Very worried about ketosis

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello!

My normal diet was always with tons of carbs.

Last year, I decided first time to go into ketosis. It took me 1 week and I started having all the ketosis symptoms. After that, my appetite almost disappeared.

For some reasons, I stopped my low carb diet and started again eating tons of carbs. Now I wanted again to get into ketosis. I started since January limiting my carbs, but I did indulged into my carb cravings and I had every day one sweet, while I didn't eat much carbs with my meals. Last week, I started proper low carb and I stopped eating sweets. It's more than a week and I only noticed slight keto breath for an hour in 2 days. Apart from that, nothing.

I am really worried. Have I impaired my ability to get into ketosis? Has my body adjusted in low carb + 1 sweet per day and it's harder to switch fully into ketosis? Do I do something wrong? Do I need to purely diminish my carbs? But I do eat the things that I ate when I first tried ketosis. Yet I cannot get into ketosis!

Any help please?

thanks!

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have the same problem. I eat small amount of dark chocolate daily. i am over weight as well. Started on 16:8 hrs fasting. Went off the rails today. If I am successful I will let you know. Some one more knowlegeable than me will be able answer your query. According to theory if you reduce carbs and increase fat intake you should go into ketosis. What is your Carb intake?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat in the morning one Protobun which says it has 4.2g net carbs.
I also drink coffee with 2 half creams single portions.

Then I eat for lunch meat and salad.

In the evening I may eat another Protobun or some macadamia.

At dinner, I eat a whole 150g salami.

I also drink 1 diet coke everyday.

The truth is I may eat for dinner a pizza without the bread (maybe the salsa has some carbs? but it's less than 10% I asked and the amount is miniscule). I may also eat donner kebab and some humous. I know humus has carbs, but only 7%! And I eat less than 50g. Maybe the donner kebab has sugars? I really doubt.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you asking? Plenty of people bounce in and out of ketosis, myself included.

You eat a pizza for dinner but without the bread? So you eat cheese and tomato sauce? And yes, tomato sauce has carbs in it.

It sounds like you're eating too many carbs and gauging how your breath smells isn't a very accurate way to measure whether or not your in ketosis.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As far as I know you can go into ketosis and stay there without any outward signs.
You can test your urine using Ketostix but lack of ketones does not mean that you are not in ketosis.
If you are in a balanced state of ketosis your body uses all the ketones for fuel. Only if you produce too many ketones will you see them in your urine.
The only way to know is to test your blood for ketones - finger prick like BG testing but the meter and the test strips are more expensive..

As mentioned in other threads, too much protein can also take you out of ketosis because some of it can be processed into glucose. So I think you need to go low carb, medium protein and high fat. I don't see much fat in your diet (why the half cream and not full cream?) so you are probably not really on a ketogenic diet if you are overdosing on protein but not eating much fat.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
half cream because the stupid restaurant at work has everything low fat, as many idiot workers asked for low fat stuff, so they have light mayo (ridiculously sweet and awful), light cream, light milk, even light bacon (minimal fat) and it would be a deed to convince them to go full fat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Start your day with bullet proof coffee which has butter, cream, and coconut oil as well as coffee. That is definitely high fat.

If, like me, you dislike the taste of coconut you can try bullet resistant coffee with butter, full cream and coffee. I am sadly addicted to this.

Edit: you could always take your full cream in with you, and smuggle other satisfyingly full fat items in as well.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I searched all the web to find full fat single portions of cream for my coffee...
and I bought cocoa butter hoping that it will melt easier in my coffee