Understanding my new blood/glucose monitor

IvorBarnett

Hi all.
I just took delivery of my new and first b/g monitor (SD Codefree) and am a bit confused over the readings that I'm getting. I was diagnosed on the 25th of January 2016 with a Hba1c of 62. I stopped sugar, entirely in tea and coffee and went on a low carb diet (I thought).
My first reading as 7.9 mol/L at 12:40 on the 5th February. Then 13.9 two hours after dinner, 2.6 fasting the next morning, 11.5 2 hours after breakfast and 10.3 after dinner tonight (06/02/2016).
Does this seem correct or is my diet up the pole?
I was expecting flat readings of 6 or 7. Stupid me!
I have been trying to limit my carb intake to 150gms/day. Is that too much?
Somebody help please. I would dearly like to know:
a) What should my carb intake be to obtain acceptable b/g readings?
b) What are acceptable b/g readings?
c) Should b/g reading vary throughout the day and by how much?
My next appointment with my diabetic nurse is not till April but I will attend a local diet get-to-gether for local diabetics next week which could be interesting.
Could somebody please take the time to answer any of my questions as I am the type of person that can't stand having to deal with problems that I don't understand.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Ivor

Reactions: 4 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. Sounds like diet to me...before I took control of mine the readings were all over the place. As for carb intake...I average 25-40 carbs a day max..and that includes an ice-lolly ! Even then, I can have little anomalies. I would say that if you want 6-7 averages or lower...cut out all simple carbs (bread, pasta, rice, cereal, spuds etc). The basic "rule" is check labels and if its 10g or less carbs per 100g of product - that's low carb. Experiment, test and record. I tested frequently for a coupla months to establish what worked and what didn't personally...and now I only test on waking and before my main meal (or any new food) and 2.5 hours after (when level should be back at pre-meal level). Good luck.

IvorBarnett

Thanks to Galja and Pleinster for taking the time to read and answer and to Avocado Sevenfold who should note that, no. That wasn't a typo. This morning, my reading was 7.2 before breakfast so I'm happy again.
14d150f9297b4832c3b2133f26c839ed.jpg

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Cute kitty :cat:

2.6 fasting for a type 2 is very low. Are you on any medication for your diabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that 2.6 was a rogue reading. Either your fingers were contaminated or the strip was faulty, It happens. When you get a very unexpected reading it is wise to do another 2 readings straight away which should confirm matters one way or another, but do wash your and dry your hands thoroughly.

In order to gain benefit from your meter and to sort out your diet, you need to test immediately before you eat and 2 hours after that. Keep the rise as low as possible, less than 2mml/l and preferably around 1 to 1.5mmol/l. More than that and you have eaten too many carbs. Keep a record of your readings alongside a food diary, and soon patterns will emerge showing you which foods are causing the spikes, then you can cut them out or seriously reduce the quantities.

IvorBarnett

Thanks, Bluetit1802, for your very educational tips. Thinking about it, It probably was a faulty reading. I've since managed to stabilise my b/g and, this morning, it was 6.3 fasting and 5.5 after breakfast and light exercise.
I'm pleased with that. The big problem that I have is to keep dinner within limits. After dinner, I'm in the habit of having a Muller Light fruit yogurt but I suspect that the data that they supply on the tub, is flawed as it usually spikes my after dinner reading to about 10. I'll cut it out, this evening and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Avocado Sevenfold, No. I'm not on any diabetes Meds but I do take 5mg Prednisolone for sarcoidosis. I know that this plays havoc with my post-medication measurements but I factor this into what I get.
Thanks to you, too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any fruity low fat yogurt is likely to spike. They remove the fat (fat aids BS levels) and add sugar to compensate. Try a plain full fat one and add a chopped up strawberry instead.