who or where they were - what on earth could possibly make me wish for that?

Robbity
Likewise - no way do I want to go like my grandmother. My uncle used to call her "the incredible shrinking woman" as her osteoporosis got worse and worse. Unfortunately for her, her brain was as sharp as ever so she was aware of everything that was happening to her in the last, drawn out weeks of her 104 years. Absolutely ghastly :(

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's swings and roundabouts
I think I died 2 years ago giving the number of minuses I have
Don't know my actual time of death but it appears that I too have outlived my allocated three score years and ten.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Likewise - no way do I want to go like my grandmother. My uncle used to call her "the incredible shrinking woman" as her osteoporosis got worse and worse. Unfortunately for her, her brain was as sharp as ever so she was aware of everything that was happening to her in the last, drawn out weeks of her 104 years. Absolutely ghastly :(

Yes, I used to discuss this with a close friend who was nearly 20 years older than me - we could never decide which was the worse fate, a sharp mind in a helpless failing body, or having to live with complete confusion and senility in a relatively healthy one. What really grieves me is that in the UK we're cannot give the assistance to a person in these situations that we are allowed to give to our pets.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I used to discuss this with a close friend who was nearly 20 years older than me - we could never decide which was the worse fate, a sharp mind in a helpless failing body, or having to live with complete confusion and senility in a relatively healthy one. What really grieves me is that in the UK we're cannot give the assistance to a person in these situations that we are allowed to give to our pets.

Robbity

Always an out whenever you want one.
Even if you're still fit and healthy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...e-ends-her-life-because-old-age-is-awful.html

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always an out whenever you want one.
Even if you're still fit and healthy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...e-ends-her-life-because-old-age-is-awful.html
I think maybe we're getting a bit gruesome here... So Thanks but No Thanks! I can live a few more years being old and diabetic and still reasonably able in mind and body... The problem is that when mental or physical deterioration reaches the point of unacceptability it could be too late to do much about it.
Robbity

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The results of this study won't be known for another 5 years though.

I'm having trouble working out the logic to this.. I certainly don't claim to be a mathematician.

They will work out after 5 years of controlled clinical tests to find out if the drug can increase "lifespan" by 30 or 40 years...??!!

Am I missing something?
(Kind disclaimer. I'm not "knocking" Mep. Just a dark SOH.) ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, many years ago my younger sister got an "Acorn"? Early 80's computer.. You used to load programs/apps using a tape recorder.. Or program your own.
She never got on with it, but I jumped at the chance of not letting it gather dust.. From memory there was a book with programs too. One of which was called "biorhythms"..

So I looked at where I was gonna be in the year 2001. (I was facinated by the sci fi movie.) the result was nothing... "Flatline". Out of the game...
Due to what I now know as a fact the clock on this computer didn't go past 1999. I was convinced at the time I was gonna die 15 years ago. I had already broken into a medical students room and read that "diabetes takes ten years off your life!" (At the age of 12/13.)

Yeah, I was a bit dumb. :rolleyes::oops:
F££k it I thought. Live what I have to the full... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having trouble working out the logic to this.. I certainly don't claim to be a mathematician.

They will work out after 5 years of controlled clinical tests to find out if the drug can increase "lifespan" by 30 or 40 years...??!!

Am I missing something?
(Kind disclaimer. I'm not "knocking" Mep. Just a dark SOH.) ;)

Yeh I thought it was funny too... but that's what they reported when they had this on the news here. It will take 5 years to get the results of the study apparently. I personally don't think anything can really be proved in that timeframe.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Apparently Metformin has been thought to increase life. They are doing trials on some elderly folk to see if this is the case. I'm sure some clever folk on here can find the link. Its been shown that diabetics on Metformin lived on average 8 yrs longer. However I don't want to live till I'm 120!.
Live to 120? Boysadear, no thanks:)

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do I want to live to 120? almost certainly not...............just to be on the safe side though, ask me again when I`m 119!

Reactions: 4 people

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It probably depends on quality of life, I'm sure if you'd asked my mother 40 years ago if she 1) thought she would live to 80 or b) would want to live to 80 she would have said no. However, at 82, she is more capable than most 60 year olds she still drives, walks faster than me is probably more healthy than me - I take her swimming every week and she does 30 lengths, goes visiting people younger than her, gets down on her hands and knees and does her garden etc. etc. Now she would like to live another 5 years to see my youngest get to 21 - as long as she stays as fit and healthy as she is now ...

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently Metformin has been thought to increase life. They are doing trials on some elderly folk to see if this is the case. I'm sure some clever folk on here can find the link. Its been shown that diabetics on Metformin lived on average 8 yrs longer. However I don't want to live till I'm 120!.

More chance of winning the lottery than living until 120. No diabetic is a supercentenrian, nothing to worry about there :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I am already about 23,356 years old. Oh no..wait,,make that 53. I have already left instructions to be banged over the head with a shovel when certain conditions are met, my sad carcass to be left in the brown bin in a black bag. Getting past 81 would be one of those conditions..unless health his close to perfect (which it will not), and I am already looking forward to a lovely big sleep. So...hell no!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
120? Hell, no. Even if I had my faculties about me, I'd prefer the next chapter, assuming there is one.

Reactions: 3 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I will opt for the 120 with a sound mind.
Unless, of course, someone can guarantee me a better option.
I am not completely bored with life yet.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, you might not have a choice. It's punishment for you, that's it you're all living to 120 whether you like it or not, government has put retirement age up to 100 to increase its income tax revenues and pay for the nhs bill :)

Reactions: 4 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!

loraine3977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets, restrictions, negative posts, poor me attitude
It probably depends on quality of life, I'm sure if you'd asked my mother 40 years ago if she 1) thought she would live to 80 or b) would want to live to 80 she would have said no. However, at 82, she is more capable than most 60 year olds she still drives, walks faster than me is probably more healthy than me - I take her swimming every week and she does 30 lengths, goes visiting people younger than her, gets down on her hands and knees and does her garden etc. etc. Now she would like to live another 5 years to see my youngest get to 21 - as long as she stays as fit and healthy as she is now ...
My Mum too is now 83. We used to think it was amazing that her father lived to 87. She is coping very well in her own home, sometimes walking her dog, going to the shops, driving and socializing. She is now about to move house, which is something I'd find daunting at my age of 62! Both Mum and I are recently diagnosed Type IIs and very similar BS levels, and although I am controlling with diet/exercise only, she is on Metformin. I am wondering if this has given her a new lease of life! Wish I was on it too!