What came first??

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just wondered as I think it's pretty important to understand. I was always healthy, worked hard enjoyed life etc. Then all of a sudden I put loads of weight on, felt so ill and tired. Obviously had tests and as told I was a diabetic. For a year I was trying various medications and strengths and not a lot was working. In December they put me on victoza, 2000mg metformin and 180mg glitgazide a day and my sugars became normal. Started to feel great and lost all the weight I gained. Now the question is was it the weight or the diabetes that was the cause? Just people are judged harshly most of the time it's almost abuse from various people. I'm sure we all have been in that situation.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome, are you type 1 or 2 ? only asking because of your medication.
I am never suffered abuse or negative remarks regarding diabetes. But joe public do seem to like to voice their opinions, however ill informed they are.
You are doing well and with a good attitude too.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm told it's more like genetic due to my family all having it. My father got it early 30's and I also got it at 30. But it actually took a while for doctors to test me because they didn't believe I was old enough. They tried to send me to the sexual health clinic to get tested lol. Was only when I moved and the new doctors took me serious. So I guess I'm t2 but I guess genetic.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The research is now pointing to weight gain as a symptom of type 2 because of an increase in insulin resistance. You become less efficient at using the same amount of insulin. This means you start producing extra so every time you eat your food is stored as fat with little left for energy so you still feel hungry. The insulin levels don't come down until you have fried the poor old cells that have been working so hard to produce insulin and they start packing up.
In other people, they may not put on obvious weight but fat is stored around the liver to give them high insulin resistance. And they fry their cells without knowing too.

I think that is it. If I'm wrong someone please correct.

I think there is a definite genetic something at play because some people are more insulin resistant than others as they age.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin resistance was also a good thing to have as hunter gatherers apparently as it stopped you losing weight in times of scarce food.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So I guess I'm t2 but I guess genetic.

You should nonetheless find out though I believe you're probably T2 with your descriptions.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Now the question is was it the weight or the diabetes that was the cause? Just people are judged harshly most of the time it's almost abuse from various people.

Some interesting facts (Source Victoza website):
  1. When food exits your stomach too quickly after you eat, your blood sugar levels can rise out of range.
  2. When your liver makes too much sugar, your blood sugar can get too high.
  3. When your blood sugar is elevated, your pancreas needs to make additional insulin to restore your levels to normal range.
Guess how Victoza works?
  1. Victoza® slows food leaving your stomach. GLP-1 is normally released from your small intestine when you eat. This slows down the process of food leaving your stomach, which helps control your blood sugar after meals.
  2. Victoza® helps prevent your liver from making too much sugar.
  3. Victoza® helps the pancreas produce more insulin when your blood sugar levels are high. Victoza® does this by helping important cells work the way they should. These cells are called beta cells and they help control blood sugar by making and releasing insulin.
People can have insulin resistance, therefore producing more insulin than normally required and therefore storing fat like it's going out of fashion for years before diabetes is diagnosed.
As your medication is encouraging more insulin, you're probably type II, I'm only suggesting that because I thought type I is when your pancreas produces NO insulin whatsoever, so you have to inject it.

See if you can get a c-peptide test to say once and for all how much insulin your pancreas produces.

I have been judged by my weight and indeed I have asked by complete strangers things like Why don't to eat less? Have you thought of a gastric band? and have you ever thought of going on a diet? I insist on telling them that as I eat less than 100 gms carb a day and usually less than 1200 cals, I'm already eating less than my GP would like and I have no intention of eating more than I eat now, did they have anything in mind? Usually met by silence although I didn't realise that I had a captive audience with one lady, until I stopped to breath and she limped off on her crutches so fast . . . . . . I let her go, she'd obviously had enough and regretted opening her mouth.

Luckily no criticisms about my diabetes, the people I know, know little so don't comment and they all know how little I eat in comparison to some of our circle of friends.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm told it's more like genetic due to my family all having it. My father got it early 30's and I also got it at 30. But it actually took a while for doctors to test me because they didn't believe I was old enough. They tried to send me to the sexual health clinic to get tested lol. Was only when I moved and the new doctors took me serious. So I guess I'm t2 but I guess genetic.

Thanks, I only asked because under your avatar says Type 1. An STD clinic :wideyed: well I should be surprised but someone on a dating site asked me something similar and implied my diabetes was Aids/HIV related, what a crass individual :banghead::rolleyes:
Good luck and all the best.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me it was the diabetes came first. I added adipose tissue and visceral fat later as a direct result of either the insulin resistance or the meds. I believe i am a genetic T2D since my mother was a T1D , I was a 10 stone weakling at diagnosis, and have taken the last 10 years to get back there. i still have my 'beer gut' even though I gave up booze a long time ago. i am hoping my LCHF diet will reduce the bulge, and current progress shows I may need to add some new notches to my belt. I already wear braces for added support. My daughter still goes on at me about my 'pregnancy', but she is impressed by my 3 stone loss this last year, so realises it is not due to my bad habits. Since she is also on my LCHF diet, she now realises that sugar itself is not my nemesis but all carbs are.

Reactions: 7 people

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I done a lot of research before going on victoza, and I tale so many tablets I'm surprised I don't rattle lol. But it really is worth it. I felt so ill before I really thought is life worth it feeling so ill everyday?? Then I started taking it and my bloods are always 4-4.8 fasting 2 hours after food are no higher than 6! I feel normal again which I forgot what that was like!! So to me it's amazing feeling lol. Life is good again I'm happy and all the weight just fell off me. So I feel good. It's not for everyone I'm sure but I would rather feel normal and good than how I did

Reactions: 7 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
someone on a dating site asked me something similar and implied my diabetes was Aids/HIV related, what a crass individual :banghead::rolleyes:

Crass? What a great word and how descriptive, ignorant and insensitive. Are they allowed to vote? . . . . . . . . Explains everything!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Crass? What a great word and how descriptive, ignorant and insensitive. Are they allowed to vote? . . . . . . . . Explains everything!
Diabetes = autoimmune, HIV = auto immune Voila. easy to join the dots isn't it? You don't have to be crass, but it helps.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just a bit tenuous, diabetes sexually transmitted? The association of immune dysfunction in patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and AIDS and the development of autoimmune diseases is intriguing. (source: PubMed) Mr pedantic would suggest that HIV ≠ auto immune. Autoimmune is where the immune system attacks healthy cells. HIV is where the virus attacks the cells.

Type I diabetes is classified as an autoimmune disease and type II is only just being recognised as an autoimmune disease but only where the immune systems attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas (not 100% clear. Source - Medical News Today)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its not a question of what the boffins say in their erudite reports, it is down to how the media interpret it, and how the man in the street perceives it. But yes, the incident reported was in connection with a dating site, so maybe there was a sexual element to the reported incident even if only at a subconcious level. it was not what i was thinking when I commented. Anyway this train is going in a different direction to the OP,

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
It's still good to learn people's experiences. I think the greatest most popular comment I get about it is "your only diabetic" like I'm actually milking the situation or something?? I don't really go around bragging about it lol. Only the fact that at the moment everything's going well and I'm feeling great. But that's in the hop it pushes people who are struggling at the moment to actually get out that hole and feel good again. Let's face it it's not the greatest feeling with high or low blood sugars.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, I only asked because under your avatar says Type 1. An STD clinic :wideyed: well I should be surprised but someone on a dating site asked me something similar and implied my diabetes was Aids/HIV related, what a crass individual :banghead::rolleyes:

I don't want to derail, but the person in question only had to ask me what it was (or leg it) and I would of given a brief description, so yes, still a crass, pathetic individual :mad: stupid is, stupid does ;)

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
It's sad how little people understand. And they should ask for sure. Not just judge. Must be hard on dating sites if and when u tell people about it? And how they react?

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
That's quite personal so no one feel pressured to answer that lol

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i noticed weight gain before i was diagnosed as t2 last March, the weight gain was drastic over a 12 month period, but as i was always slim it didnt bother me at first, then i hit 16st then the symptoms started, 2 blood test later and bingo your t2!