Winter Keepy Uppies Type 2.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Motivation isn't great, haven't felt "right" and my mood has been pretty low. I pushed myself to go out today, just a short walk down on the beach, only ten minutes. Pain in my hips as I was walking was bad, so didn't push myself. @Pipp, I finished my treatment nearly two years ago, but as a consequence (it's a particularly aggressive one), the ligaments in my hips and thighs are tightened and cause pain. Like so many things connected with cancer, these after effects aren't given much attention as the cure is seen as the aim, once that has been attained, you're on your own. I know that others who have had this treatment have all seemed to have the same issues in varying degrees. I try and avoid doctors like the plague! lol. Blisters all better, and yes, I'll not overdo it like that again!:D
Well done on moving in whatever way you can folks, sorry that this knee problem is getting you down @Jamrox, really hope you feel better soon x

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ladybird64 . Wow you did well to go for a walk when you really weren't feeling so good. I hope you will feel a bit brighter soon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Motivation isn't great, haven't felt "right" and my mood has been pretty low. I pushed myself to go out today, just a short walk down on the beach, only ten minutes. Pain in my hips as I was walking was bad, so didn't push myself. @Pipp, I finished my treatment nearly two years ago, but as a consequence (it's a particularly aggressive one), the ligaments in my hips and thighs are tightened and cause pain. Like so many things connected with cancer, these after effects aren't given much attention as the cure is seen as the aim, once that has been attained, you're on your own. I know that others who have had this treatment have all seemed to have the same issues in varying degrees. I try and avoid doctors like the plague! lol. Blisters all better, and yes, I'll not overdo it like that again!:D
Well done on moving in whatever way you can folks, sorry that this knee problem is getting you down @Jamrox, really hope you feel better soon x
Is walking on the beach difficult @ladybird64 ? Sand or pebbles? I always feel invigorated walking by the sea.
Note to self: soon as we have a fine day, head for the seaside.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I did manage a little dance last night and today I'm determined to walk around my house for 10minutes every hour until bed time . Not the best but an improvement on the week.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A walk round shops to stock up on healthy grub.
A lot of toing and froing around the garden to peg up 6 machine loads of laundry. Hurrah for blue skies and gentle breeze.
A dinner with family, then I will treat myself to a bit of exercise using new vacuum cleaner. Wow, I have an exciting life.

Tomorrow....Back to the swimming pool for the first time this year. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I too have been shopping for healthy food , go us Pipp we will control this lol.

Oh how I wish the sun was shining here fed up with this weather.
Anyway had a raked and limped around , Aldi , TK Max, Brantano, and Pound stretchers , see I too have an exciting life haha.
Now where's my salad .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spoke too soon. Storm Imogen is on the way, but at least I got laundry dry without needing the tumble drier.
Yes, go us, @Jamrox, and anyone else needing a bit of a lift.
Eating properly and keeping moving really does work. 'Properly' is of course, open to interpretation, but you and I know what works for us, just sometimes get a bit sidetracked. I have been trying to keep moving but have been a bit casual about eating this last few months, and you have, once again, inspired me to take stock and take action. Thank you.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Aw thanks Pipp , we do support each other . I get just as much from the support and encouragement .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was going to hobble along Prestwick shore but it started raining and my knee was sore so I walked 10 minutes around the shop and came home

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to hobble along Prestwick shore but it started raining and my knee was sore so I walked 10 minutes around the shop and came home
Oh dear, @Jamrox. Seems that you do need to rest that knee a bit. Now, what other alternative activities can you think of? How about some chair based? Try some bicep curls holding 500ml bottles of water.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gentle swim for 20 mins, then an hour of intense aquafit. Exhausted!
Think absence from water for so long is going to mean a gentle reintroduction.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. 45 minutes swimming today. Swam the equivalent of 30 lengths. Well done everybody. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Pipp I have my little weights so I'll use them .

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aquafit for one hour, cool down was ten minute gentle swim.
I want to avoid a repeat of yesterday, which had me fall asleep for 2 hours after the exercise, so as it is nice and sunny today I will take a broom and sweep the paths of debris from yesterday's stormy weather. Then I may even venture out to buy some new swim kit, because I am worthy of the reward.;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Pipp and @Jamrox . I did the equivalent of 27 lengths in 40 minutes.
Good work, @mo53 .
When you say 27 lengths what distance is a length? My favourite pool is 18 metres, makes it difficult for me to calculate total distance quickly. That pool has been around since some time in 1800s so guess they didn't do metric then. Not that I am managing many lengths these days. I find aquafit exercise easier for some strange reason.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
You are all putting me to shame . I hobbled around Ayr shops for a couple of hours . Had a coffee ( no cake ) and came home .
Promise I will catch up with you soon .

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, today was a bit of a washout. Blisters weeping so decided not to do the mile walk to dentist, I didn't feel to great to be honest. This afternoon I felt completely drained, went to lie down, and slept for three hours. The only time I take to my bed is if I'm ill or exhausted, and I think it was the second of those - I've been doing too much for my body to handle. Frustrating to say the least, the post-cancer bod has healed on the outside but it seems to have had long term effects on my stamina. Quite tough to accept at times, anyway, tomorrow's another day, trying to stay upbeat. Bought a skipping rope and exercise bad thingy too (quid each from the Pound Shop!) so when I feel stronger, maybe give that a go.
Hope everyone is good, and that Jamrox heals soon. Lovely description of walk Pipp, good on the swimming Mo:)

Hey there @ladybird64,
I've just been reading your exploits and boy you're certainly going for it!! @Pipp is right though to say don't overdo it.

Just so that you know, I posted a thread earlier about some research that demonstrated that by walking 3 mins at a fast pace, then 3 mins recovering at a slow pace (or whatever mix you want to do) actually gives more overall health benefits than continuous walking. I just wonder if you couldn't cut down the time and distance you're walking, but just vary the pace a little and actually end up getting fitter quicker. :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-exciting-information.92345/#post-1057205
(Sorry guys, there's probably a really easy way to link to another thread, but I haven't figured out how to do it):facepalm:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Bebo321 thanks for the info . I've been reading about this and it is really interesting , especially if short of time . I try and do the short sharp thing on my exercise bike ( not at the moment because my knee is sore and we've had to move the bins to the garage because of the wind .

I like walking in the country side , makes me feel good too.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Bebo321 thanks for the info . I've been reading about this and it is really interesting , especially if short of time . I try and do the short sharp thing on my exercise bike ( not at the moment because my knee is sore and we've had to move the bins to the garage because of the wind .

I like walking in the country side , makes me feel good too.
Hi @Jamrox,
Great to see you all keeping up the activity levels! I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Best nurse that better before trying out a sprint on the bike!
I'm keeping up with running around the country lanes here too - with these strong winds I feel as though I have spent as much time running backwards as forwards!:joyful: