Regular moderate exercise log

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you seen this https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos website @mekalu2k4 ? It has a great selection of free, online workouts that you can search by type/available equipment/length etc...
ok, today I finally 're-started' doing the workout along with Ms. Kelly on my laptop. Original plan was to do 10min, and then a 15 min workout from my past collections of them. Started with 10min workout, as usual Ms. Kelly proved to be too quick and strong for me. Had to stop after10min thing; could not do the second one. Instead, I switched to push ups, did some 100 [10x10] which took about 11 min. Normally I take 9 min, but today, I took 2 more minutes as Ms. Kelly made me tired.

It is very strange, to see myself going through various phases. In the past, I always was afraid of walking and running, as I was too big and my legs were weak. So, I used to do all kinds of bodyweight workouts. Now, running and walking seem to be suiting me; and am afraid of resistance workouts now. It is too much stress doing them. Kelly looks beautiful, not sensing any pain while watching her! But by next day, DOMS is setting on, my body is hurting badly. Looks like I can do only push ups and pull ups, body is set for those.

Hi all one hour of Taekwon - Do done.
I never did this type of workouts, as I was too bulky in the past. But agree these movements are not easy. 1hr? that is too much for me.

Summing up: Today 30+ min indoor exercise, 220 calories - too cheap. So, not in a mood to put up any screen. Will do one when I do something that looks up to the level.

Reactions: 2 people

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10 sets of stairs yesterday. None this morning, but plan to do a few at lunchtime.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been thinking of going back to a weekly swim - something I've not done for a good number of years. But I've got shoulder rotator cuff syndrome, and talking about this to the physio today, she suggested holding off a while yet - to stick to walking and cycling for now. Don't go making it worse before it's getting better, etc. She also said diabetics are more likely to get this injury than other people (and they don't really know why). You learn new things all the time once you're diabetic!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
shoulder rotator cuff syndrome
yes, it is a nagging problem. Not sure how many T2D folks will have, but my mom suffered with this after her blood got thick and having circulation problems. She used to have terrible pain in the mornings, as she used to sleep on her side, on her hand. Her problem worsened when she went for swimming. She had to stop swimming to prevent further injury.

There are lot many other exercises, try and see what suits. IMO, T2D folks should aim to keep moving, stay active and keep BS under limits. Once there is no issue with body, then start looking at workouts to flush some calories daily in a consistent manner.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
1Hr 20 of walking.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ok, today I did 25 minutes of cardio during lunch break and resulted in 280 calories of worth. See the pics below.
Dec0339.png
Note 1: Do not bother about 'totals' at the bottom; they are 39 total workouts in Jan 2016 month; I spent around 14+ hours so far in working out and so on and so forth.

Note 2: followed 'Safi's advise on this thread; did a workout of M. Kelly 20minutes video. Boy, it seriously hurts, had to stop after 16 minutes. But these 16 minutes worth - 169 calories. See pic below:
Dec0340.png

Average HR is 132 which is good; almost clocked 10 calories per minute - which is better than running [for me]. Strictly speaking, from the pic it is clear that I am not working out after 11 minutes. I was moving, but not at the same intensity as Kelly.

Then the second workout 'Push ups 100 Elite' - I spent about 104 calories over almost 10 minutes. I had to do this as I could not continue with Ms. Kelly.

Morale of the story [to me]:
1. Do not try to outsmart Ms. Kelly, it only hurts. Do what you can.
2. Body weight or resistance workouts yield the same, if not better results in terms of calories over same duration.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="mekalu2k4, post: 1044381, member: 171561"... Morale of the story [to me]: 1. Do not try to outsmart Ms. Kelly, it only hurts. Do what you can. ...[/QUOTE]

Interesting that was what the physio kept stressing to me about the exercises for the rotator cuff damage - stay within your own body's limits of the moment. That it's too easy to make things worse?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
stay within your own body's limits of the moment.
Yes, your physio is very much spot on. It is very important for T2D folks, to stay within the limits, injuries are worst enemies. Do not neglect shoulder injury, make sure that it heals and that you do everything towards that in a steady manner.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
very much so ^^, better to be able to exercise several times a week than injured and just once.

A "run" for me this evening, dark, head torch, offroad, slippery. Deliberately slow as rehab from the shin splints.

Also, I broke my bike :(

Need to swap turbo bikes and buy some bits. At least I get to buy bike bits:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
very much so ^^, better to be able to exercise several times a week than injured and just once.

A "run" for me this evening, dark, head torch, offroad, slippery. Deliberately slow as rehab from the shin splints.

Also, I broke my bike :(

Need to swap turbo bikes and buy some bits. At least I get to buy bike bits:)
How did you manage to break it?

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 miles walking today. I'm trying to do some of my walking a bit quicker so will see how that goes.

Reactions: 3 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
An hour of walking today. Hiit class booked for tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
rehab from the shin splints.
ooch that hurts a lot. this condition needs complete rest. I have had my share of issues - started with Plantar Fasciitis; Sciatica [both due to obesity and no activity]; shin splints and Hip Bursitis [both due to long, intense running]. I had a good neighbour who owned a gym; so he fixed me up; explained that I did not have aerobic base etc. Frankly, shin splints did not cause much pain to me, got rid of it just from resting.

Now I am free of those; but I do see pain sometimes when I gain weight or work long hours without moving; or do intense running without warming up etc.

Hope you know what do and manage your condition.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did my first long walk (over 10,000 steps) since moving flats - the packing / unpacking / sorting is nearing an end! I ended up walking far longer than planned because - as is typical of me - I planned the first part of the walk, then went on and did more because there was time, and because I thought the rest would be a lot shorter than it turned out to be!

Reactions: 4 people