medication for type 2 diabetes

doramar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
insincere people
Hello, all. I've had type 2 diabetes since 2003, I use insulin & metformin. However, my GP had to stop the metformin last September, because of kidney problems. Since then, I've had continual problems trying to get my blood glucose down. It's averaging 9.4 readings, I've been on a steady weight loss diet and have lost 21lbs so far, but it hasn't lowered my sugar levels. I want to ask if there are any other tablets available to supplement the insulin. I know of Glicazide, but nothing else. I am not able to do physical exercise or walk too far because I have a severe & chronic balance problem , due to an inner ear condition. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Do you mind me asking what type of foods you are eating? Although lower calorie diets with "healthy" carbs, such as brown bread and rice, porridge or cereal for brekkie may sometimes help with weight loss, they are far from ideal for diabetics! Carbohydrate in any form pushes our glucose levels up, and I'm wondering if that may be the case with you. Lowering carb intake nearly always helps to reduce BG levels - perhaps if you give us some idea of what you're eating, we can give you some pointers?
Can I also add that for many, adjustments to carb levels can make just as much difference, if not more, than medication!

doramar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
insincere people
Hello, Ladybird64. I've been following a low calorie diet, and it does include wholemeal bread and/or crispbreads. I eat very little potatoes and plenty of green & root vegs. For meat, I have red & white varieties. I also eat fresh fruit ie apples, oranges etc. Do you think I should switch to a low carb diet or low GI diet?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hiya. Personally, I'd give the low carb a try, plenty of testing to start with! Fruit pushes sugars up, berries are usually the least harmful but test and see what affects you. Less root veg, more green stuff, cauli, cabbage, spring greens, broccoli..
If I could advise you to do one thing, it's drop bread out of your diet. You may be able to get away with it, but I very much doubt it! Don't be afraid of meat or fish, any type, just not wrapped in breadcrumbs or batter. Eggs, cheese, all good. Your best friend is your meter, try cutting your spuds, pasta, rice etc by half to begin with, replace with veg or salad. It's not a starvation diet and of course, results will be individual to you, but these are good ways to get acclimatised! Hope that helps, have a look at the low carb diet section too xx

Reactions: 2 people

doramar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
insincere people
Thanks, I think I will switch to low carb, you've been very helpful...thank you.