Fixbyprincess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter
Loud people
My dad has type 1 so do I. Dad been diabetic 53 years.
He's been diagnosed with kidney disease has nerve damage and retinopathy. For the last five years he has suffered with what he describes as a head cold. He is often sick with catarrh and has no appetite. He has lost a lot of weight. Over the last couple of years he has managed to stabilise his blood sugars and has been put back on Ramipril to protect his kidneys.Today the renal doc did a blood test for prostrate cancer. My dad has a scab on his left hip bone it has been there two years and won't heal he also has immense pain in his left hip. He smokes and drinks.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry to hear about all your dads problems @Fixbyprincess

Ramipril is often prescribed to protect the kidneys, it should also help with the retinopathy issues as keeping bp lower is important along with good bg and cholesterol control, he needs to stop smoking and reduce his alcohol intake (if he does drinks a lot) as this won't help matters.

Reactions: 4 people

Fixbyprincess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter
Loud people
Thank you we've expressed our feelings about the smoking and drinking and he does realise the risks. Think he sees it as his only enjoyment in life, very negative about diabetes.
Just concerned about the cancer scare, scab and hip pain?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sorry to hear about all your dads problems @Fixbyprincess

Ramipril is often prescribed to protect the kidneys, it should also help with the retinopathy issues as keeping bp lower is important along with good bg and cholesterol control, he needs to stop smoking and reduce his alcohol intake (if he does drinks a lot) as this won't help matters.
I've been taking Ramipril 10 mg for years now for diabetic kidney disease and has stabilized it from progressing any further for the moment so there is hope on this front. :)

Fixbyprincess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter
Loud people
Thank you all for kind words X dad now home after three trips to a and e, last one on his birthday! Discharged with ckd heart failure high potassium and fluid on the heart and lungs. Angiogram revealed nothing can be done to help but good control and meds.
Look after yourself peeps X diabetes will bite back hard xx