Newly Diagnosed T2...learning a lot!

jillylane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 53, and was just diagnosed with Type 2 last week. My A1C was 7.1%. Got my glucose meter a few days ago (OneTouch Verio Sync). And took my first dose of Metformin last night with dinner.

What I've noticed so far is that my postprandial readings, even before the Metformin, were in the normal range. But my fasting reading, first thing in the morning, has been high. In the 180s.

I have totally changed my diet this week. I am eating mostly veggies and lean protein, with some fruit and a little dairy. I haven't had any grains at all. I am currently about 50 pounds overweight, and in the past week I have lost about 4 pounds.

I am very motivated to get this under control by losing weight, keeping up with the healthy eating, and exercising. I follow up with my doctor at the end of February, and my goal is for her to be wowed by the changes I've made. :)

Very happy to have discovered this place. There's all kinds of good information here, I see.

Reactions: 12 people

Jacfburcham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago so I know exactly how you feel by BG was 19.6 I have lost 15kg in 7 weeks and BG down to average of 6.5, I cut out all carbs except what is in veg, no bread, rice, pasta, or bread. Just introducing lydl protein rolls which are low carb. Will all the info available on site I am sure you will succeed.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @jillylane and welcome to the forum. Well done on your weight loss, I am sure it will also mean you are reducing your blood sugar levels.
The high readings in the mornings might be due to 'Dawn Phenomenom' from what others have said on this forum. Apparently your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream when you wake to give you an energy boost as you get going for the day.
From what I have gathered this will decrease as your liver's stored glucose decreases. At least I think that's the case though I'm sure more experienced people will correct me if I am wrong.

@Jacfburcham Well done on your BG and weight reductions too!

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I'm 53, and was just diagnosed with Type 2 last week. My A1C was 7.1%. Got my glucose meter a few days ago (OneTouch Verio Sync). And took my first dose of Metformin last night with dinner.

What I've noticed so far is that my postprandial readings, even before the Metformin, were in the normal range. But my fasting reading, first thing in the morning, has been high. In the 180s.

I have totally changed my diet this week. I am eating mostly veggies and lean protein, with some fruit and a little dairy. I haven't had any grains at all. I am currently about 50 pounds overweight, and in the past week I have lost about 4 pounds.

I am very motivated to get this under control by losing weight, keeping up with the healthy eating, and exercising. I follow up with my doctor at the end of February, and my goal is for her to be wowed by the changes I've made. :)

Very happy to have discovered this place. There's all kinds of good information here, I see.
Well done, :):) jillylane keep up the good work and stick with us.

Reactions: 4 people