Any tips?

nskelton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since joining uni I haven't been playing any badminton or football at the competitive level I was before regularly so have had to turn to attending the gym more regularly.

Ive tended to stay away from resistance training due to hypos in the past and a preference for cardio in general however this week I've done 3 sessions of resistance training and despite 2 of them consuming 30g carbs before and having a diluted lucozade for both I still managed to hypo post exercise and the third one hypoing mid sessions. I don't know whether it's just a case of predicting the exercise and backing off my insulin (would sound reasonable) or whatever. I have seen people discussing a rise in BG during resistance training but this doesn't happen to me and from a view I have discussed with others at my uni and possibly suggested isolating muscles in sessions so the demand for glucose at any one point isn't too much.

What do you suggest? Difference is when I do cardio in other sessions and then some abs work after I don't tend to hypo??

Reactions: 2 people

amym06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not sure if this will be any help but I also used to suffer with hypos during and after exercise - often affected me for the whole day - my advice would definitely be to reduce the amount of insulin you give for the last meal before you exercise and then to also reduce it the rest of the day as your body is still feeling the effects of the exercise.

Depending on what meter you have you can use the exercise 'health event' which you can set to lower your insulin dose by a chosen percentage. For example I use the Aviva Expert meter and use the exercise health event on days that I go to the gym which automatically reduces my calculated insulin dose by 20%. I use this for the meal I have prior to the gym and then continue to use it for the rest of the day after I have exercised as otherwise I notice that I can hypo easily too.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try to exercise first thing in the morning - not always practical, I know - because I find the more insulin in me over the course of the day, even if my sugars are stable, always sends me crashing if I exercise.

Like @amym06 I program a health event - for me it's of 50% of my breakfast bolus for my porridge before swimming, and that's always fine, no hypos, but exercising at other times of day isn't as effectively programmable for me - especially if any exercise decisions are spontaneous rather than preplanned!

Like you @nskelton I need to get this sorted, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.