Pancake day - low carb versions

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried a few different low-carb recipes for pancakes over the last few years but they always end up more like a scrambled eggy mess that a pancake.

Does anyone have a foolproof recipe or tips for getting a pancake rather than almond flour scrambled eggs :)

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Using cornflour (2 heaped tablespoons to an egg) plus a splash of full fat milk makes a very runny batter which is acceptable, although the edges tend to curl up when its cooking. You can buy them ready made, I forget which company make them but I think it was DS, although I found the artificial lemon flavour they used a bit off putting.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there are some that use cream cheese, have you tried those yet.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, fingers crossed for Tuesday ;-) I will report back on success/failure

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
'....when a flick of water dances and dies....' - what a gorgeous expression!

And those pancakes sound delicious!

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina I'm going to try your cream cheese ones! And thank you for your recent post about chia chocolate pudding - we love that in our house! I use milled chia, and a jar of homemade full fat yoghurt instead of the milk, which I used the first time as we'd run out of milk.... doh! - but it worked really well.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina I'm going to try your cream cheese ones! And thank you for your recent post about chia chocolate pudding - we love that in our house! I use milled chia, and a jar of homemade full fat yoghurt instead of the milk, which I used the first time as we'd run out of milk.... doh! - but it worked really well.
I love chis seeds, not only as chocolate pudding, but also sprinkled on full fat yogurt. Good idea to milled it first, whole grains look a bit funny :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina I use milled chia in hot chocolate - it makes it gorgeously gloopy!

The process: Cadbury's Highlights plus a heaped tsp milled chia, boiling water, stir, wait 10 minutes, stir, go upstairs, clamber into with hot choc, drink it slurpily (which annoys my husband, bless him) while reading library book, lights out, zzzzzzzz.

Very, very comforting.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pumpkin-Pancakes.jpg

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/20...-flour-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
These are surprisingly good - but you have to make them small, so you can lift them out of the pan in one go - they are quite fragile.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Using cornflour (2 heaped tablespoons to an egg)....

Cornflour is hardly low carb - it contains about 88g carbs per 100g weight - so 2 (15g) level tablespoonfuls would have 26-27g carbs... Plain flour is actually a fair bit less at 70g carbs per 100g. So always take care over and check so called low carb alternative ingredients.

Robbity