How much insulin

martina

Hi, My daughter gets a bolus of 9.3 units with her breakfast if her bg's are in target range. I know how to change how much of a correction the pump gives but is the correction factor also responsible for giving less.? My daughter was 7.8 yesterday morning before breakfast and the pump gave 9.5 units, obviously 0.2 of a correction and her blood sugar at the mid morning check she was 5.8. This morning she was 6.3 and the pump (accuc chek combo) gave 9.0 units and mid morning check was 9.6, she could have done with a little more here. That's my question, this morning as it was a lower level the pump took 0.3 of a unit off. How can I change what it decides to take off? Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The built in bolus wizards/calculators work out how much insulin to give based on your bg target range in the settings, so it will increase/decrease the bolus dose going from your pre-prandial bg reading.

You can manually adjust the bolus dose (well you can on the Omnipod) if your confident that the bolus dose may be wrong.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The correction factor is used to work out how much insulin should be added or subtracted. If you notice your daughter consistently going high/low after a correction, you should change the correction factor. - Maybe you should have a wee chat with your daughter's DSN.

martina

This morning my daughter woke with a level of 6.3 and the pump gave 8.9 units, however yesterday on waking she was the same 6.3 and it gave 9.0, not that it will make a difference, I'm just keen to know why it did this. No overnight corrections on either night and both in the same timeblock and same number of carbs for breakfast. Anyone else ever noticed this .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think you may need to provide a little more information, e.g. How you arrived at the bolus dose, what pump you are using, etc. It's difficult to answer the question without knowing what the situation is.

martina

Hi, she has the accuc chek combo pump. Her carb ratio in the morning is 1-6 and she has 56 grams of carbs each morning. So I punched into the monitor 56 grams and it said 8.9 units to be given. If her bg is within normal range she gets 9.3 units, obviously it was going to give less at 6.3, I was just wondering why it gave 8.9 today and 9.0 yesterday. Basals are different on a weekend and so is correction factor but don't think that would make the difference. Just makes you wonder

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use any bolus wizards as I just calculate the dose myself, so I can't comment on that, but if you feel her settings need adjusting then maybe make a few notes about any issues and give her DSN a call? ( you'd mentioned a higher than desired spike on another thread, I think?)

iHs

@martina

On the Combo bg meter, what bg targets have you selected for all the Time Slots in the Settings menu as that will affect how much insulin thè bolus wizard calculates.

Also as there is no IOB on the Combo, you mayy like to use ManageBGL app to enter carb ratios and basal doses and then use PredictBGL to guide How much carb would need to be eaten to use up any IOB and to prevent a bg going below the desired target range

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If her bg is within normal range she gets 9.3 units, obviously it was going to give less at 6.3
This is an aside, but you know that 6.3 IS within normal range, don't you?