Coconut flour cake recipes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, I'm hoping to use coconut flour and sweetener instead of wheat flour and sugar in cake baking but I can only find American recipes which use cup measurements - far too vague and very frustrating! I'm not expecting a perfect victoria sponge but any new recipes would be very much appreciated, thanks!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi there, I'm hoping to use coconut flour and sweetener instead of wheat flour and sugar in cake baking but I can only find American recipes which use cup measurements - far too vague and very frustrating! I'm not expecting a perfect victoria sponge but any new recipes would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Have you looked in the baking recipe forum further down the page? Try using your search engine and putting in coconut flour recipes loads come up then. Be aware though coconut flour is a very acquired taste. If you can use ground almonds smashing cakes can be made with that as well. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd definitely agree about using ground almonds rather than coconut flour - not necessarily because of the taste, but because coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid, and I actually found it virtually impossible to get the consistency right. I've discovered recently though that adding more liquid to a very stiff mix apparently isn't the right thing to do! :wideyed::eek:

I make muffins rather than cakes, and use ground almonds, ground hazelnuts which are good in chocolate muffins, and ground pecans which mix nicely with the ground almonds in carrot cake muffins. Sesame flour which had a nice fine texture closer to coconut flour, is best for savoury stuff, and you can add milled flaxseed and other various seeds to this.

For sweetening, Xylitol is generally recommended for baking, but avoid it if you keep dogs as it extremely toxic for them. I mainly use Sukrin Gold, which is a demerera style erythritol/stevia mix instead.

And deinitely look at our Ewelina's Diabetic Good Baking blog, as her recipes will use our UK units. :p

Robbity