Family of Type 1 diabetics

Sharonwarrior

Hello my name is Sharon and I live in New Zealand. My husband is a Type 1 diabetic and has been for about 35 years. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed 5 years ago, one son is 11years old and was diagnosed 1 year ago and my other son is 7 years old and has just recently been diagnosed. Things are a little crazy but the hospital and schools offer amazing support.

As the only non diabetic in my family I don't know what its like to feel 'low' or feel 'high' and the constant struggle to have a good blood glucose reading. I admire the members of my family because they dont let diabetes define them, its just a part of there lives and it doesn't stop them doing anything.

I would like to know if there are any other families like mine out there?

Sharon

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
wow, that's astonishing, the dodgy gene must be strong in your husband.....well, that's just a complete guess, i don't know how it works...ha ha...

my younger brother was diagnosed when he was 2 years old, I followed him many years later when I was 15....so dont know how or why it happened to either of us or why the big space between diagnosis.....

as i was later he had to deal with it all on his own unfortunately.....but my mum and dad did a good job.....i was 15 so took control of it all on my own from the beginning without any issues......

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sharon

Jeez you have got it rough. Just wanted to say Hi from a pom back in the UK after spending many years in the city of sails. Where do you live in NZ? Take care my dear and look after all the sugar dodgers you seem to have☺ it must be very rare to have as many in your family as you do.
I often wonder about my family because I am the only T1 but my mum was adopted and we know nothing about her original family so there could be loads. Has anyone asked to do research on you all?

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
I'm the other way round I'm only diabetic in my whole family

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sharon
I'm from the UK but moved to Galicia,Spain 5 years ago with my wife and daughter at the time. Closely followef the birth of our son who is my hero and keeps me going. I was diagnosed 2 years ago this month which was a shock as there is no diabetes at all in my family. Then in June my son just turned 15months(now 3years old) was also diagnosed as type 1. So from nothing to alot in 5months.
Keep up the good work I'm sure your family are forever greatful for all that you do.
Steve

Reactions: 2 people

Sharonwarrior

wow, that's astonishing, the dodgy gene must be strong in your husband.....well, that's just a complete guess, i don't know how it works...ha ha...

my younger brother was diagnosed when he was 2 years old, I followed him many years later when I was 15....so dont know how or why it happened to either of us or why the big space between diagnosis.....

as i was later he had to deal with it all on his own unfortunately.....but my mum and dad did a good job.....i was 15 so took control of it all on my own from the beginning without any issues......

Yes a dodgy gene indeed!! I imagine being diagnosed when you were 15 would have been a lot to deal with - although I guess any age there is alot to deal with . Do you think there is a special bond between you and your brother because you are both diabetic?

Sharonwarrior

Hi Sharon
I'm from the UK but moved to Galicia,Spain 5 years ago with my wife and daughter at the time. Closely followef the birth of our son who is my hero and keeps me going. I was diagnosed 2 years ago this month which was a shock as there is no diabetes at all in my family. Then in June my son just turned 15months(now 3years old) was also diagnosed as type 1. So from nothing to alot in 5months.
Keep up the good work I'm sure your family are forever greatful for all that you do.
Steve
Wow you have had a lot to deal with and get used to. Its lovely your son is your hero:)
My husband also had no diabetes in his family so if was a shock for his family when he was diagnosed at 6. So strange how it can come from no where in some families yet be so prominent in others. I hope for you and your son that its all going well:)

Sharonwarrior

Hi Sharon

Jeez you have got it rough. Just wanted to say Hi from a pom back in the UK after spending many years in the city of sails. Where do you live in NZ? Take care my dear and look after all the sugar dodgers you seem to have☺ it must be very rare to have as many in your family as you do.
I often wonder about my family because I am the only T1 but my mum was adopted and we know nothing about her original family so there could be loads. Has anyone asked to do research on you all?
Hello we live in Wellington. Auckland is a fantastic city though:)
No request for any research at this stage but we do seem to have a rather large number of type 1's under the same roof.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is super rough... Things like this make me a bit scared of having a family, but wont let it stop me lol

Perhaps I can help you a bit in the 'understanding'. My sister was diagnosed T1D when she was 4, so i grew up with her as the only diabetic my whole life and we never really discussed it and i had no idea what she was going through.
I always figured she had 'an attitude problem' lol
Having mood swings, being irritable and moody a lot of the time - it never occured to me that it was related to blood sugars.

Fast forward 25 years and i was diagnosed as T1D and it suddenly made sense. The impact of being low and high, even mildly, take A LOT of focus and energy to tame.
Especially being high - when someone has high sugars (for me its anything about 7.5 i start to feel, and anything above 10 i might as well just be alone) they begin to feel just off. Its very hard to describe but for me its sort of a tingle / fuzzyness / foggyness in my brain and sort of a restlessness / annoyance throughout the rest of my body. In short, its mildly terrible, making any small annoyance just to much to handle without a lot of focus and energy. When they get too high a headache and neck tension form.

I mention highs mostly because people think "oh i would rather be high then low" but being out of the normal range really does impact your daily life and attitude, and really shapes peoples perception of you - especially if you are always moody and irritable..

I can't imagine dealing with this as a child, or a teenager, but as a mother and wife just know that if you find short tempers, or feel they are being irritable and short with you - its likely not you, and you shouldn't take it personal (but to be honest, its just a little you, they just dont have the energy or spare capacity to mask themselves and handle it properly - Imagine it like a big factory and suddenly alarms start going off and workers start running around and yelling - working hard to keep things in line - and you stroll in and grab someone by the arm who is running by and happily ask "Things look crazy - is everything ok?" lol Clearly they are not okay and you cant be angry if that worker bluntly says "No, are you kidding? what does it look like!" and runs off - the factory is a T1Ds mind and body when High/Low - so they don't INTEND to be mean they just have so much else to deal with but also did you need to ask THAT question at THAT moment? Just keep that factory imagery in mind and tailor your interaction based on how you think you should act that situation at that time lol)

/rant

Sorry for the length lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I know of a single female parent who has 4 children and 3 of the children, one girl and two boys, have type 1 diabetes. She has just been signed off work for 2 weeks, she is a teacher, because it is all getting a little on top of her, up during the night with the children, working and planning lessons for the next day, I do feel for her and you and your family too, take care of yourself and all the very best:).
RRB

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Myself, my brother, sister, daughter and 2 cousins are all diabetic as well.

The girls were all diagnosed under 5yrs and the boys were all in their teens.

Sharonwarrior

That is super rough... Things like this make me a bit scared of having a family, but wont let it stop me lol

Perhaps I can help you a bit in the 'understanding'. My sister was diagnosed T1D when she was 4, so i grew up with her as the only diabetic my whole life and we never really discussed it and i had no idea what she was going through.
Having mood swings, being irritable and moody a lot of the time - it never occured to me that it was related to blood sugars.

Fast forward 25 years and i was diagnosed as T1D and it suddenly made sense. The impact of being low and high, even mildly, take A LOT of focus and energy to tame.
Especially being high - when someone has high sugars (for me its anything about 7.5 i start to feel, and anything above 10 i might as well just be alone) they begin to feel just off. Its very hard to describe but for me its sort of a tingle / fuzzyness / foggyness in my brain and sort of a restlessness / annoyance throughout the rest of my body. In short, its mildly terrible, making any small annoyance just to much to handle without a lot of focus and energy. When they get too high a headache and neck tension form.

I mention highs mostly because people think "oh i would rather be high then low" but being out of the normal range really does impact your daily life and attitude, and really shapes peoples perception of you - especially if you are always moody and irritable..

I can't imagine dealing with this as a child, or a teenager, but as a mother and wife just know that if you find short tempers, or feel they are being irritable and short with you - its likely not you, and you shouldn't take it personal (but to be honest, its just a little you, they just dont have the energy or spare capacity to mask themselves and handle it properly - Imagine it like a big factory and suddenly alarms start going off and workers start running around and yelling - working hard to keep things in line - and you stroll in and grab someone by the arm who is running by and happily ask "Things look crazy - is everything ok?" lol Clearly they are not okay and you cant be angry if that worker bluntly says "No, are you kidding? what does it look like!" and runs off - the factory is a T1Ds mind and body when High/Low - so they don't INTEND to be mean they just have so much else to deal with but also did you need to ask THAT question at THAT moment? Just keep that factory imagery in mind and tailor your interaction based on how you think you should act that situation at that time lol)

/rant

Sorry for the length lol

/rant

Sorry for the length lol
Thanks so much for your reply. What a fantastic way of describing what the kids are going through. It can be very over whelming at times but the kids are amazing. We are yet to hit the teenage years and I am bracing myself for that!! The support at the hospital and school is great. Thanks again:)

Sharonwarrior

Hi, I know of a single female parent who has 4 children and 3 of the children, one girl and two boys, have type 1 diabetes. She has just been signed off work for 2 weeks, she is a teacher, because it is all getting a little on top of her, up during the night with the children, working and planning lessons for the next day, I do feel for her and you and your family too, take care of yourself and all the very best:).
RRB
Wow I do hope your friend has a lot of support around her. Thats a lot to handle on your own.