'The Diabetes Miracle' by Dianne Kress - anyone else following this?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, that 5g carbs list just shows me how badly my body handles carbs.

I could eat the strawberries if drowned in either double, soured or clotted cream or creme fraiche and maybe a few blueberries. The way I eat fruit now is just to pick at black or red grapes or cherries when passing husband's fruit bowl or nab a few strawberries when I open the fridge.

I found the same.
I basically spent that 8 weeks on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, non starchy veg. Can't remember if i had berries, but probably not. I think the only starchy carbs i had were the odd small roast potato when we went out to a carvery.

I did have to give up my treats - which were lc hot choc, 2 squares of 70% choc occasionally... That kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, that 5g carbs list just shows me how badly my body handles carbs.

I could eat the strawberries if drowned in either double, soured or clotted cream or creme fraiche and maybe a few blueberries. The way I eat fruit now is just to pick at black or red grapes or cherries when passing husband's fruit bowl or nab a few strawberries when I open the fridge.
Yes- this was an 'eye-opener' for me too.

Incidentally, 80 g of grapes is 12 g Carbs!!

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I read her book soon after I was diagnosed, (having seen the tip by Brunneria on the web) and was, unfortunately too dazed and confused and unhappy about it at the time to actually DO her plan! (More's the pity! I wish I had!)

But I do remember learning a lot about the pancreas from it, and i really liked the way exercise was integrated. I started thinking about myself as a 'metabolism B' person, and learnt about the metabolism syndrome I had had for nigh on three decades - hugely helpful for me coming to terms with T2.

It was a good intro to low-carb living, especially as I was adapting to low-no sugar and lowering my carb intake at the time. And what can be wrong about "Eat to treat the root causes of diabetes." as a dictum?!

Notes I made on reading: (I include in case it helps forum-readers decide if this book and plan is for them? And for tips.)

Cress's Get Blood Sugar Control by:

Step 1: Stopping the Diabetes Train

Step 2: Reprogramming your metabolism to handle carbohydrates normally

Step 3: Maintaining great health for a lifetime

From a reader-reviewer, Lee Mellott: “Diane’s writing style is very clear and she is able to share detailed medical information, in an easy to read way. You are left with a better understanding of the disease and how it works and you are given a clear concise action plan.

The diet is a 3 step plan designed to normalize the blood sugar, put the body in fat burning mode and more. In Step 1, you detox with an 8 week "boot camp". Here you will eat a lo carb (not no carb) diet. You will eat tons of veggies, good protein and healthy fats through out the day. In Step 2, you introduce more carbs in a methodical way to keep control of the blood sugar. Step 3 is maintenance mode. In Step 3, you enjoy a greater range of carbs. This is the plan you will follow as a lifestyle plan.

The diet plan includes drinking water, taking supplements, and exercise. Exercise is a great way to keep blood sugar on an even keel and Diane, shares how to do it for the best effect.

In addition to following the plan, Diane shares how the right attitude and managing stress are important facets to a well rounded plan for managing this disease.”

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As mentioned before, i found the book interesting, useful and informative, and im really glad i did the 8 week 'boot camp'.

But she (Kress) is definitely in the low fat mindset.
- which works well, for some (maybe many) of us.
But not for me.
So if anyone is thinking of doing this, but needs to maintain a higher fat intake to ward off The Hunger and Carb Cravings, then they may need to plan in extra fat from the start. I did.

Reactions: 6 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In addition to following the plan, Diane shares how the right attitude and managing stress are important facets to a well rounded plan for managing this disease.”

Thanks so much for this useful information -and your review.

I'd be interested to know which supplements people have taken during the first 8 weeks (stage 1) I've been on Easybetic since June I'm having my Viatmin D and B levels tested on Monday next week -so will wait to see what I need. I do eat a lot of cheese and have an egg every day -so perhaps Calcium isn't necessary.

I've found a really yummy 'treat only 1.9 carbs each!! http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/03/17/sugar-free-macaroons/

Enjoy!!

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I planned for various books to arrive in orderly fashion and they turned up in 2 days so I've got 4 to read now ! If I get light bulb moments and more recipes to try that would be a in for me.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I planned for various books to arrive in orderly fashion and they turned up in 2 days so I've got 4 to read now ! If I get light bulb moments and more recipes to try that would be a in for me.

Happy reading!! - I found that I was able to spped read / skip most of the first section of the Kress book as it was quite repetitive and full of case studies (interesting if you have time). The plan starts in Part two (page 113) with an introduction to the 'Diabetes Miracle Plan' - and I did read this through twice and marked any relevant sections /pages.

Do let us know how you get on!!
T x

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for the encouragement.

I've already noticed that my weight loss has started again after a time of 'standing still' -so must remember to take some baseline body measurements as well.

I thought it would be helpful to share some of my fruit 'discoveries' for the 5g (or below) net carbs - and I'm always careful to weigh everything!!

Kiwi - weight 55g - Carbs 5g
Raspberries- weight 80g - Carbs 4g
Strawberries- weight 80g - Carbs 5g
Clementine - weight 80g - Carbs 5g
Figs - weight 55g - Carbs 5g
Apricots (fresh) weight 55g - Carbs 4g
half an Apple - weight 45g - Carbs 5g
Blackberries -weight 80g - Carbs 4g
small Orange -weight 70g - Carbs 4g
half a Peach - weight 70g - Carbs 5g
Melon - weight 80g - Carbs 5g
a third of a banana - weight 32g - Carbs 5g

I was surprised at how many carbs there are in some fruits, and to think that I was eating at least 4 -5 portions per day when first diagnosed -stewed aple, peaches, pears, apples, necatrines, mango, grapes and loads of berries!!

Who would like to start a 'sweet treat' 5g or lower Carb list (if such things exist)?
You could try these peanut butter fudge bars: http://www.ruled.me/keto-peanut-butter-fudge-bars/ which are delicious (IMO) and apparently only 3.3g. You could divide the recipe into more than 8 pieces for less carbs. The difficulty is trying not to eat the whole lot in 1 go!

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try these peanut butter fudge bars: http://www.ruled.me/keto-peanut-butter-fudge-bars/ which are delicious (IMO) and apparently only 3.3g. You could divide the recipe into more than 8 pieces for less carbs. The difficulty is trying not to eat the whole lot in 1 go!
Thanks so much for this link - they look yummy!!!! - and I'm not sure I could restrict myself to just one!!
But I'm thinking ahead to Christmas and what I can make for 'treats'..... and these will definitely be on the list.
T x

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so been reading the book and I really feel for Dianne Kress. She was eating the low fat diet, exercising, and working as a diabetes educator. To develop T2DM herself must have been an ordeal to overcome. From the author photo she looks happy and healthy now though.

The five hour liver thing intrigues me. Mine likes to dump very early so I've gotten into the habit of eating cream fraiche or clotted cream before sleeping. Both are high fat, low carb and low protein and seem to hoodwink my liver into foregoing the dump. However, it doesn't dump during the day, seemingly. I may play around with the five hour thing.

Whether I have a lack of stomach enzymes for them or an actual intolerance to processed carbs, I don't know. But it looks increasingly unlikely that I could manage the 5g carb treats unless they were veg, fruit or dairy - let alone, upping carbs.

The book does have some good info so I'm not going to slate it. However, I think it more useful for newbies. It just didn't have the recipes I wanted either.

So a 3/5 from me.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Yes, I did the full 8 weeks on it. Around a year ago.
I found it was absolutely fantastic in keeping my blood glucose to normal levels, and because I tested consistently throughout, it was very useful in teaching me exactly what foods, when, and in what quantities would send my BG too high.

The other thing it taught me was that I am intolerant of grains, any grain, in any form. That was a big disappointment, but useful to know. Cress tells you that you can eat 5g of carbs with every meal and as a snack, and she positively encourages you to do this. Every time I took my 5g as a grain, my bg shot up. If I took it as potato, or chia, or parnsip, or other non-grain, my bg stayed down. So I have been mainly grain free ever since (with the odd treat and exception. and every time, up my bg goes to silly numbers and takes about 5 hours to return to base)

Very glad that I did it.

But (there is always one, isn't there?) she predicts massive weight loss. That didn't happen for me. I was doing higher fat than she recommends, but I was certainly at, or below the carb levels she recommends. I had been gently and slowly losing weight for about 6 months on very low carb before starting Cress' stage 1. That weight loss slowed even more. By the end of the 8 weeks I had lost only 3 pounds, I think. Where she had expected me to lose probably 10x that.

I suspect this was because much of her predicted weight loss would have been the glycogen reserves and fluid that I had already shed, and because I was higher fatting. Your experience may be very different.

At the end of the 8 weeks, you are supposed to go onto stage 2. Tried it. Persisted. found that I was adding fluid back, and my bgs shot up again.

Again, your experience may be different.

But basically because of my particular combination of hormone issues, including PCOS, massive insulin resistance, RH and type 2, it seems that 20-40g of carbs a day is the most my body can cope with without weight gain (and well under 20g to lose). I sort of knew that before starting Cress's stage 1, so it wasn't a surprise. Many people can tolerate a lot more, so please don't let that put you off.

I've read that Ceylon Cinnamon & Chromium are good for PCOS and I know it is good for Blood Sugar levels - you should maybe give Easybetic a go (from the diabetes.co.uk shop)?