Testing blood from a family member who isn't diabetic

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I test my blood once a day everyday and regularly I test the wife as a comparison I wonder if othe people do that it gives me a good idea especially if I'm feeling low

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested my husband occasionally to make sure my meter was working right. Found out he might have a little HR!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I test my blood once a day everyday and regularly I test the wife as a comparison I wonder if othe people do that it gives me a good idea especially if I'm feeling low

So..you stick needles in the wife's fingers to give you a lift? Go for it. I like to hold my wife's nose while she sleeps just to freak her out! Sorry - only joking. I have on occasion tested my wife to see if my machine is working properly, but it never raises my spirits as she could eat a big bowl of cornflakes and still have a reading of around 5.2.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I want to put a Freestyle Libre sensor on my significant other, but she is not interested.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter occasionally asks me to test her. Not a bad idea, since she is from the same genetic line as I am- even though she is about 30 years younger than the youngest diagnosis. So far she's normal, but I won't discourage her curiosity!

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Forgive my ignorance but if you test some one else's blood with your meter wont that throw off recorded data and average readings?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Forgive my ignorance but if you test some one else's blood with your meter wont that throw off recorded data and average readings?
Yes, if you are using the machine's software to calculate averages.

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
No cos I don't do averages and I'll feel testing my missus occasionally is the way forward for me @ the moment but this might change one day

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife will happily test herself ... Just to show me that my bs is higher .. But reasentley my bs is the same or lower than hers ....

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on the meter. I have the ability to mark any reading "control" directly on my meter. I also import my data into a computer app, where I can hide it entirely (even if it is not marked as a control reading). Since my meter loses data once it hits 30 days out, I always go by the computer app anyway since it is more complete.

(On a previous meter, the coding was automatic - below a certain level was marked control automatically. In that case, it would have messed up my data - to the extent I rely on the data on my meter..)