HEALTHY SAUTÉED VEGETABLES WITH RICE

kallylondon

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snakes
As you know my grandmother is a type 2 diabetic and my mom and I care for and provide her daily meals.
This is a healthy recipe my mom made for her recently.

Ingredients
  1. 1- cup rice of your choice
  2. 1- cup finely chopped spinach or bok choy
  3. ½ cubed green bell pepper
  4. ½- cubed red bell pepper
  5. ½- cubed yellow, orange bell peppers (optional)
  6. 1- finely cubed medium carrot
  7. ½ cup pumpkin or squash finely chopped
  8. ¼ cup raisins
  9. 2= tablespoon of olive oil or canola or any vegetable oil of your choice
  10. dash of sea salt to taste
  11. dash of pepper (optional)
  12. 4 small pegs of finely chopped garlic
  13. 1 medium onion finely chopped
  14. ½ teaspoon ginger (powder or raw finely chopped)
  15. ½ teaspoon five spice or cinnamon powder
Instructions
  1. -First place the cup of rice to boil, this should take approximately 16-18 minutes.
  2. -While your rice is boiling you can now prepare your vegetables (Wash and Chopp them), this should take approximately 15 mins depending on how fast you work.
  3. -Now put your pot on a medium heat and when the oil is hot add the vegetable and Saute` the vegetables until they are tender (not too soft and not too hard) this should also take 15-20 mins.
  4. -Then add your seasoning salt ,pepper and you can also add a dash of turmeric powder (saffron).
  5. Now add your rice when the vegetables are ready, taste it to make sure it is what you desire.
  6. -You can now eat and enjoy.
Notes
  1. Remember when you are cooking for yourself you can add or subtract ingredients as you see fit. Let your creativity shine through, be adventurous with your meal preparations. The ginger and cinnamon are the compulsory ingredients even if you do not have the others.

Reactions: 2 people

kallylondon

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snakes
Hi, the vegetable part of your recipe sounds yummy, but since I am diabetic, I would use only half the onion, skip the raisins and never have it with a cup of rice.
I agree with you especially for the rice because the glycemic index of rice is really high compared to others foods.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Galja
Noted, but might be worth trying with cauliflower "rice" and remember some squashes are higher carb than others!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people