Type 1 Chat

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all my last hba1c was 113 I just need to learn how to control it how do you control your diabetes please

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all my last hba1c was 113 I just need to learn how to control it how do you control your diabetes please

Hey I think I read you were diagnosed in November ? it is tricky at first adjusting to something new , but it soon becomes part of your daily routine .
Testing is the key , test as often as you can before meals 2 hours after and before bed . Or your choice whatever works well for you . Write them down or log them on an app so you can see whats going on and tweak when needed to be tweaked .
I think everyone is still learning about diabetes and no one gets it right all of the time .
And definitely work closely with you your diabetes team and always ask questions when your unsure .
Hopefully you will get there soon. :)

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
7.2% doesn't sound bad to me at all to me lol . I'm due another hba1c in a few months but my latest one was 6.5% .
Yeah I'm also on lantus for my background but on novo rapid for my quick acting. :)
Haha, yeah I guess 7.2 isn't that bad. It's just that normally my hba1c is around 6.3 and I even got it to 5.7 once, so it seemed bad to me compared to what I normally have. And nice job about your last hba1c, 6.5 is pretty good! So, what meter do you use? :)

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is 6.6 and scary stuff like kidney probs stroke amputations...yea I hear ya just gotta take care of it and we should b fine

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, yeah I guess 7.2 isn't that bad. It's just that normally my hba1c is around 6.3 and I even got it to 5.7 once, so it seemed bad to me compared to what I normally have. And nice job about your last hba1c, 6.5 is pretty good! So, what meter do you use? :)
Oh wow lol your hba1cs are amazing. You have such tight control , what do you do to make sure it's all in check like that ?
I'm using the freestyle insulinx think I've had that just under a year now , what do you use ?

:)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is 6.6 and scary stuff like kidney probs stroke amputations...yea I hear ya just gotta take care of it and we should b fine

Your hba1c is also fab !
Do you have a little boy or a little girl I can't remember if you said or not ?
Oh right I see yes , I suppose I could sit and think about all of that but I'd drive myself mad with all the what ifs , like you say with good control we've got a chance of stoping that. :)

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh wow lol your hba1cs are amazing. You have such tight control , what do you do to make sure it's all in check like that ?
I'm using the freestyle insulinx think I've had that just under a year now , what do you use ?

That's cool, I use the freestyle insulinx too! As far as keeping my hba1c good, It all comes down to eating super low carb and checking my blood sugar often (and exercise of course). I have no carbs at breakfast (well no carbs isn't really possible, but you get the idea) and for lunch I only eat vegetables, meat, and maybe some fruit or nuts, but mostly vegetables. I'll also have a little cheese occasionally. Dinner is very low carb, no fruit and ideally no nuts either, only vegetables and meat ideally, sometimes I'll have a little something different though, as long as it's low carb. And besides the eating, getting some exercise is very important. Cardio seems to be the most effective at lowering blood sugar, although some weight training is good too. Lifting weights doesn't seem to lower blood sugar though. The type of exercise that lowers blood sugar best is anything that makes you sweat and gets your heart rate up. One last thing that is hard to do, but definitely helps is to check blood sugar in the middle of the night and take a small amount of insulin if necessary. It's important to error on the side of caution with this dose however, since you definitely don't want to overdo it and get low while sleeping.

Well, that's about everything I do, and of course every once in a while I'll have a "cheat" meal and go out to a restaurant or whatever, but what's important is to get back on track after that and not loose discipline. Because ultimately it's okay to have a high occasionally, as long as you get it back down fast and keep your numbers good the rest of the time. What really causes the most damage is prolonged periods of high blood sugar, that's what you want to avoid at all costs.

Anyway, that's about it! Sorry for it being such a long post haha :)

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are we supposed to eat low carbs not high no one has told me much about it just gave me a book.

ashleighw1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Ashleigh. :)

Wow that must of been a shock finding out you have diabetes , how did you find out ?

I went to the drs for something else and they dipped my urine. Came back highly positive for both ketones and glucose. Ended up on a drip because I was so dehydrated

ashleighw1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are we supposed to eat low carbs not high no one has told me much about it just gave me a book.
f35301bb8f1c34f64a1b2bfb28b36895.jpg

Not the best of photos but this is in a booklet I was given. Tells you whats high and whats low. My dietician told me red is more for treats, amber is sort of middle and green is the lower amount

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's cool, I use the freestyle insulinx too! As far as keeping my hba1c good, It all comes down to eating super low carb and checking my blood sugar often (and exercise of course). I have no carbs at breakfast (well no carbs isn't really possible, but you get the idea) and for lunch I only eat vegetables, meat, and maybe some fruit or nuts, but mostly vegetables. I'll also have a little cheese occasionally. Dinner is very low carb, no fruit and ideally no nuts either, only vegetables and meat ideally, sometimes I'll have a little something different though, as long as it's low carb. And besides the eating, getting some exercise is very important. Cardio seems to be the most effective at lowering blood sugar, although some weight training is good too. Lifting weights doesn't seem to lower blood sugar though. The type of exercise that lowers blood sugar best is anything that makes you sweat and gets your heart rate up. One last thing that is hard to do, but definitely helps is to check blood sugar in the middle of the night and take a small amount of insulin if necessary. It's important to error on the side of caution with this dose however, since you definitely don't want to overdo it and get low while sleeping.

Well, that's about everything I do, and of course every once in a while I'll have a "cheat" meal and go out to a restaurant or whatever, but what's important is to get back on track after that and not loose discipline. Because ultimately it's okay to have a high occasionally, as long as you get it back down fast and keep your numbers good the rest of the time. What really causes the most damage is prolonged periods of high blood sugar, that's what you want to avoid at all costs.

Anyway, that's about it! Sorry for it being such a long post haha :)

Oh do you lol yeah I quiet like that bm meter .
Wow you do amazing with everything your doing and it's clearly working , and you sound as if you do a lot of exercise too , never thought about the weights actually , my fiancé does weights might have to go join him on the lighter ones of course lol .
I suppose I do the complete opposite to you , not that I eat bad or anything but I will eat my meals but not low carb and inject and cover the carbs with insulin , you do amazing with your low carbing .
How much background insulin are you on ?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think yourll get a few different answers to this one lol , as you can see above , people low carb people don't , I personally don't low carb but I manage my diabetes well and I'm happy with my hba1c and readings .
I think it's something you should try and get in contact with your Dsn and talk through it all with them .

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the drs for something else and they dipped my urine. Came back highly positive for both ketones and glucose. Ended up on a drip because I was so dehydrated

Totally unexpected then , how are you finding it so far , are you slowly coming to turns , bet it still hasn't sunk in .