Gliclazide?

desseardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, can anyone tell me what does gliclazide tablets do? Do they suppress Bg levels or raise them. I'm only asking as my Bg levels are always between 4.9 and 7.6. They always go down after meals. I also haven't taken my once a day 40 mg gliclazide tablet for the last 3 days to see what happens. My Bg levels have stayed the same. I'm also eating very sensibly.

Any advice please,
Thanks
Jamie.

desseardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just done my FBG and its 6.6. The highest FBG level I've had.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi desseardo,your right , they are used to lower bs for people who are struggling on diet alone,if you could manage your bs without them ,its something you need to discuss with your doctor,just in case they are aware of other medical reasons you need to take gliclazade.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi, can anyone tell me what does gliclazide tablets do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliclazide is probably a good place to start, is there a reason as to why it might raise BG levels?
Wikipedia will explain how it works. I'm assuming that if you're not on Metformin then your pancreas isn't producing the required insulin, a c-peptide test would establish that. Be aware that taking Gliclazide may cause some weight gain, not necessarily because of eating more, just that it alters the "metabolism". Also you will have to be careful of hypos.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I found the med increase my bs levels and was replaced by victoza

desseardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked my Bg and its 8.5! I think I better start taking those pesky gliclazide's again.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to work ok for me. Since using LCHF diet I started having minor hypo's so had to take extra carbs. Now trying different strategy by omitting my evening Gliclazide dose, and getting better bgl but with no hypo range readings. However, I find that every few days I need to take some Gliclazide again as my bgl rises. Currently taking only one of the 2 evening tabs, and it seems to pull ne down to where I want to be.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Gliclazide increases the amount of insulin being produced by the pancreas, not sure how it will be directly or solely responsible for increased BG, perhaps there was something else going on.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glicizide is used to lower blood glucose levels in the short term to help the body adjust to normal levels. Once you are aware that you are getting real hypos, you must discuss adjusting your meds with your GP.
Once your doctor sees that you are doing well, he should give you a chance to control your diabetes with diet.

I personally wouldn't take them knowing that hypos are a possibility.
If your blood glucose levels are were they are now, I would adjust to the lower dose until they get lower, not introduce more carbs. More carbs are not what you want or need. Keep low carbing, be aware of your blood glucose levels and discuss with your GP.

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My daughter is on Gliclazide and it is difficult to maintain a steady b g l. ( I didn't realise until my daughter was diagnosed just how difficult life can being diabetic. It's a pain and scary at times too.) Her dose has been increased so I am juggling food stuffs to get the right balance I have lowered her carbs but not too much now as the GP said to be careful. Life seems to revolve around food. I found myself this lunch time measuring potatoes against eggs, egg in one hand potato in the other trying to judge which ones to give her! She thinks I have lost it and I am undesired as to whether I have or not? Going to talk to GP again this week. My daughter is having brain surgery in March so perhaps they will change to a different tablet?

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If gliclazide works, then at least there are some pancreas beta cells still working. I take Diamicron MR, 30mg once a day only, with 500mg Metformin 2x a day. Works really well for me in keeping my BS normal, and seems to get activated after each meal (it is MR, so it works 24 hours). I guess my main problem is lack of insulin rather than being insulin resistant.

Reading this article below, it says gliclazide protects beta cells, and may even help regenerate them, as well as other benefits. So it actually helps the pancreas rather than burn it out.

I'll give them some time to settle in for a few months, combined with a good diet of course, before attempting to experiment by getting off the dose.

http://www.medicographia.com/2013/0...h-clinical-benefits-beyond-insulin-secretion/

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on 4 Glic tabs a day. Since starting to use LCHF diet, I started to get low bgl readings, and found myself carbing up to avoid hypo's. Stoopid I thought. Now i am actually omitting one or both of my evening glic tabs most nights. I test my premeal and 2hr PP and provided they are both lowish, then I drop the meds. I only take evening glic if I make a mistake in my diet and need extra help in bringing my bgl down.