New Diagnosed Type 2

Babymoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. I'm new here and also have just been diagnosed. I'm really confused about what I can and can't eat or drink and I constantly crave sugar. Is that normal?
I would also like to know if too much sugar can actually cause diabetes?
I have Autism so it makes understanding the diagnosis and everything about it difficult for me. I got my diagnosis after I want to hospital with severe stomach pain and my sugar level was 21.
I really really crave sugar too and don't know how I will give it up :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi everyone. I'm new here and also have just been diagnosed. I'm really confused about what I can and can't eat or drink and I constantly crave sugar. Is that normal?

Thanks. C xx;):angelic:

No sugars, no starches, no fizzy drinks but what you can eat by way of choices is massive. Wait for the pack to arrive, read it well and perform a forum search for diets

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Interesting, -what happened to this thread? Where did Liam's post go?

@daisy1

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Babymoon and welcome to the forum. It is difficult for all of us when we first get that diagnosis, and takes a bit of time to get your head around everything, but there is a lot of good advice and support on here.
Diabetes can be a result of many factors including diet, weight and genetics, and might be a result of eating too much sugar, but the sugar craving might also be a result of diabetes from what I understand.
You are going to have to cut out sugar as much as possible. But carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta turn to sugar in our bodies so you need to avoid or limit these too.
Many of us on this forum, including me, have adopted a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating which has helped us reduce our Blood Sugar levels.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Welcome Babymoon
I have found this is a great forum. If you have any questions at all (don't worry if you think they are silly) ask them. Posters will answer them and others will also learn from the answers

Reactions: 3 people

Babymoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone. I am just trying to understand everything about diabetes as is all new to me and I've bought a book diabetes for dummies and it's a very good book and you can buy on Amazon. I think it will be good for new diagnosed people like me :) :) :)

Babymoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm addicted to coke and Pepsi and I hate water and don't like diet drinks so not sure what to have :(

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Babymoon - That's one of the books I have and it is informative. You simply cannot learn everything about Diabetes in the beginning. I have had Type 2 for nearly 16 years and I learn something new all the time, especially since being a member on this forum since 2014. Everybody is so helpful, friendly, supportive towards each other. Just take it all in your stride. Try not to worry - worry causes cortisol to be released and this causes blood sugars to rise.:)William.

Reactions: 2 people

Babymoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you :) I should be worried more about in case it turns to type one because I am addicted to sugar. I have Autism and my support worker and carer is also a nutritionalist so she's going to help me too with eating and drinking things for the diabetes. I like this forum too and I am learning how to use it at the moment and I use it from my phone :) :) :)

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm addicted to coke and Pepsi and I hate water and don't like diet drinks so not sure what to have :(
I avoid all fizzy sugary drinks now, and generally stick to water, coffee and tea. But I did have a Coke Zero recently which is 'sugar free'. I don't know whether it is ok for diabetics, but I expect others on here can advise you.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Babymoon, Welcome to this site stay with us, we are all a friendly bunch. Ask anything you like and someone will answer you. I was a sugar addict too now I am used to no sugar. Some on this site do use the sweeteners but be careful which ones you buy. I eat plums, pears, raspberries, and melon which are fine with me, others can not have fruit or some fruits. The answer is in keep testing your BG levels. Explore the forums and you will get lots of knowledge from it I'm sure, the best thing I can say to you is as time goes on you will get better at controlling your Diabetes believe me everyone here will tell you that although you may not think this at this time but you will. :):):)